Windows 10: Computer stutters and crashes.

Discus and support Computer stutters and crashes. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Sort of a complex situation going on here. About a month ago, GPU failed or at least I think it did (card was a GTX 770). Crashed the computer with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by abeltensor, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Computer stutters and crashes.

Sort of a complex situation going on here.

About a month ago, GPU failed or at least I think it did (card was a GTX 770). Crashed the computer with artifacting and all kinds of crazy visual gitching. Restarting with that same card resulted in the computer BSODing after 10-15 minutes of stuttering from very light use (computer was more or less unusable). Going into safe mode was the only way that I could run the machine with that card still inside of it. Tried everything from using ddu to remove the GPU drivers/installing older/newer ones, running linux/benchmarks/virus scans to pulling apart the computer and checking for physical damage (even reinstalling windows a couple times). In the end, I determined that either my PSU was failing and it wasn't giving enough power to the GPU during high loads or the GPU was fried (or some combination of both). I took the card out and replaced it with an old gtx 560ti that I had lying around and the machine seemed to be relatively stable. The computer felt slower then it should be but at least there were no more BSOD errors.

I do a lot of video editing, GPU intensive computations and gaming so naturally I determined that I absolutely needed to get a new GPU. I got the GPU just yesterday (Radeon Rx 590). I put the card in and everything seemed about the same. About 12 hours into working on the machine I started noticing small stutters during normal operation (web browsing, word processing etc), programs would randomly hang before resuming operation. Running games seemed to work fine; was able to play GPU intensive games without issue (no unexpected FPS drops) until about an hour ago when one game froze. It threw up a BSOD and from what I could gather before it restarted, it seemed like a GPU driver malfunction. I can't know for sure what the BSOD error codes were for this crash because for some reason the computer didn't make a dump file.

Basically at this point, I am pretty confident that I have a hardware problem but I need to determine what piece of hardware is malfunctioning. I am suspecting the PSU but diagnosing a PSU failure is pretty complex and not easily done via software means (don't have a multimeter either). It is of course possible that the problem could be something like the memory or the motherboard but again, I am having trouble finding out exactly whats going on. Putting a higher power GPU into the machine seems to initiate the problems (or at least make them bad enough to cause a failure). I guess its possible that this is just a driver issue from putting the AMD card in my machine but that feels like too much of a coincidence at this point.

I need to figure this out fairly quickly so I can decide whether or not I should return this GPU. If it is the PSU or the Mobo, then its possible that the older gtx 770 is still in workable condition. I do have plans to replace the computer some time soon but I currently am short on cash and simply can't swing it just yet, I also happen to be a software developer so I would rather not lose my only machine.

Does any one have any constructive feedback or suggestions?

AMD Fx8350

M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Radeon Rx 590

32 GB DDR3

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

:)

abeltensor, Oct 29, 2019
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 29, 2019
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Oct 29, 2019
  4. Computer stutters and crashes.

Changing volume crashes videos and makes programs stutter

What causes crashing? Changning or muting the sound on my laptop

What crashes? Internet videos, like youtube and facebook, and internet audio like Spotify online

What stutters? Spotify (Windows program), iTunes online and offline, local sound files offline

My computer:

• Sony VAIO Duo Model SVD132190X
    • Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, Build 16299.248
    • Audio Driver: Realtek High Definition Audio, version 6.0.1.7106 (downloaded from computer manufacturer)
    • No unusual installations recently, just email and internet browsing
    • Troubleshooting tried: reinstalled audio driver and restarted computer

TheRealDavid, Oct 29, 2019
Thema:

Computer stutters and crashes.

1. Computer stutters and crashes. - Similar Threads - Computer stutters crashes

2. PC Stuttering and crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Stuttering and crashing: Hello, There is a problem happening with my PC recently. It is a really frustrating problem and I just got it so its really annoying. The problem is that every time I open my pc it randomly freezes and then goes black screen. Nothing happens after that and I have to force...
  3. PC Stuttering and crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Stuttering and crashing: Hello, There is a problem happening with my PC recently. It is a really frustrating problem and I just got it so its really annoying. The problem is that every time I open my pc it randomly freezes and then goes black screen. Nothing happens after that and I have to force...
  4. PC Stuttering and crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Computer freezes and sound stutters then crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes and sound stutters then crashes: Hey, for a while I have had problems with my computer and nothing seems to fix it, whenever I turn on my computer for the day and use it for a few minutes almost every time it just freezes and crashes, I changed my os from an HDD to SSD a while ago and that fixed it for a bit...
  6. Computer freezes and sound stutters then crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes and sound stutters then crashes: Hey, for a while I have had problems with my computer and nothing seems to fix it, whenever I turn on my computer for the day and use it for a few minutes almost every time it just freezes and crashes, I changed my os from an HDD to SSD a while ago and that fixed it for a bit...
  7. Computer freezes and sound stutters then crashes

8. Audio looping & stuttering, computer freezes, and then crashes

Audio looping & stuttering, computer freezes, and then crashes: So I have a Lenovo Legion desktop I bought this January that I use for gaming on a daily basis and has worked fine, apart from the rare crash, until a week or two ago. Now these crashes are different and more often than the ones I've had before, my audio loops and stutters,...
  9. Computer Crashes and Mouse causes game stutter

Computer Crashes and Mouse causes game stutter: So i purchased my omen laptop about 6 months ago and had maybe a blue screen here and there and thought nothing of it. Then it happened 3 times in one day so i did a fresh install of windows and it worked for 2 days and then started back up again. I reinstalled my graphics...
  10. Computer Stuttering

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Stuttering: For the last day or so, my computer has been stuttering constantly. Even just moving the mouse around the screen, it's clearly visible. Videos, programs, games, everything stutters slightly. I have no clue what's causing it. Task manager is showing everything to be fine....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stutters and bsod gaming