Windows 10: Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot

Discus and support Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Background: Over the past few weeks I've been getting crashes/BSOD, usually related to kernel-power/IRQL NOT EQUAL OR LESS. I thought it was my GPU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by elaichkeung1, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot

Background: Over the past few weeks I've been getting crashes/BSOD, usually related to kernel-power/IRQL NOT EQUAL OR LESS. I thought it was my GPU since I didn't DDU when I first got it (went from AMD to NVIDIA). But I just got a BSOD today after DDU and when I went to the minidump, it turns out that I had somehow disabled dump writing. So I'm just waiting for the next crash to get a dump log.

Anyways, I was doing some troubleshooting today and tried doing the Driver Verifier and Windows Memory Diagnostic, after doing both of those I started to get microstutters on restart every couple of seconds (where everything lags behind). I'm on Version 1809, and from what it seems there were some problems with it a year ago with standby memory issues, but I'm not sure if that was ever resolved. Windows Memory Diagnostic returned no problems and since my crashes happen most of the time without a BSOD, Driver Verifier hasn't proved helpful.

I have tried SFC scans multiple times with no integrity violations.

The main problem that I am running into is that my computer will crash in two different ways, one with a BSOD and the other just stalls/freezes. The latter happens at random times, and there is no audio or visual output, just everything stops but what was on my monitor remains on my monitor. Only thing that I can do is to manually reboot my computer, but since it doesn't progress to a BSOD, there are no dump files.

I decided to pull up afterburner and to my surprise I saw that my GPU Clock/Memory clock values were tanking and fluctuating wildly.

https://imgur.com/a/HPIjSKe

These are some screenshots.

As you can probably see, usage/temperature graphs are all pretty baseline and normal, but jumping down to the Core/Memory clock graphs you can see some big spikes, and they only just started to happen a few hours earlier. GPU temperatures hover between 34-38. And prior to today, my base gpu clock was 1600 Mhz and base memory clock was 4000Mhz. While I am still getting microstutters when the clock values aren't fluctuating around, I think the problem might be related. On Task Manager, there are no fluctuations in CPU/Memory.

Any ideas of what might be causing these microstutters?

:)

elaichkeung1, Jul 5, 2019
  2. Thrackan Win User

PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Jul 5, 2019
  3. TCanuck42 Win User
    Building A Computer. Experts Help Please.

THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

TCanuck42, Jul 5, 2019
  4. TCanuck42 Win User

Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot

Building A Computer. Experts Help Please.

THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

TCanuck42, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot

1. Computer Stalls but no BSOD, requires manual reboot - Similar Threads - Computer Stalls BSOD

2. Network services require manual restart every time after computer reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network services require manual restart every time after computer reboots: Hi, every time my computer reboots I need to manually restart network services see attached screenshot. Here are the details.This problem began after I followed mcafee foolish suggestion to uninstall network adapters and reinstall them to fix their vpn issue. Back then, I...
  3. Network services require manual restart every time after computer reboots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network services require manual restart every time after computer reboots: Hi, every time my computer reboots I need to manually restart network services see attached screenshot. Here are the details.This problem began after I followed mcafee foolish suggestion to uninstall network adapters and reinstall them to fix their vpn issue. Back then, I...
  4. Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot: I have been having this issue for about a month now. Seemingly randomly, i get this while playing games, browsing the web, switching tabs, etc. my main monitor will turn black, and my system will freeze the rgb on my ram also stops. Sometimes it stutters a couple times when...
  5. Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer randomly crashes, forced to manually reboot: I have been having this issue for about a month now. Seemingly randomly, i get this while playing games, browsing the web, switching tabs, etc. my main monitor will turn black, and my system will freeze the rgb on my ram also stops. Sometimes it stutters a couple times when...
  6. Win 10 reboot stalls

in Cortana
    Win 10 reboot stalls: Dual system win 7 and recently installed or tried to install win 10 via Media tool. Each OS on separate hd's. When I was informed that the computer would now shut down after installing all files and reboot....it did shut down but never rebooted. I have a bcd program that...
  7. Win 10 reboot stalls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 reboot stalls: Dual system win 7 and recently installed or tried to install win 10 via Media tool. Each OS on separate hd's. When I was informed that the computer would now shut down after installing all files and reboot....it did shut down but never rebooted. I have a bcd program that...
  8. Win 10 reboot stalls

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    media playback stalls and requires reboots Dell XPS 8930 WIN10: Every time I turn on my computer, I find I have to reboot in order to play audio or video files. I have seen many threads saying the problem is with Windows 10. If so, what is the fix? I have been to Dell and uploaded all updates they have for this machine, and no change with...
  10. Windows 10 - Manual Modem Reboot required often

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Manual Modem Reboot required often: Hi Windows Brainstrust, I have a problem where I need to manually reboot my modem just about every time I start up and log onto Windows10. In fact it may take a few attempts before I can access the internet. Network Status shows as "Connected to the Internet" and Diagnostic...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to check if my pc requires a reboot