Windows 10: Computer slowed way down after transferring files

Discus and support Computer slowed way down after transferring files in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a 4 month old computer running windows 10 and it was upgraded to 64 ram when I bought it. I was transferring a lot of business & drawings files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mslacat2363, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Computer slowed way down after transferring files

I have a 4 month old computer running windows 10 and it was upgraded to 64 ram when I bought it. I was transferring a lot of business & drawings files between two older WD external hard drives and a brand new much larger duo raid hard drive yesterday. I am talking Terra bytes of information. The type of transfers that you set up the transfer and then go watch a TV show or have lunch. I have been meaning to do this clean up for 2-3 years. After I was done and had everything the way I wanted it, my computer was extremely slow. Opening up Autocad which usually takes 15-30 seconds was taking 6 minutes, and failed the first time. Even after I got Autocad up and running it was lagging something terrible. So I did a complete reboot, maybe clear out some memory of something. It came back and it was still as slow as molasses. I decided then to call it a day and shut my system 100% down. Got up this morning turned on the computer and same thing I hoped it had fixed itself. When I booted the computer after I logged on everything initially looked normal but instead of an arrow pointer I had one of those spinning circles of death that continued 4-5 minutes. I scanned my compute with Webroot, nothing. Started up Malewarebytes but it currently has been on "checking for updates" for 45 minutes now. I get a lot of "not responding" messages with programs and then after a while the program does what it was suppose to. I even opened Chrome and after a awhile it came up, but going from one website to another another it is like the internet has slowed down to a crawl I have blazing speeds. I even got a "website not responding should we wait or discontinue" While I was typing forum just a few minutes ago this I got an error message "OneDrive needs your attention" "There is a sync issue in OneDrive". I do not use OneDrive. I assume it is cloud based application. None of the the other desk tops, lap tops, phones or tablets on my wifi system are showing any signs of slow down. It should be noted though the computer in question as well as another unaffected desk top is hardwired cat-5 into the router though. One more note: My computer seems extremely quiet this morning more than usual, but I am not sure if this is because it has been sitting for 12 hours with no power or not, as usually I leave my computer on 24/7.

Any thoughts? Do you know of a trust worthy diagnostic program? Could it be hardware?

:)

mslacat2363, Aug 10, 2020
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Aug 10, 2020
  3. LonGun Win User
    Need Help Files Transfer

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition. That computer has two internal HDDs:

The 1st HDD is C:\ that running Windows. And it has 20GB total of capacity.
    The 2nd HDD is D:\ that is empty. And it has 90GB total of capacity.

The C:\ drive is almost run out of space (full). Is there a way I can transfer everything in the C:\ drive to the D:\ drive and begin to use the D:\ drive from there on as primary drive?
    Can the Windows Files Transfer feature in XP transfer everything I have in C:\ to D:\? If it cannot, then which way can I use to perform the above step?

Thank you.

LonGun, Aug 10, 2020
  4. JEMal_364 Win User

Computer slowed way down after transferring files

file transfer between computers

Tried Your suggestion. Still slow xfer. Decided to buy a flash drive. It is much faster way to transfer large files. Thanks for your help.

JEMal_364, Aug 10, 2020
Thema:

Computer slowed way down after transferring files

1. Computer slowed way down after transferring files - Similar Threads - Computer slowed down

2. Slowed down computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slowed down computer: Has anyone had this problem. Since i installed the update KB5031356 my computer as become a to act at a snail pace I have uninstalled the update and will see the response once it it is out.George...
  3. Slowed down computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slowed down computer: Has anyone had this problem. Since i installed the update KB5031356 my computer as become a to act at a snail pace I have uninstalled the update and will see the response once it it is out.George...
  4. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  5. speed of file transfers suddenly slow down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    speed of file transfers suddenly slow down: Hello , I bought my new laptop 1 month ago . I have lenovo ideapad 3 gaming with rtx 3060 , windows 11 , 256gb ssd , 1tb hdd . i have an issue that my file transfer is very slow and i think it's after the update or i don't know what causes this problem . so help me to solve...
  6. Slow file transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow file transfer: I have an issue with slow file transfer (windows 10). I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1.If launched from local drive works perfect 2.If launched from mapped drive (same folder on the same hdd) works very slow 3.If...
  7. Computer slowed down

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer slowed down: My pc was running very slow for last few days. I did not install new except some updates ( I'm not talking about windows 10 updates ). My antivirus shows no activity of malware's. When I try to turn pc on or off it takes roughly 5 minutes. Things like blender, Photoshop or...
  8. Computer slows down after use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slows down after use.: Hello. I have a problem. After a week or two, there was a Windows 10 update and I update it. After some use my computer is acting weird. I use it for 1-2h and it starts lagging and I cant do nothing unless I restart my computer. The older Windows 10 wasnt lagging at all. I...
  9. Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow downs in SATA transfer speed: I am having an odd issue where the transfer speed from my HDDs slows to unusable after my computer has been on for a while. I have my primary OS drive as a Samsung 850 1TB SSD, paired with 2 x 3TB Toshiba HDDs. When I first start my computer, everything works as it...
  10. Sata HD Causing computer to slow way down.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sata HD Causing computer to slow way down.: I Have A SSD As my Main Boot OS Drive. I also Have A WD Sata 6TB for storage of files Etc, when my PC goes to sleep and i wake it up it is SOOOO slow to wake up because of the WD taking for ever to wake up. When not Plugged in my PC will wake up almost instantly. Is there any...