Windows 10: Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time

Discus and support Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I'm creating this post because after quite some time I still haven't found a solution to my problem - perhaps someone here had the same issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by QuentinVance, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time

Hello, I'm creating this post because after quite some time I still haven't found a solution to my problem - perhaps someone here had the same issue and can somehow help me fix it.

So, for about two months my computer started slowing down at random times. Specifically, it happens to stutter/freeze from time to time, usually for a second of two, while I'm performing the most basic tasks. For example, I might decide to scroll down a page in Word, only for the mouse wheel to go on without the page actually moving. Then, after a second or two, I find myself looking at the bottom of the document. Or I might point the X button in a File Explorer window, only to see it does not turn red when I do so. If I click while it's stuck, the window will close when everything gets unstuck. Same when opening a new tab in Edge, editing a file name on my drive, or clicking on a new video on YouTube. The mouse moves, the screen doesn't follow for a while. I also noticed this tends to happen when playing, but only rarely. Most of the time I can play just fine, but the problems resume as soon as I'm back to my desktop, only to stop again if I resume playing, even in a matter of minutes.

With the use of Task Manager I observed a spike in CPU and Memory usage on a few occasions, usually it's stuff like Chrome or Steam taking up 200+ MBs plus, Edge, Chrome and Steam also often appear to have multiple processes running at once, which is strange - however, I can't be sure this is what causes the issue since they also happen when Task Manager does not notice any increased usage of CPU or Memory.

I thought it might have been a virus I usually use Windows Defender, I don't rely on external antiviruses so I tried an antivirus, which found nothing. Then I thought it could be the result of a failed Windows update, but I tried both updating my computer and perfoming the in-place installation, both to no avail. I tried a scan with CCleaner, but even that found nothing. I also thought it might be a problem of fauly RAM blocks, I use two so I tried removing one first, then the other, both times I kept seeing the same problem so either it's not that or both are broken. I also tried cleaning dust inside the computer case, just to be sure, but of course that did nothing.

My setup is the following:

• Processor: AMD FX8320 3.50GHz- it's an 8Core processor but for some reason AMD's tool states it's 4 Core. I just noticed this, I'm not sure if something's wrong or if it's just a bug in AMD's software.
    • GPU: AMD R9 280X - I bought this used from a friend but it always worked flawlessly
    • 2x 8GB DDR3 RAM blocks
    • Motherboard: M5A97 R2.0 - I think it's a bit old, but it shouldn't be a problem

I'm also using three drives: two SSDs one of 120GBs with the OS, and a 500GBs for programs and a 1TB HDD.

I'm using somewhat older components, but they never gave me a problem before, this came a bit out of the blue. My biggest issue here is that I can't figure out if it's a hardware or software related issue, so I have no idea what to do. I might consider updating my components, but doing so blindly could be even worse.

I might also add that the problem appeared while I was writing this post, but it has since stopped.

I'd be very glad if anyone could help - even if it's just to figure out what is causing the issue.

:)

QuentinVance, Sep 1, 2020
  2. acefire Win User

Visual Studio 2015 Stuttering

Visual Studio 2015 stutters on my computer in the sense that everything freezes up for like 2-3 secs before returning to normal. (Even the blinking typing thing freezes in a solid line)

The only other software which I encounter this is ezvid video editor.

I'm guessing it's something on the software/system side, given how my hardware is relatively lag-proof. My games also don't suffer from this stuttering issue, so it can't be the generic 'game stuttering' fix going around the net.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

acefire, Sep 1, 2020
  3. Lenni vH Win User
    Keyboard freezing from time to time

I am currently running Windows 10 v 1909 but with an Update that was installed two or three weeks ago my keyboard began to freeze. At first, it was very subtle, but now it freezes every two or three seconds and the characters I typed appear all at once after
    waiting for some time (four more seconds).

