Windows 10: Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

Discus and support Computer turning off instead of going to sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MrPayson-[xboxvenue], Mar 5, 2023.

1. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted lines:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------So for the past week or so, whenever I put my computer to sleep manually or when it goes to sleep for being idle based on my power settings, it just turns off completely instead of going to sleep.I've tried Googling this and most sites offer "solutions" to try, such as th

:)

MrPayson-[xboxvenue], Mar 5, 2023
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

iTunes stops playing when the computer go to sleep

Hi Ross,

Sleep mode is designed to stop all actions on a computer as it puts the device to a low-power state. Since you want to continue using a program even while your computer is locked, we suggest turning off Sleep mode by following these steps:

• Click Start.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click System.
    • Choose Power & Sleep from the left pane.
    • Under Sleep, choose Never.

Computer turning off instead of going to sleep a56ef514-cf53-4631-8917-a239182dc84a.png

Let us know if you have any other concerns about your computer.

Yolvi Ell, Mar 5, 2023
  3. jazzbazz7 Win User
    Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

I have an ASUS Q550LF laptop running Windows 10, 64 bit. Instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. This happens whether I close the lid, let it idle for a while, or select sleep from the shutdown menu options. I've looked up the issue, and it seems to be
    fairly common, but none of the solutions I've found have worked.

Things I've tried:

• Changing the values in Power Options
    • Updating my IMEI driver
    • Disabling my IMEI driver
    • Checking the BIOS to make sure Power Saving mode is enabled

Solutions I've seen that I can't do:

• Roll back the IMEI driver to a previous version - I don't have a previous version of the driver to roll back to, and I can't seem to find one online, so I can't do that
    • Uncheck the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' option in the Power Management tab of IMEI Properties - This tab doesn't exist for me

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

jazzbazz7, Mar 5, 2023
  4. Louie_101 Win User

Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

Computer Shuts Down Instead of Going to Sleep

Hi there! I am Louie, a Microsoft Community member and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. Hope you're doing well and safe there.

I suggest you to try the steps provided on this link to fix the issue with your laptop:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-turns-off-...

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products often classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Hope this helps

Sincerely,

Louie

Louie_101, Mar 5, 2023
Thema:

Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

1. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep - Similar Threads - Computer turning off

2. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  3. My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies: My laptop turns off instead of going to sleep when the battery dies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-off-instead-of-going-to-sleep-when/440f5619-851c-48e2-8c2c-f2bfe5bfed9d
  4. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  5. Computer turning off instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer turning off instead of going to sleep: Hi, so I've been having an issue for a few weeks now where when my computer should be going to sleep both manually and by going idle, it instead just shuts down. Here is a post I had made on Reddit describing the issue between the dotted...
  6. Computer turns off when going into sleep mode

Computer turns off when going into sleep mode: I just recently started to have an issue of my computer turning off when going into sleep mode. When I turn it back on it takes over 3 minutes to come back to life. I have a copy of the event log but not sure how to post the file. Any help would be appreciated....
  7. Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse: Hello. Ever since one of the more recent windows updates my laptop (Lenovo) does not go to sleep when I close the lid or leave for a few minutes. It is set to 'sleep' in Settings (30 mins on battery and 60 minutes when plugged in) but if I leave for just a few minutes it...
  8. Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...

Computer shuts down instead of going on sleep, and when it turns off by itself it's...: Does anyone know how to solve a problem I keep having on my laptop - every time I press sleep, it shuts down (meaning I lose everything I had open) and every time I leave it on for more than 10 minutes without use, it shuts down also - since I can't press the sleep button as...
  9. Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping

Computer Shutting Off Instead of Sleeping: Since October (the October update, I think), my computer is shutting down instead of sleeping. Trouble shooter or other solutions I have found here not working. (Reason #465 I wish I could have control over these awful updates.) Suggestions? Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version...
  10. tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen

in Windows 10 Support
    tablet going to sleep instead of turning off screen: I use a Lenovo Miix tablet as a "kiosk". The tablet hangs on a wall, and never goes to sleep - but it turns off the screen after 1 minute inactivity. Touching the screen should light it up immediately. All this worked wonderfully with Windows 8.1. After the move to Win10,...