Windows 10: computer stopped reading smart card

Discus and support computer stopped reading smart card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Up to yesterday I have been using a smartcard for over a year. Yesterday I played around with permissions to folders. today the computer no longer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JonathanBroder, Jun 5, 2020.

1. computer stopped reading smart card

Hi

Up to yesterday I have been using a smartcard for over a year. Yesterday I played around with permissions to folders. today the computer no longer reads the smart card. It works in other computers.

Any ideas?

p.s. when booting up the computer the smart card lights up.

:)

JonathanBroder, Jun 5, 2020

2. Computer not reading CAC card

The system services might not be configured properly. To ensure that the system services are correctly configured, kindly follow these steps:

• Click Start, type services.msc in the
      Search programs and files
      box, and then press ENTER.

• Locate the Certificate Propagation service, and then verify that the
      Status of this service is Started and that the
      Startup Type
      is Automatic.

• If the settings are different, double-click Certificate Propagation, click
      Automatic in the Startup type list, click
      Start
      to start the service without restarting the computer, and then click
      OK.

• Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the Smart Card service.

• Lastly, reinsert the smart card in the smart card reader.

Check if that resolves the issue.

If the issue persists, kindly get back to us.

Vanessa Oca, Jun 5, 2020
  3. MB3838 Win User
    Smart Card not reading CAC

Hi,

After a microsoft update a few months ago my smart card reader no longer recognize my CAC. When I would try to log onto military sites, it would say no certificates present. On activclient (middleware), it would say no card reader detected. I am using a
    SCR331 and a Stanley global as card readers. However, I know my CAC and the readers are good because both work with no issues on my laptop and at work. I also know my desktop (which is the issue) use to work fine until I did the update. When I rolled back
    the update, the issue was still present.

I have read and used all the steps and tips I could find on Military CAC to no avail. Under devices, I can see both smart card readers and both have newest drivers. Under services, certificates and smart card readers are running and automatic.

I have seen this very issue posted many times on the help forms and the few actual suggestions I have tired. Helping to find a solution would not only help me but many others with this same issue.

Please help! Thank you.

MB3838, Jun 5, 2020
  4. LydiaGG Win User

computer stopped reading smart card

Connect a smart card

Thank you Yasir; I read the content in the link provided; the problem I have now is not to ask for smart card when log on but to connect a smart card when update applications. Do you have a suggestion for that?

LydiaGG, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

computer stopped reading smart card

1. computer stopped reading smart card - Similar Threads - computer stopped reading

2. Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest: We are using Windows 10 as a Hyper-V guest, and have Windows 10 as a Hyper-V Guest. There is a standard Smart Card reader attached to the physical hostomnikey card reader , but we can not get the smart card to be read from the Hyper-V Guest.Does anybody have any experience or...
  3. Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest: We are using Windows 10 as a Hyper-V guest, and have Windows 10 as a Hyper-V Guest. There is a standard Smart Card reader attached to the physical hostomnikey card reader , but we can not get the smart card to be read from the Hyper-V Guest.Does anybody have any experience or...
  4. Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  6. smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  7. smart card

8. Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ..."

Smart card issue - "The smart card cannot perform ...": Hello, I have the same issue like addodin in this case: addodin case. I installed all drivers and I can read certificates trough vendor software, but when I want to sign in with my smart card at web browser I faced the problem with: The smart card cannot perform ..Im using...
  9. Smart Card not reading CAC

Smart Card not reading CAC: Hi, After a microsoft update a few months ago my smart card reader no longer recognize my CAC. When I would try to log onto military sites, it would say no certificates present. On activclient middleware, it would say no card reader detected. I am using a SCR331 and a...
  10. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...