Windows 10: Computer shutting down after idle for ~30 seconds

Discus and support Computer shutting down after idle for ~30 seconds in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have had a new surface for 4 days now, and just today I have started experiencing issues with the machine turning itself off after ~30 seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Michael Tatti, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Computer shutting down after idle for ~30 seconds

Hi,

I have had a new surface for 4 days now, and just today I have started experiencing issues with the machine turning itself off after ~30 seconds of inactivity. If the mouse isn't moved / no keys pressed, it will not even make it login screen before turning itself off, but as long as I keep the inputs active, it will remain on and function as normal.

When computer turns off, it does so immediately, it does not 'process' a shutdown. When restarted all open files are autorecovered.

If helpful;

-Windows 10 Version 1909 OS Build 18363.778

-I don't know the exact surface model, it's brand new running i7 / 500GB drive

-I have not run or installed any new programs/applications today

-Power/Sleep settings are set to "never" turn off

-I have toggled both Best Battery Life and Best Performance Mode

Appreciate any guidance or other things I should be checking to diagnose the issue.

Thank you,

Michael

:)

Michael Tatti, Apr 25, 2020

2. Computer shuts down when idle

You're getting a little closer to finding the rogue program. It not only shuts down Windows when idle but it also interferes with msconfig. The next step is obvious: Run msconfig while in Safe Mode.

Frederik Long, Apr 25, 2020
  3. Windows 10 closes down when left idle for 30 seconds

Thank you, he tried that and all of the settings are set at 30 minutes but it still closes the screen after 20-30 seconds when left idle.

elizabethbooth-900, Apr 25, 2020
  4. Computer shutting down after idle for ~30 seconds

Computer will not shut down

I have tried all the things listed on web and my computer will NOT stay shut down.... Win8.1 OS I will push the "shut down" button in the lower right hand corner and it shuts down and within 30 seconds it comes back on.

sunyflowers, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Computer shutting down after idle for ~30 seconds

1. Computer shutting down after idle for ~30 seconds - Similar Threads - Computer shutting down

2. Computer shuts down if idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer shuts down if idle: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r8dt5z3q0morbc5ts81j0/event.evtx?rlkey=ju0gp4jevtc45n0isndgkj663&dl=0Here is the events happening before the computer crashed. I noticed that it always starts with the screen flickering,...
  3. Computer shuts down if idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer shuts down if idle: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r8dt5z3q0morbc5ts81j0/event.evtx?rlkey=ju0gp4jevtc45n0isndgkj663&dl=0Here is the events happening before the computer crashed. I noticed that it always starts with the screen flickering,...
  4. Computer Screen Dims after 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Screen Dims after 30 seconds: I recently updated my Windows 10 Pro computer surface laptop 4 and now after 30 seconds the screen dims. When I move the mouse, the screen lightens up again. Then in 30 seconds it dims again.Any ideas?Thanks,Ken...
  5. Computer Screen Dims after 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Screen Dims after 30 seconds: I recently updated my Windows 10 Pro computer surface laptop 4 and now after 30 seconds the screen dims. When I move the mouse, the screen lightens up again. Then in 30 seconds it dims again.Any ideas?Thanks,Ken...
  6. Computer Screen Dims after 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. PC shuts down seconds after logging in

in Windows 10 Support
    PC shuts down seconds after logging in: It just started happening about 35 minutes prior to posting this. I was burning a dvd and the pc attempted to shut down, but I kept mashing the escape key until the dvd finished burning. I then let it shut down. But upon reboot and login, cmd starts and then pc shuts down...
  8. Toshiba laptop/ Windows 10 shuts down after 30 seconds or so

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Toshiba laptop/ Windows 10 shuts down after 30 seconds or so: I have a Toshiba laptop that wouldn't boot to Windows. So I tried all the repair options from the repair menu. Nothing worked, so I decided just to reload Windows 10 from a recovery drive. Tried both options, keep files, and clean entire hard drive. It would shut down a...
  9. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  10. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...