Windows 10: Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset

Discus and support Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just came back from a holiday and my desktop suddenly isn't working properly. Everything will work fine, but after a little while everything stops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by iTzChimpy, Jan 9, 2019.

1. iTzChimpy Win User

Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset

I just came back from a holiday and my desktop suddenly isn't working properly. Everything will work fine, but after a little while everything stops functioning normally AT THE SAME TIME, eg youtube stops working, I cannot open any programs, nor can I close them, my mouse works, but nothing in my taskbar works nor does the search function. I can click between browser tabs, but cannot close them and if I try to open one it just stays blank (no startup page), then after a while the computer completely freezes and I have to hard reset using the power button.

If I try to upgrade my antivirus software it freezes regardless of whether the computer has been on for more than a minute, and only happens when its about to finish, meaning as it writes onto the C drive. I have successfully updated my graphics card driver however so it might not be writing that is causing the freezes, however I strongly believe that it writing to the SSD C drive causes the freeze.

I have done a SFC scan and repaired all the files, however the problem still occurs. And I have removed my anti virus to see if that is the cause, and the problem has persisted.

What can I do to fix this

:)

iTzChimpy, Jan 9, 2019
  2. Vykis Win User

Windows freezes that require hard reset

Thank you for reply I got BSOD this morning when booting ant this is what your suggested program shows. All I found on google is that hal.dll is connected to windows xp or boot.ini so that makes no sense, I suppose this file is corrupted so should I change it manually by getting dll from internet or there is another way to fix it? also ntosknl.exe so it point to my RAM?

Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset [​IMG]

Vykis, Jan 9, 2019
  3. Naki Win User
    GPU-Z 0.7.8 / 0.7.9 / 0.8.0 Bios reading not possible GTX670-solved with gpu-z 0.8.1

@Maban - does GPU-Z fail the same way for you the way it does for me? I.e. total system freeze/lockup, requiring a hard reset?

@W1zzard - I will try the suggested steps later today, as I am not near that PC at the moment.

Naki, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset

Far Cry 4 - computer froze. Only hard reset helps.

ello. Yesterday when playing Far Cry 4 my computer suddenly freezes with "BZZZZZ" sound.
    Only hard reset helps. So after reset i again run Far Cry 4 and left for 12 hours in background. And after 12 hours without freez, all fine. But why i was had one single freez yesterday ( only hard reset helps ) ?
    There is no any minidumps file to analyze. Minidump folder is empty.
    I run even Prime95 for 10 hours, without errors.

My pc is:
    4790 stock
    8gb ram
    Sabertooth Z79 Mark2
    Asus Strix 980 ( Oc factory )
    Corsair 750 RM
    HDD 500GB SATAIII

I dont OC my pc, all is stock.
    I am using 334.75 WHQL.

IS this game\software problem or hardware?
    Like i say all is fine now, but i am worried about that one single freez ( only hard reset helps ) from yesterday.
    Thank you for any suggestion.
    Should i be worried?

litwicki24, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset

1. Computer 'soft' freezes after 5-10 mins of use and requires hard reset - Similar Threads - Computer 'soft' freezes

2. Computer freezing indefinitely after 30 mins or less of light use

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing indefinitely after 30 mins or less of light use: Hi all,I'm having issues with my pc running windows 11 with constant freezing until i disconnect the power cable.In event viewer these messages are frequently showing up before the message of unexpected shutdown:File System Filter 'BHDrvx64' 10.0,...
  3. Computer freezing indefinitely after 30 mins or less of light use

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing indefinitely after 30 mins or less of light use: Hi all,I'm having issues with my pc running windows 11 with constant freezing until i disconnect the power cable.In event viewer these messages are frequently showing up before the message of unexpected shutdown:File System Filter 'BHDrvx64' 10.0,...
  4. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.: I am having completely random freezes to my desktop. The screen will freeze in place, sound cuts from speakers, and it requires a hard restart in order to end it. What could be the causes, and how to fix it.PC Specs:i7 4790Asrock H81m HDS 1150Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB...
  5. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.: I am having completely random freezes to my desktop. The screen will freeze in place, sound cuts from speakers, and it requires a hard restart in order to end it. What could be the causes, and how to fix it.PC Specs:i7 4790Asrock H81m HDS 1150Kingston Fury HyperX 16GB...
  6. Computer freezes randomly, no sound, hard reset required.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer Freezing, Hard reset required - Kernel Power 41

Computer Freezing, Hard reset required - Kernel Power 41: My computer consistently freezes while playing video game. When the computer freezes it locks solid leaving the last thing on the screen and the audio glitches out as well sounding like its just playing the last sound extended until I long press the power button. Event Viewer...
  8. Endless BSODs and freeze ups requiring hard resets

Endless BSODs and freeze ups requiring hard resets: Hi there, Recently I've encountered errors with my 6-year-old custom-built rig. At first it was suddenly freezing up, requiring a hard reset to get it to recover. After two weeks or so of this, it then graduated to BSODs, each with different error codes which led me to...
  9. Hard freezing hard reboot required

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard freezing hard reboot required: Hi there, I recently upgraded my PC to: i7-8700k MSI Tomahawk G.Skill Trident 2x8GB 3200 Ever since I did the upgrade and fresh installed Windows 10 to my SSD, I've been having quite a few problems with this build, My computer sometimes maybe once a day hard freezes to the...
  10. Windows freezes that require hard reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows freezes that require hard reset: Hello, I am just going to take you through what happened and what I have done. A week ago I was playing games on steam and just went AFK for the day and when I came back in the evening I tried to launch a game (RUST) and it just didn't load and soon game was not...