Windows 10: Computer wakes from hibernation in apparent adhoc manner

Discus and support Computer wakes from hibernation in apparent adhoc manner in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had this problem with Windows 10 since day one and for several months now had got to the point where I'd thought I'd got it sorted but tonight... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gusgf, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Gusgf Win User

Computer wakes from hibernation in apparent adhoc manner

I've had this problem with Windows 10 since day one and for several months now had got to the point where I'd thought I'd got it sorted but tonight it's been up to it's usual tricks and booted up when not required. Further investigation under an admin prompt running this command:

Code: powercfg -devicequery wake_armed[/quote] revealed the following culprits:
    Code: HID Keyboard Device (MS driver) Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse HID-compliant mouse (MS driver) ELECOM USB Mouse (001) Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard (001) Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard (003)[/quote] I've been down this road before many times disabling devices in the power management tab. In device manager I could see all the above devices software drivers were dated no later than last year. But all have had events take place dated 18/11/2016, typically events were:
    Device configured
    Device started
    Device service added
    Device installed
    Device install requested

Because of these events I presume the Power Management option 'Allow this device to wake the computer' had been enabled. One driver called 'ELECOM USB Mouse (001)' I didn't even recognise as I don't have an ELECOM mouse and have never seen this driver before.

Shutting off devices from waking up one's computer should be straightforward BUT seems to be far from that in Win10.

Does anyone have any solutions on this?
    Why do device events completely disregard and override the users preferred settings in power management?

:)

Gusgf, Dec 3, 2016

2. Keyboard/mouse now wakes my computer from hibernate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of hibernation was that it can only be turned back on by pressing the power button and couldn't be woken up by mouse/keyboard. My old computer and my laptop acts this way. I've just built a new computer and
    noticed that it wakes from hibernation from both the keyboard and mouse. Is this a new feature? If so, is there a way to undo this?

I thought perhaps the issue was with hybrid sleep being selected, but I turned it off and it still wakes from hibernation so that wasn't it. USB selective suspending is also enabled so when it's in hibernation, it should be suspending my keyboard/mouse
    but apparently it's still monitoring those signals.

I don't want to un-check "allow this device to wake the computer" because I still want to be able to wake my computer from sleep using my mouse/keyboard. But when I'm in hibernation, I want it to act like it's off and ignore mouse/keyboard inputs. There
    should be a way to do this, right? This was how my old computer acted so I would hope so...

dfvx990mq321pl, Dec 3, 2016
  3. nutnate Win User
    Schedule Windows 10 Update Time

Is there a way to set Windows 10 to not wake my computer from hibernation? Due to the nature of what I do with my computer, I have to leave it running for long periods of time without going to sleep, so I have disabled the auto sleep function, and when I
    stop using the computer to save power I put the computer to sleep or hibernate.

My issue is that when Windows Update determines that an update needs to be installed, it will wake my computer up from hibernate or sleep, and my computer won't go back to sleep until I get home, often 24 or more hours later. Can I schedule Windows Update
    to not wake my computer from hibernation, or wait to check until I wake it? I don't mind the updates, I just need my computer to stay in hibernation when I put it there.

nutnate, Dec 3, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

The keyboard and mouse have to stay enabled to wake up the computer from S3 state. Otherwise it just stays asleep forever. You cannot disable from Power Management. If you disable from the Device Manager, you will be asking why the computer cannot be woke up.

bro67, Dec 3, 2016
  5. DavidE Win User
    I have the keyboard and mouse disabled, i wake the pc with the power button.
    Scheduled Tasks can wake a pc.
    In Power Options set Allow wake timers to disabled.

Computer wakes from hibernation in apparent adhoc manner [​IMG]

DavidE, Dec 3, 2016
  6. Gusgf Win User
    Well I have and ALWAYS have disabled from power management and it's worked for ages.

If I want to wake the computer from hibernation (S4) or sleep I do so from the power button. You should try it sometime *Eek

Allowing a computer to wake in response to any mouse or keyboard events would drive me nuts, can't have that on a busy desk!!

Gusgf, Dec 4, 2016
  7. Gusgf Win User
    Did that years ago!

Core question still remains....

Why do device events completely disregard and override the users preferred settings in power management?

Gusgf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer wakes from hibernation in apparent adhoc manner - Similar Threads - Computer wakes hibernation

2. Laptop wakes from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop wakes from Hibernate: I know this problem has been posted many times before, but I have yet to see any answers that help me, and I hope that I will, as this is increasingly frustrating. I have an Asus Zenbook UX434FLC and am using the option to Hibernate when I press the Power button. However,...
  3. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  4. Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation: Winver: 19041.572 I made it hibernate yesterday around 5AM and look at how many times it woke up and went back to sleep: I ran this command on powershell "Get-WinEvent -Providername Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter -MaxEvents 5 | Format-List TimeCreated,Message"...
  5. Updates waking my computer from hibernate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates waking my computer from hibernate: Windows update turns my computer on from hibernate during the middle of the night Worse it often then force restarts my computer potentially resulting in lost data (I only ever put it in hibernate when I want everything to still be open when I turn it back on) I could...
  6. System waking from hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    System waking from hibernate: I have used gpedit.msc to set Enable Windows Update Power Management to disabled but still I come back to my laptop after hibernating it and find it is awake and that powercfg -lastwake shows: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0]...
  7. Computer won't wake from hibernation mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake from hibernation mode: I have a HP spectre computer, and it doesn't wake up from hibernation. I have tried ti use the windows button + x, but nothing happens! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-wont-wake-from-hibernation-mode/407dbe9f-b137-493f-80f7-7808dad92efd
  8. Wake from hibernation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Wake from hibernation: My system goes into Hibernate mode in 180 minutes when I don’t use it and I have to wake it up by pressing the power button. The problem is that I use my laptop mainly as a desktop machine and need to lift the lid and press the button often. Is there any way to wake up the...
  9. Computer wakes from hibernation by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer wakes from hibernation by itself: It is happening around 6:00 AM every morning. Oddly it does not seem to be the exact same time. I have seemingly tried every obvious solution. 105084
  10. Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation: Hello, My computer keeps waking when I put it to sleep and I can't determine the cause. How do I find out the reason it woke up, and how do I force it to ignore this event in future? I have a feeling it's one of my peripherals, but I can't be sure. Thank you! 45576