Windows 10: Computer started locking up after Windows update

Discus and support Computer started locking up after Windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since Windows update my computer has been locking up. It started when Chrome was on and initially I thought it was Chrome problem. But then my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David Phonsukha, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Computer started locking up after Windows update

Since Windows update my computer has been locking up. It started when Chrome was on and initially I thought it was Chrome problem. But then my computer locked up when I used Exel. My antivirus is Avast and I use P all-in-one, Windows 10, 64 bit and Office 365.

I tried to reinstall Windows 10 and think that I should roll back to a restore point

:)

David Phonsukha, Feb 11, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Lock screen not working properly on Windows 10 computer.

Hi Oshith,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if there is change in lock screen settings.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• When you say that "It is not flapped over to password when clicking", you tried to check the issue by clicking through external mouse?
    • Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the picture of the lock screen and also try to update Display Adapter driver.

Step 1: I suggest you to follow the steps below to set the lock screen pictures.

1. Right click on Desktop screen.

2. Then click on Personalize.

3. Click on Lock Screen.

4. Try to select the lock screen picture.

Step 2: I recommend you to update the latest driver for display adapter in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Display Adapter.

4. Right click on the driver and click on Update driver software.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with lock screen, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Computer started locking up after Windows update

Computer stuck at lock screen and after Anniversary Update on Windows 10

Hi,

Do let us know if you are able to see any error message/ error code with locking the computer.

Let us try the below steps to unlock and check if it helps.

• I suggest you to restart the computer, try to unlock and check if the issue persists.
    • Use On-screen keyboard to type in your password and check if it helps.
    Click on the Ease of access on the lock screen at the right-bottom corner, turn on
    On-screen keyboard to type the password.

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of unlocking the device for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

Computer started locking up after Windows update

1. Computer started locking up after Windows update - Similar Threads - Computer started locking

2. Windows locking up on start up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows locking up on start up: This ones a bit of a head scratcher. A couple days ago I got a BSOD with a "page error in nonpaged file" type error and on restart, Windows is now locking up a few seconds onto the loading wheel.I have tried reseating bot RAM modules in all slots, reseating my CPU, and...
  3. Windows locking up on start up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows locking up on start up: This ones a bit of a head scratcher. A couple days ago I got a BSOD with a "page error in nonpaged file" type error and on restart, Windows is now locking up a few seconds onto the loading wheel.I have tried reseating bot RAM modules in all slots, reseating my CPU, and...
  4. Windows locking up on start up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer locks up or freezes after bios update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer locks up or freezes after bios update: The bios was out of date on my Gigabyte z490 UD AC, it was working fairly well with the F5 bios version. and after successfully flashing it within bios with the newer F21 bios I am getting very consistent crashing during gaming sessions. Not sure if its a heating thing, or a...
  6. Computer locks up or freezes after bios update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer locks up or freezes after bios update: The bios was out of date on my Gigabyte z490 UD AC, it was working fairly well with the F5 bios version. and after successfully flashing it within bios with the newer F21 bios I am getting very consistent crashing during gaming sessions. Not sure if its a heating thing, or a...
  7. Computer black screen on start-up after not updating it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer black screen on start-up after not updating it: So there was an update that I choose not to because it was late, whenever I do this my laptop has a problem on start up. It will try to to the update, fail I assume… but it will freeze on a black screen before it gets to that process. It usually fixes after 4 restarts,...
  8. Everday computer locks up - started Dec 2018 after Win 10 update

Everday computer locks up - started Dec 2018 after Win 10 update: This seems to be fully documented over internet sites. I have even followed the reinstall instructions from Microsoft with no help. I had a Dec 2018 clone drive of my data. So as I installed it, here come the Win 10 updates and problem was back. I have completely...
  9. Windows won't update, locks computer up

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows won't update, locks computer up: I've been working on my wife's computer that has had Win10 for the last several months. Her computer completely refuses to update Windows anymore. The updates will get stuck downloading at 0% even overnight and it uses up so much of the system resources that the computer...
  10. Computer random lock ups after fall update

Computer random lock ups after fall update: I've checked the event log and it doesn't tell me enough. Here are the errors from the last crash: Log Name: SystemSource: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PowerDate: 11/6/2017 9:45:35 AMEvent ID: 41Task Category: (63)Level: CriticalKeywords: (70368744177664),(2)User:...