Windows 10: Computer slows down considerably when large HDD is installed

Discus and support Computer slows down considerably when large HDD is installed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a 3TB drive with all of my programs on it. This comes along with a 250 SDD that is used for the OS. Recently, I have had issues with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by joplrw10, Apr 8, 2016.

1. joplrw10 Win User

Computer slows down considerably when large HDD is installed

Have a 3TB drive with all of my programs on it. This comes along with a 250 SDD that is used for the OS.

Recently, I have had issues with performance of the computer getting worse, games not loading, programs hanging up.

But I remove the 3TB drive and suddenly all performance drag is removed. Everything works great. Any suggestions for why the 3TB drive would cause such significant slowdowns, and how to remedy it?

Thank you.

:)

joplrw10, Apr 8, 2016

2. after upgrades to Windows 10 my computer has slowed down and getting into different web sites takes long time and once in unable at times to manuver within site

after downloading when turning off computer and receive message Microsoft will be upgrading my windows 10 and upon completion my computer slows down considerably and when attempting to log into different sites it takes a long time.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category***

RICHARD JANKOWSKI, Apr 8, 2016
  3. JackieAll Win User
    Hi, how to permanently disable Lenovo Thinkvantage Toolbox from Thinkpad SL510 in Windows 10

Hi I have a Lenovo Thinkpad SL510. The Lenovo Thinkvantage Tookbox has NEVER worked properly and slows the computer down considerably. I have searched on ways to disable it permanently but nothing seems to be written for Windows 10. Instead, I see that
    Lenovo has replaced the software with newer applications which I have installed and don't seem to prevent the toolbar from appearing and slowing everything down. It is useless. I wish to remove it entirely so it does not slow down the computer. I would appreciate
    any help on this.

JackieAll, Apr 8, 2016
  4. joplrw10 Win User

SPECS are as follows.

Computer specs.
    i7-4790K processor
    Gigabyte Z97-D3H Motherboard
    Radeon R9 390 Nitro 8GB - Graphics card
    16GB Hyper X (4x4GB sticks) - RAM
    Sandisk SDD 250GB - OS drive
    Seagate 3TB drive 7200 RPM - Main HDD

joplrw10, Apr 8, 2016
  5. CountMike New Member
    See in your advanced options in power plan if you can disable HDD from going to Sleep Mode, that may help.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer slows down considerably when large HDD is installed - Similar Threads - Computer slows down

2. external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible: I booted my my computer and it booted slower than usual so I just shrugged it off. When I noticed it just appeared as "Local Disk F:" I started to worry and whenever I would interact with it, it would crash explorer so I had to restart. then I unplugged it and the computer...
  3. external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible: I booted my my computer and it booted slower than usual so I just shrugged it off. When I noticed it just appeared as "Local Disk F:" I started to worry and whenever I would interact with it, it would crash explorer so I had to restart. then I unplugged it and the computer...
  4. external hdd not working. slows down computer inaccessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Connected HDD Slowing down System ...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connected HDD Slowing down System ...: I have 2 M2 SSD s one with the Windows 11 the other one is for games. I have 2 external HDDs for more games and stuff, when i connect them there are times the OS goes very laggy FPS drops in games and in the system ... The same issue i had on Windows 10 too.If i disconnect...
  6. Connected HDD Slowing down System ...

Connected HDD Slowing down System ...: I have 2 M2 SSD s one with the Windows 11 the other one is for games. I have 2 external HDDs for more games and stuff, when i connect them there are times the OS goes very laggy FPS drops in games and in the system ... The same issue i had on Windows 10 too.If i disconnect...
  7. Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.: Hi all!I was having issues with my computer last month and came here for some help. You can see the issues I was having in this post here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-for-computer-is-fine-for-first-ten/0715a9b2-e246-4cd1-bbac-ba80a2e75b5eI...
  8. Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.

Download speed for computer slowing down considerably after startup.: Hi all!I was having issues with my computer last month and came here for some help. You can see the issues I was having in this post here:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-for-computer-is-fine-for-first-ten/0715a9b2-e246-4cd1-bbac-ba80a2e75b5eI...
  9. HDD gradually slowing down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD gradually slowing down: I'm facing issues with new hard drive yet it's transfer and download speed is diminished quickly regardless of whatever framework equivalent any longer. Seagate backup HDD 2TB....
  10. Computer slows down when downloading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer slows down when downloading: Hello When I am downloading something, like a game or video, my computer slows down. For example mouse begins to stutter, apps begin to non responsive, videos stop and buffer for several seconds, etc. I have latest drivers from manufacturer websites, have all Windows...