Windows 10: Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

Discus and support Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My computer keeps waking when I put it to sleep and I can't determine the cause. How do I find out the reason it woke up, and how do I force... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DanielDC88, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

Hello,

My computer keeps waking when I put it to sleep and I can't determine the cause. How do I find out the reason it woke up, and how do I force it to ignore this event in future? I have a feeling it's one of my peripherals, but I can't be sure.

Thank you!

:)

DanielDC88, Mar 28, 2016
  2. nutnate Win User

Schedule Windows 10 Update Time

Is there a way to set Windows 10 to not wake my computer from hibernation? Due to the nature of what I do with my computer, I have to leave it running for long periods of time without going to sleep, so I have disabled the auto sleep function, and when I
    stop using the computer to save power I put the computer to sleep or hibernate.

My issue is that when Windows Update determines that an update needs to be installed, it will wake my computer up from hibernate or sleep, and my computer won't go back to sleep until I get home, often 24 or more hours later. Can I schedule Windows Update
    to not wake my computer from hibernation, or wait to check until I wake it? I don't mind the updates, I just need my computer to stay in hibernation when I put it there.

nutnate, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Blue Screen Error

Does this happen when you wake up the computer from sleep or hibernate?

tamara_sadel, Mar 28, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

Dear Daniel:
    By some strange happenstance, I just blogged about this yesterday. You'll find some recommended command line tools, and information about wake events in the Event Viewer, along with a link to a Ghacks.com article that explains exactly how to use them to find out what's causing your PC to wake up. Here's a link to that post: Achieving Windows Sleep Protection. In my particular case, it was a Wake-on-LAN Packet coming across the network that was waking my PC up. Potential causes are legion, but the powercfg command options and Event Viewer will set you straight, quickly!
    Good luck,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 28, 2016
  5. Dear Edd,

Thanks for your help. I've gone through disabling each device that appeared to be waking the PC, but it's still waking. This is what CMD shows:

Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation [​IMG]

Any ideas what to do now?

Thanks!

DanielDC88, May 15, 2016
  6. uglysquid Win User
    Here's what worked for me: Right click on Start, Device Manager, expand Network Adapters, right click on your main one (or just try this on all of them, really, to be sure), Properties. On the Advanced tab, disable Wake on Magic Packet (this is probably the culprit), Wake on Link Settings, and Wake on Pattern Match. The consequences of this is that you cannot wake your computer remotely over a network. By the way, disabling these on a laptop will save a tiny bit of battery.

uglysquid, May 15, 2016
  7. I've already disabled all of these features.

DanielDC88, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

1. Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation - Similar Threads - Computer Wakes Sleep

2. Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.: Pretty much the title. Bluetooth no longer works after computer wakes from Sleep or Hibernate. I have already tried DISM, sfc & restarting Bluetooth servcies. Nothing works. Trying to stop or restart any Bluetooth service just returns an error. How do I fix this?...
  3. Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.: Pretty much the title. Bluetooth no longer works after computer wakes from Sleep or Hibernate. I have already tried DISM, sfc & restarting Bluetooth servcies. Nothing works. Trying to stop or restart any Bluetooth service just returns an error. How do I fix this?...
  4. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  5. Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer keeps waking up from sleep/hibernation: Winver: 19041.572 I made it hibernate yesterday around 5AM and look at how many times it woke up and went back to sleep: I ran this command on powershell "Get-WinEvent -Providername Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter -MaxEvents 5 | Format-List TimeCreated,Message"...
  6. How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep: In Windows 10 version 1909, how do I prevent waking from Hibernation but allow waking from Sleep? I don't want my PC to wake from mouse and keyboard movements, but I am maybe okay for it to wake to install updates but if it does this, I'd like it to put itself back into...
  7. BSOD/Slow wake when waking from sleep/hibernation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD/Slow wake when waking from sleep/hibernation: So for the past few weeks I have been experiencing issues with waking up from either hibernation or sleep mode. Whenever I prompt the laptop to wake up (either WOL, using a usb device, power button) the display either hangs and takes a solid 2 minutes to display the log on...
  8. Computer reboots instead of waking up from Sleep/Hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer reboots instead of waking up from Sleep/Hibernate mode: When I put my notebook (ASUS N750JK) to sleep at the end of the day, the next morning it reboots instead of waking up. Every time it happens, the Event Log shows a Critical Event (KernelPower, Event ID 41, I have a log file). It has been happening consistently for the past...
  9. BSOD waking from sleep or hibernate

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD waking from sleep or hibernate: Hello! I have BSODs after waking my computer up. Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1. Waking from hibernate generates Kernel_Security_Check_Failure. Waking from sleep generates mostly IRQ NOT EQUAL. Could you please help? Thanks! 41620
  10. Computer wakes from hibernation by itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer wakes from hibernation by itself: It is happening around 6:00 AM every morning. Oddly it does not seem to be the exact same time. I have seemingly tried every obvious solution. 105084