Windows 10: Computer unexpectedly restored Win 8.1 - can I upgrade to Win10 again?

Discus and support Computer unexpectedly restored Win 8.1 - can I upgrade to Win10 again? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yesterday a friend's computer (Windows 10 auto upgrade from 8.1, years ago) suddenly refused the (only) user password, probably due to a failed update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by benoitvm, May 6, 2019.

1. benoitvm Win User

Computer unexpectedly restored Win 8.1 - can I upgrade to Win10 again?

Yesterday a friend's computer (Windows 10 auto upgrade from 8.1, years ago) suddenly refused the (only) user password, probably due to a failed update (Windows or Office365).

Of course, no pwd recovery disk, it's a local account etc.

After some wizardry I managed to log in and now I realize that the computer automagically returned to the original Windows 8.1 !

The machine behaves strangely, a.o. there is a DELL backup/restore process that keeps eating most of the disk I/O each time the system is restarted - so it's probably a good idea to give it a fresh start.

I have backed up the data to an external drive and would like to install a fresh Win10 on this system.

Problem: the system shipped with Win 8.1 and that is now the version that is running after the mysterious silent system restore of yesterday; I guess this is also the version of the factory image in the OEM recovery partition.

Question: now that the free Win10 upgrade window is over, how can I reinstall Win10 on this computer ? That version was running until the problems of yesterday.

More generally: how do people manage situations where a reset to an old Windows version (factory image/DVD) is necessary due to disk crash etc, after a successful free upgrade to Win10 and a Win10 image backup is not available ?

:)

benoitvm, May 6, 2019
  2. xarzu Win User

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

My new Vista computer sometimes unexpectedly shuts off. Any suggestions?

xarzu, May 6, 2019
  3. dexec Win User
    Laptop with free Win10 upgrade crashed, restored laptop but it re-installed Win 8 (previous to upgrade). How to get Win10 back?

My HP laptop with free Win10 upgrade crashed, it had Win8 earlier. I restored the laptop from HP recovery tool but it re-installed Win 8 (previous to upgrade). How to get Win10 back?

dexec, May 6, 2019
  4. Computer unexpectedly restored Win 8.1 - can I upgrade to Win10 again?

Why does HP and other retailers still sell win7/8.1 and upgrade to win10? what happens if the mb is replaced by warranty after 1 year?

actually, the new motherboard from warranty service replacement also has an OEM key.

this year alone, I am in the third year of warranty for a hp elite 8300, the motherboard was replaced. I had to perform an upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 for the 2nd time then perform a restore from image backup of my harddisk.

(

step 1: image harddisk containing win10 upgraded from win8)

step 2: install win 8

step 3: upgrade win 8 to win10, activate

step 4, restore harddisk from image

)

the point being, this procedure will no longer be applicable once the free upgrade period is expired.

ie: if a buy a hp/dell pc right now that only comes with win7/8.1, in the 2nd year of warranty, i no longer can upgrade from win7/win8.1 after the warranty replacement of a motherboard)

loupgarou24., May 6, 2019
Thema:

Computer unexpectedly restored Win 8.1 - can I upgrade to Win10 again?

1. Computer unexpectedly restored Win 8.1 - can I upgrade to Win10 again? - Similar Threads - Computer unexpectedly restored

2. I need help with Win 8 it can't update to get Win 8.1 then I can get Win 10 again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help with Win 8 it can't update to get Win 8.1 then I can get Win 10 again.: HELLO after I got a update my windows 10 it would not start up normally and the screen was purple and logo would never come up and the mouse arrow was not working either.I bought this Lenovo Idealpad Z580 back when Win 8 came out. then my laptop was able to get Win 8.1 then...
  3. I need help with Win 8 it can't update to get Win 8.1 then I can get Win 10 again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I need help with Win 8 it can't update to get Win 8.1 then I can get Win 10 again.: HELLO after I got a update my windows 10 it would not start up normally and the screen was purple and logo would never come up and the mouse arrow was not working either.I bought this Lenovo Idealpad Z580 back when Win 8 came out. then my laptop was able to get Win 8.1 then...
  4. I need help with Win 8 it can't update to get Win 8.1 then I can get Win 10 again.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now: I ran into some issues and had to wipe my HDD and my system was originally a win7 computer that I upgraded to win10 by downloading it. I cant find the download now and I just downloaded about 4 days ago from here. It says on my microsoft profile that I have a key for win 10...
  6. Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now: I ran into some issues and had to wipe my HDD and my system was originally a win7 computer that I upgraded to win10 by downloading it. I cant find the download now and I just downloaded about 4 days ago from here. It says on my microsoft profile that I have a key for win 10...
  7. Need to upgrade win 7 to win10 again. Cant find win10 download now

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How can I restore my computer back to 1-1 - 2018

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I restore my computer back to 1-1 - 2018: How can I restore my computer back to 1-1-2018 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/how-can-i-restore-my-computer-back-to-1-1-2018/fd68bb19-9955-4a6d-98c1-3e5989a53062
  9. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?: As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey. 40889
  10. You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now

in Windows 10 Support
    You Can Upgrade to Win10 Pro for a £1 Now: If you are running Windows 10 Home Edition and want to upgrade to Pro you can do it for about £1 English or 14:99 Swedish kroner. To do this click on Start then Settings. Now click on Update and Security then on Activation and you will see the option to upgrade. Click on...