Windows 10: Computer taking several hours to POST.

Discus and support Computer taking several hours to POST. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have been having this issue for a while now. It all started once I began turning my PC off at night instead of leaving it on. I did it for a while,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Kenzie Kremer, Jun 26, 2022.

1. Computer taking several hours to POST.

I have been having this issue for a while now. It all started once I began turning my PC off at night instead of leaving it on. I did it for a while, and something happened that led to my PC taking a bit longer than usual to post. At the time, I believe I was on windows 11 and was trying to turn on Safe boot from my bios, but since Ive cleared my CMOS and bios settings back to default. It however didn't fix the post times, and eventually it went from 5 minutes, to 20 minutes. Now its upwards of 4+ hours, and it means that if I have to restart my PC at any point in the day I normally can't use

:)

Kenzie Kremer, Jun 26, 2022

2. Windows 10 startup takes several hours on two different computers

Hi Cerebral,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

This issue usually occur due to the driver is out dated. Let’s try the simple steps and let us know the status. I would suggest you to update the Display driver from Device Manager manually and check if this helps. Follow the below steps:

Step 1.

• Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

• Expand “Display Adaptor”.

• Right click on the driver device and select
      update. Once update is done, restart the computer.
    Step 2.

Also I recommend you to update Keyboard driver. Try the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

• Press Windows Key + X and click on
      Device Manager

• Locate for the Keyboard and expand it.

• Right click on the keyboard and click on
      updates.
    Hope this helps. Post us with status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Jun 26, 2022
  3. Johan45 Win User
    AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jun 26, 2022
  4. Computer taking several hours to POST.

Computer running on Windows 10 takes 3 - 4 hours to startup.

Hello Kerry,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

From the above issue, I understand your machine is taking few hours to startup and let you enter the login password on switching the PC on.

Before assisting further, did you check if the power settings are set correctly?

Along with SteveG47’s suggestion, try the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

You may be facing the above issue due to the Power options set on the PC. Follow the steps below to change the
    Power options and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Power Options and select the top most search result.
    • Select Choose what the power button options from the left side panel of the window.
    • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable from the window. Enter the administrator password if prompted.
    • Check the Turn on Fast startup (Recommended) option under
      Shutdown settings.
    • Click on Save changes, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 26, 2022
Thema:

Computer taking several hours to POST.

1. Computer taking several hours to POST. - Similar Threads - Computer taking several

2. Computer takes over 16 hours to reset.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer takes over 16 hours to reset.: Hello. I'm asking for help on behalf of my boyfriend whos desktop computer has been resetting overnight and for over 16 hours now. It's a gaming PC although I don't know the specific hardware or components it's made up of, but it's pretty strong. His PC is about 1 year or 1,5...
  3. Computer takes over 16 hours to reset.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer takes over 16 hours to reset.: Hello. I'm asking for help on behalf of my boyfriend whos desktop computer has been resetting overnight and for over 16 hours now. It's a gaming PC although I don't know the specific hardware or components it's made up of, but it's pretty strong. His PC is about 1 year or 1,5...
  4. Computer taking several hours to POST.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer taking several hours to POST.: I have been having this issue for a while now. It all started once I began turning my PC off at night instead of leaving it on. I did it for a while, and something happened that led to my PC taking a bit longer than usual to post. At the time, I believe I was on windows 11...
  5. Computer taking several hours to POST.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer taking several hours to POST.: I have been having this issue for a while now. It all started once I began turning my PC off at night instead of leaving it on. I did it for a while, and something happened that led to my PC taking a bit longer than usual to post. At the time, I believe I was on windows 11...
  6. I see a lot of posts on Reddit about their computers taking hours to update. Yet my...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I see a lot of posts on Reddit about their computers taking hours to update. Yet my...: submitted by /u/SpatialPigeon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxqcjk/i_see_a_lot_of_posts_on_reddit_about_their/
  7. This might take several minutes

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    This might take several minutes: I booted my hp laptop and it came up with a blank screen. Thought maybe there was an issue with my machine because I use an external docking station/monitor. It rebooted I got login screen. After login in, I am getting “hi” followed by “we’ve got some updates for your...
  8. Surface Pro Takes Several Hours to Reboot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro Takes Several Hours to Reboot: Having an issue with a couple of the latest surface pro systems we recently purchased. These systems are Azure AD joined, once I change the workgroup name to reflect our company workgroup for non AD joined systems it takes the surfaces several hours to reboot. The surface...
  9. Antimalware Service Executable taking up high CPU for several hours!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antimalware Service Executable taking up high CPU for several hours!: A service called Antimalware Executable takes up about 30 % of my CPU. It doesn't normally do this, and I tried following the tutorials on how to disable in the task schedule and registry (I use Win10 Home and thus cannot use Group Policy). I also tried including an...
  10. After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen

in Windows 10 Support
    After idle for several hours, computer seems frozen: Hello,everyone, I recently upgraded my Windows 7 Professional system (custom built) to Windows 10 Professional. The upgrade went beautifully - almost too easy. Things were going great until yesterday (11/18/17). When I went to my home office to work, the screen was black as...