Windows 10: Computer starts on its own after shutdown

Discus and support Computer starts on its own after shutdown in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Several times since getting my new tower computer I have come to it in the evening and found it switched on. I thought I must have left it in Sleep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TimothyWF, May 14, 2016.

1. TimothyWF Win User

Computer starts on its own after shutdown

Several times since getting my new tower computer I have come to it in the evening and found it switched on. I thought I must have left it in Sleep mode by mistake but I have been checking it carefully of late and although I switch it OFF at the set switch it does come on sometime afterwards. On holiday for a week I returned home and the set was on when I knowit was switched off. This worries me a bit. Any suggestions as to what might be going on and short of pulling the electric
    plug out,what can I do ?

:)

TimothyWF, May 14, 2016

2. Computer Restarts on it's own after shutdown

Hi Debora,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

This might have occurred due to some third party application conflicts.

Try the methods.

Method 1: Start computer in safe mode and then perform clean boot.

Step 1: Start computer in safe mode

a. When you hit the power button in Windows 8.1 (through Charms Bar), hold down the
    Shift key when clicking the Restart button.

b. The next screen will present you with three options. Click
    Troubleshoot.

c. Next, hit Advanced options followed by Windows Startup Settings from the next screen.

d. Your PC will now be rebooted to enable the advanced parameters, which include Safe Mode as well. Once it restarts, you’ll get nine options whereby the following commands apply:

F4 for Safe Mode

F5 for Safe Mode with Networking

F6 for Safe Mode with Command Prompt

For more information you may refer to the article mentioned below.

Windows Startup Settings (including
    safe mode)

Step 2: Perform clean boot to avoid any third party software conflict.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Method 2:

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan,
    refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Method 3:

I would suggest you to temporarily disable the antivirus security software program installed on your computer and check if that helps.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software
    and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, May 14, 2016
  3. Computer Restarts on it's own after shutdown

I have made several attempts to upgrade my computers to Windows 10. There have been various small issues such as networking etc which I seem to find the resolution to the problem.

Unfortunately one of my computers will start up after shutdown. At first I thought I put it in sleep mode but that is not the case.

I have recovered to 8.1 and reinstalled windows a few times but this is the only computer that this happens to in my house.

Any ideas??????????????

DeboraBreard, May 14, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, May 14, 2016
  5. Rocky Win User
    Of course it could just be a poltergeist.

Rocky, May 14, 2016
  6. jds63 Win User
    That usually moves objects or makes noises, *092Poltergeist - Wikipedia
    Can also be power button issue

jds63, May 14, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer starts on its own after shutdown - Similar Threads - Computer starts own

2. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  3. Computer is restarting on its own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is restarting on its own: My pc has been restarting on its own around 5–10 minutes after starting up. 99% of the time, there will not be a BSOD. The pc will NOT restart if a game is running. The way I keep my PC alive is by having a game running in the background at all times. I have removed all video...
  4. Computer keeps restarting on its own after software shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer keeps restarting on its own after software shutdown: A few days ago I got a new razer naga x and installed the updated synapse app not sure if these are connected but it's the only thing that changed, if it's noteworthy the mouse/keyboard would keep going unresponsive until I un/re-plugged them while the mouse' drivers were...
  5. PC shutdowns on its own Not due to temperatures

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC shutdowns on its own Not due to temperatures: Ive had my pc for around 7 months now and I've had no troubles with it until a week ago when it now just shuts down every 45-1 hour on its own, first i thought it was temps but i checked both gpu and cpu and both were fine in and out of video games. I then tried a new power...
  6. Why my computer starts by its own?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why my computer starts by its own?: Pls can anyone help? submitted by /u/Qwr631 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hx61cp/why_my_computer_starts_by_its_own/
  7. Windows 10 starting on its own from shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 starting on its own from shutdown: Hi All, I am facing a weird issue. My computer starts on its own at a random time from a complete shutdown. I do not put my computer to sleep at all, I always shut down but after the latest update of 2004 version my PC is starting on its own magically at random times. I...
  8. Why did my PC shutdown on its own?.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why did my PC shutdown on its own?.: It's 2:18 AM right now at 12:30 I was playing a game and paused it then switched to the desktop so that I could go eat something, I returned at approximately 1:04 and found my PC OFF. This is a big deal since my PC settings are set to never turn if off unless I do it manually...
  9. Why did my PC shutdown on its own?.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why did my PC shutdown on its own?.: It's 1:32 AM right now at 12:30 I was playing Yakuza 0 and paused it then switched to the desktop so that I could go eat something, I returned at approximately 1:04 and found my PC OFF. The is a big deal since my PC settings are set to never turn if off unless I do it...
  10. Windows 10 starting on its own

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 starting on its own: I recently decided to build my own computer, however to my horror, Windows 10 is still not working and has caused my computer to randomly cut to black screen, not turn on when the power button is pressed and to restart itself only to cut out 5-10 seconds after powering on. No...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer starts on its own