The very same issue is described in

Random keyboard freezing, stuttering typing and typing delays - Windows 10 Support

Mouse and keyboard freeze - Windows 7 Help Forums

I tried to attach a second keyboard to see if it is the problem, but the other one freezes too. I wasn't yet able to find out whether they freeze simultaneously or not.

My pc is rather old, but I bought a new SSD half a year ago (Crucial) and added some used 2 gb of RAM (maybe they're broken).

In these posts I was told to perform

• an sfc scan, which found some bad files but apparently everything is repaired now
    • a memory check (don't remember how), which didn't report anything bad
    • a checkdisk on my Windows disk, of which I didn't got any report at all (?)
    However the problem isn't really fixed by any of these steps. Can anyone help me on fixing this?

Lenni vH, Sep 1, 2020
  4. x509 Win User

Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time

Win 10 CU (not FCU) stutters and freezes a lot with various operations

I get momentary freezes and stuttering with a range of Windows menu operations. *sarc These are the ones that are top of mind but I'm sure there are others. Win 10 Pro 64, up to date on patches.

• Xing out a FireFox tab
    • Click on FILE menu (drop down is delayed)
    • FILE > Print (printer list or print menu is delayed)
    • Selecting a higher level on the file path in the SAVE menu
    • Search menu at bottom of Windows
    • Typing in many situations.

Any suggestions? Or this this a known problem in Win 10? I've had this problem for some time, but lately it has gotten me really PO'ed.*Confused

x509, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time

1. Computer suffering from stuttering/freezes from time to time - Similar Threads - Computer suffering stuttering

2. How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.: Hello, I am on a Windows 11 with a Legion Computer and NVIDIA LG Monitor. My issue has been going on for a year and I've ignored it for a while because I didn't know how to fix it. Every time I start my computer, it freezes after a couple of seconds or minutes, and then, I...
  3. How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix computer from freezing every time time I turn it on.: Hello, I am on a Windows 11 with a Legion Computer and NVIDIA LG Monitor. My issue has been going on for a year and I've ignored it for a while because I didn't know how to fix it. Every time I start my computer, it freezes after a couple of seconds or minutes, and then, I...
  4. The computer has bule screen from time to time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer has bule screen from time to time: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1gjC_BCh7LBl3vuIM3dk2CQ?pwd=a1et a1et https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-computer-has-bule-screen-from-time-to-time/abea5dd4-a66a-4107-9767-82a2227ec138
  5. The computer has bule screen from time to time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The computer has bule screen from time to time: https://pan.baidu.com/s/1gjC_BCh7LBl3vuIM3dk2CQ?pwd=a1et a1et https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-computer-has-bule-screen-from-time-to-time/abea5dd4-a66a-4107-9767-82a2227ec138
  6. The computer has bule screen from time to time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Video games freezing randomly from time to time

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Video games freezing randomly from time to time: Hello. I am having a problem that appears randomly when I play video game, it freezes sometimes and I have to close the game with task manager and open it up again. It's really annoying when I try to play online games so I would like to solve this problem. Days ago I also...
  8. BSOD from time to time

BSOD from time to time: I experienced a lot of BSOD recently, at about once a week, with my win10 gaming laptop. The cause of BSOD varys every time, but the full memory dumps are all broken showed by some analysing tools. So I changes the dump option to minidump and got this dump file. While this...
  9. Computer audio delayed and crackling from time to time?

Computer audio delayed and crackling from time to time?: Relevant specs: operating system: Windows 10 Pro Sound card: Creative soundblaster Z Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 OHM Problem: When I watch a film or video the audio has a delay. To this the headphones crackle again and again. Headphones should still be...
  10. Keyboard freezing from time to time

Keyboard freezing from time to time: I am currently running Windows 10 v 1909 but with an Update that was installed two or three weeks ago my keyboard began to freeze. At first, it was very subtle, but now it freezes every two or three seconds and the characters I typed appear all at once after waiting for some...