Windows 10: Computer thinks shift key is pressed?

Discus and support Computer thinks shift key is pressed? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Recently, while using my computer, it acts as though the shift key is pressed down. (Making my computer near impossible to use) The only way to get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KingHuna, Mar 22, 2019.

1. KingHuna Win User

Computer thinks shift key is pressed?

Recently, while using my computer, it acts as though the shift key is pressed down. (Making my computer near impossible to use)

The only way to get it to stop is to reset my computer, but it normally comes back within a few minutes/hours. All sites i have looked at have said to turn off sticky keys, but I turned off sticky keys the day i got my computer. (I double checked recently, and even turned sticky keys on and off a couple of times, but the problem remains)

I don't believe it's a keyboard issue, as it doesn't appear there is a problem with the keyboard, but i do not have another keyboard to test to see whether or not it is a keyboard issue, nor do i currently have enough money to buy a new keyboard just to test.

I've even tried updating my keyboard driver, but still nothing.

It's starting to bug me a lot, considering i do most, if not all of my work from my home computer. Any help?

:)

KingHuna, Mar 22, 2019
  2. LTUGamer Win User

Both shift keys

Hello.
    I have problem with Lenovo Idea Pad 100 laptop (OS: WIN10). After replacing HDD into SSD I faced a strange problem. Both Shifts of the keyboard doesn‘t work .
    I have tried to:
    • Check if sticky keys are off. They are off.
    • Connect external keyboard via USB port. Shift keys on external keyboard works good.
    • Check the keyboard on online tester which indicates pressed buttons. It can‘t indicate press of the shift
    • Change several different input languages. The problem is on all of them.
    • Reinstall keyboard driver
    • Check if connection is OK. It is OK.
    • Tried to run computer without screws (I have read in one forum that screws could touch the keyboard from the bottom and it wouldn‘t operate normal)
    I believe that keyboard is not damaged because connector damage could cause just exact part of keyboard failure, while it is impossible to do physical damage for both shifts. Any solutions?

LTUGamer, Mar 22, 2019
  3. Shift Key and Number key cannot be pressed at the same time.

Hello,

There are several factors why you are unable to use the shortcut keys function such as keyboard settings, or if there is an issue with the keyboard itself. To help you resolve this, kindly try the following suggestions:

• You might have selected an input language other than English. To work around with this, go to
      Control Panel > Region and Language and check. You can also check if your keyboard has a language selection available that may need to be changed.
    • We suggest as well that you reset the keyboard layout by reinstalling the language and check if it fixes the issue. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows+R keys and type intl.cpl. Hit Enter.
    • Go to Administrative tab and click on
      Change system locale
      button.
    • Select the correct language and country from the drop-down box.
    • Navigate to the location tab and check if region settings are appropriate.
    • Apply the changes and Windows will require a reboot.

Inform us for any updates regarding the issue so we can assist you further.

Regene Jos, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Computer thinks shift key is pressed?

Shift/ctrl key problem.

Hi Jovan,

The issue you're experiencing is probably due to incorrect settings. A Windows Ease of Access feature called
    Filter keys is an accessibility function that tells the keyboard to ignore repeated strokes. When this function is enabled, it ignores whatever key is pressed down or repeatedly pressed. To verify this, follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on Ease of Access.
    • Under Ease of Access Center, click on Change how your keyboard works.
    • Under Make it easier to type, click on Set up Filter keys.
    • The Turn on Filter Keys should not be checked, as well as
      Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds

We also suggest that you play around with the features and check which one works best for you. If the issue persists, let us know.

Patricia Yu, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Computer thinks shift key is pressed?

1. Computer thinks shift key is pressed? - Similar Threads - Computer thinks shift

2. shift key is not staying activated when pressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shift key is not staying activated when pressed: Hi, I have a little problem with my shift key. It works mostly, however when i am pressing the key for a longer time more than half a second to write multiple letters the function stops working after a very short time.Example:HHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhWhile writing this i kept my...
  3. shift key is not staying activated when pressed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shift key is not staying activated when pressed: Hi, I have a little problem with my shift key. It works mostly, however when i am pressing the key for a longer time more than half a second to write multiple letters the function stops working after a very short time.Example:HHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhWhile writing this i kept my...
  4. Shift key are rapidly being pressed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shift key are rapidly being pressed: I woke up and went to work on my PC and then the shift keys were rapidly being pressed and it is a persistent issue that I haven't figured out yet and need help with. Also I have turned off sticky keys and attempted to hold down the shift keys for five seconds and fully...
  5. Shift key are rapidly being pressed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shift key are rapidly being pressed: I woke up and went to work on my PC and then the shift keys were rapidly being pressed and it is a persistent issue that I haven't figured out yet and need help with. Also I have turned off sticky keys and attempted to hold down the shift keys for five seconds and fully...
  6. My shift keys keep pressing by themselves

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My shift keys keep pressing by themselves: Hello, about 2 days ago my keyboard started doing that, sometimes the key press rapidly or it stay pressed. I verified my drivers and did a troubleshooting but nothing worked. On the video "Maj" is the shift key https://streamable.com/gdkrlv submitted by /u/Sircel [link]...
  7. Computer thinks Alt key is pressed repeatedly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer thinks Alt key is pressed repeatedly: I have googled this issue quite a lot, its inconsistent when it happens but when it Does happen its an absolute pain in the butt. -On screen keyboard shows ALT is held down,(or pressed fast) clicking alt flashes it off and it turns back on. -Unplugging keyboard does nothing,...
  8. Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar acts as if Shift key is pressed when it's not?: Hello. The taskbar is acting as if the Shift key is pressed (it's not) because when I right-click windows in it, the wrong pop up appears. The one that appears is the one that would show up if you press Shift + Right Click. "Sticky Keys" is not on. The same doesn't happen...
  9. Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer thinks that the last key pressed is being held down: Hi there, I'm having an issue where every now and then when I press a key, if it is not interrupted with another key press the last key will continue on a though pressed. For instance, ending this sentence with a period and having this occur would look like...
  10. COmPUTER thinks my "shift" Key IS HelD DOWN AT random.

in Windows 10 Customization
    COmPUTER thinks my "shift" Key IS HelD DOWN AT random.: SO THE MOST RECeNT UPDATE HAS MADe A PROBLem where mY shIft kEY I cannot TELL wHich ONe LEFT OR Right BUT IT is causIng me TO tyPe TexT lIKe tHIs. i am not EVen toUChING THe shift KEY WHiLe WRIting this. IT SEEMS TO OCcUR randomlY makinG it HARd to Type passWArds Having me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shift key pressed all the time windows 10

2. computer thinks shift key is pressed

3. shift key pressed all the time

4. computer acting as if shift key pressewdd windows !),
  5. windows 10 thinks a key is shift,
  6. shift key pressed windows 10,
  7. windows 10 thinks the ctrl key is being pressed,
  8. computer thinks windows key is pressed,
  9. windows thinks shift key ispressed win!),
  10. windows 10 normal key behave like alt is pressed,
  11. computer acting as if shift is pressed,