Windows 10: Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine

Discus and support Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Problem has been persisting for a while now. If I open apps or files, such as word documents, they take forever to open from a minute to even 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kaysuh, May 27, 2020.

1. Kaysuh Win User

Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine

Problem has been persisting for a while now. If I open apps or files, such as word documents, they take forever to open from a minute to even 10 minutes. And I don't mean the file starts to open but takes a while to open completely, there's just no response.

If the computer was just taking its time in everything and having obvious difficulties processing things like the fans going full throttle, frames dropping and the other usual signs, I can just pin it down to the CPU succumbing to age and move on with my life, but the real kicker is the computer shows no sign of actual struggle. No frame drops, no crashing, no slowing down in other apps, nothing. I can have five gazillion tabs open in Chrome and I'd be fine doing anything in the files ALREADY open.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Kaysuh, May 27, 2020
  2. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine :)

jaydeee, May 27, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, May 27, 2020
  4. Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine

Gpu-Z and Gtx570

first image I see that the ram speed is listed as 950, which is right, ( X4 for actual running speed) the right image has it listed as 1900 (X2 for actual speed). No big deal there.

The second image, I see GPUz wasnt open that long. Try leaving it open just a bit longer at idle and see if the clocks dont drop all the way there too, looks like they are hitting the middle step fine.

sneekypeet, May 27, 2020
Thema:

Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine

1. Computer takes ages to open apps and files but actual processing speed is fine - Similar Threads - Computer takes ages

2. Start menu takes ages to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu takes ages to open: hi,i have issue with my taskbar when i click start button it takes a loooong time to open search bar too and when i start my pc after boot the task bar doesn't load icons it also takes a long time to show icons it takes around 2-3 mins to load but all desktop icons load right...
  3. Start menu takes ages to open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu takes ages to open: hi,i have issue with my taskbar when i click start button it takes a loooong time to open search bar too and when i start my pc after boot the task bar doesn't load icons it also takes a long time to show icons it takes around 2-3 mins to load but all desktop icons load right...
  4. Start menu takes ages to open

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 11 takes ages to start new processes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 takes ages to start new processes: I've posted a similar question but this one contains a better defined problem.I've a desktop on which I have Win 11 pro 22H2 and my sister has a laptop on which Win 10 was upgraded to the 21H2 version. At some point range: 8-12 hours of use Windows slows down a lot, you can't...
  6. Windows 11 takes ages to start new processes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 takes ages to start new processes: I've posted a similar question but this one contains a better defined problem.I've a desktop on which I have Win 11 pro 22H2 and my sister has a laptop on which Win 10 was upgraded to the 21H2 version. At some point range: 8-12 hours of use Windows slows down a lot, you can't...
  7. Factory resetting my computer taking ages

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Factory resetting my computer taking ages: I've been getting some problems with my windows 10 dell laptop being slow and with programs often not responding. It's often at 100% on everything in task manager with system and windows antivirus executable using the most. Therefore I eventually decided to do a factory...
  8. Explorer taking ages to open a folder (fine in safe mode though)

Explorer taking ages to open a folder (fine in safe mode though): Hey all So as the title suggests, I've just started having this issue today. When I try and open a folder in file explorer, it takes 10-30 seconds to open the folder. Things I've done: Virus scan (Malwarebytes) Uninstalled Malwarebytes Deleted Quick access cache Rebooted...
  9. Computer start up is taking ages

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer start up is taking ages: Hi, My laptop is starting up really slowly, do you know how to fix this? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-start-up-is-taking-ages/77a7ca30-4db8-4274-b625-2fbe1022ce6b
  10. .exe files take AGES to open

.exe files take AGES to open: Basically my explorer freezes when i try to install something. Is my hard drive infected with something? Or is it faulty. Any help is appreciated. Thanks submitted by /u/phlip_lip [link] [comments]...