Windows 10: Computer underperforming, can't open windows settings & other problems

Discus and support Computer underperforming, can't open windows settings & other problems in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I have had this PC since 2013 and bought the graphics card last year in November and a 2TB storage HDD this year. The reason i bought the graphics... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gurkis, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Gurkis Win User

Computer underperforming, can't open windows settings & other problems

So I have had this PC since 2013 and bought the graphics card last year in November and a 2TB storage HDD this year. The reason i bought the graphics card was i couldn't play newer games at even the lowest settings and when i first bought it the guys that mounted it said i will have to reset my pc and i said ok. It was running very well with games like Fortnite at max graphics running without lag and i could record and stream easily. I have reset my computer fully and partialy many times over the years and 2 times this year. In July i had to start to put settings lower on Fortnite and i thought it may be because of the updates it has all the time and maybe that is the case, but other games i also couldnt play that well anymore.
    In September i started to fill up my C drive and i dont remember now why, but i did a reset. Then later i bought the hard drive and that didnt help much. I did another reset. There was no sound. I tried everything, but at the end i had to do a partial reset (reset windows settings without affecting personal files). After that i had sound, but the NVIDIA Control Panel is missing, i had random freezes in my game and BSOD's. My friend told me to try and swap the ram sticks and the freezing and BSOD's seem to have vanished, but i still dont have the NVIDIA Control Panel (not like i thought that would get it back). I have tried uninstalling drivers, restarting pc so it installs them back, reinstalling manually, reinstalling Geforce Experience and more... I remember sometimes seeing that C drive is corrupted or something like that and maybe thats why its not working, but i dont really think that resetting my pc again would fix that. Maybe i have to take out the corrupted drive and reinstall windows with using a part of the 2tb drive for a seperate virtual drive for only windows?
    I don't really know much about how computer specs rank, but i think my specs are pretty good: (from program Speccy)

Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU
    AMD Athlon X4 845 9 °C
    Carrizo 28nm Technology

RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
    Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-S1 (P0) 36 °C

Graphics
    LG TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
    22M35 (1920x1080@60Hz)
    2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (MSI) 36 °C

Storage
    1863GB Seagate ST2000DM008-2FR102 (SATA (SSD)) 41 °C
    465GB Seagate ST500DM005 HD502HJ (SATA ) 40 °C

Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

The bad thing is that i really dont know what is causing the issues to fix them.
    SUMMARY: My PC is 5 years old, little upgraded and i think it is underperforming. Half a year have had issues, reset it many times. Right now the only problem is i dont have the NVIDIA Control Panel and its almost like my pc doesn't recognize the graphics card fully or smthn.

Side-note: on my second monitor i had task manager open and when playing Far Cry 5 the CPU had 90% usage and all the others had 0-10%

:)

Gurkis, Nov 21, 2018

2. settings wont open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Please answer the below question to understand the situation better,

• Are you facing this issue on a local account or the Microsoft Account?
    Please follow the below steps and check if it works,

• Press “Windows key + I” to open the Settings screen.
    I suggest you to sign out from the current user account, restart the computer and then sign in to the Administrator account to check if this helps

Reply us if you have further queries. We will be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Nov 21, 2018
  3. Sound card amplification settings

Yeah unfortunately ASUS and Realtek are not stepping up and fixing this it seems. Wherever I see such problems mentioned on forums some users are suggesting just uninstalling the Realtek driver and using the Windows audio driver.

Frag Maniac, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer underperforming, can't open windows settings & other problems - Similar Threads - Computer underperforming can't

2. Can't opening setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't opening setting: I can't open setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-opening-setting/3aeec35a-db46-447a-bcee-7ef0ca6489bf
  3. GPU Underperforming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU Underperforming: Hey, I recently got a new GPU, It's the Nvidia Geforce GTX750Ti. I was so happy but... the gpu started underperforming.I saw a benchmark online that gets 40~ FPS at high settings in FH4. But I get 20~ FPS at The Lowest settings in FH4.Same with BeamNG, Saw a benchmark online...
  4. GPU Underperforming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU Underperforming: Hey, I recently got a new GPU, It's the Nvidia Geforce GTX750Ti. I was so happy but... the gpu started underperforming.I saw a benchmark online that gets 40~ FPS at high settings in FH4. But I get 20~ FPS at The Lowest settings in FH4.Same with BeamNG, Saw a benchmark online...
  5. GPU Underperforming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Can't open Settings and other.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open Settings and other.: Hi Microsoft.Why can't i open settings and my file explorer loading too long. and when the loading complete it's either file explorer not responding or its blank. and some app can't be opened like paint, etc....
  7. Can't open Settings and other.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open Settings and other.: Hi Microsoft.Why can't i open settings and my file explorer loading too long. and when the loading complete it's either file explorer not responding or its blank. and some app can't be opened like paint, etc....
  8. Can't open settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open settings: Hello, I'm writing to you because i want you to help me fix my settings button on my computer!!! When I press the settings button, [ATTACH] my settings aren't opening.Can you help me fix this?Also you can answer me with an email at *** Email address is removed for privacy...
  9. Can't open settings.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open settings.: Hi, I'm using windows 10 for about 5 months now. first, there were no issues whatsoever but now suddenly I can't launch the setting or the "add or remove programs" app. maybe there are other things I can't, however, I didn't notice anything yet. please let me know if...
  10. Can't open settings.

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open settings.: So I did the Windows 10 upgrade (WOOHOO!) Everything went smoothly during the install. As I was checking out the start menu I clicked on the little Settings cog in the lower left. All that happens when I do this is a super quick flash of what I assume is the settings window....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. solved st2000dm008

2. computer underperforming after windows update

3. st2000dm008-2fr102 problem