Windows 10: Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled

Discus and support Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello! I'm using Asrock Z87 Pro motherboard with onboard Intel I217-V network adapter. For few years I was running Windows 8, and had configured... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FakeUsername, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled

Hello!

I'm using Asrock Z87 Pro motherboard with onboard Intel I217-V network adapter. For few years I was running Windows 8, and had configured computer to wake only on Magic Packet being received on port 9 - everything worked flawless.

Recently I made fresh installation of Windows 10, installed all manufacturer's drivers, configured network adapter as before (wake on LAN only on Magic Packet), also disabled all other wake timers - everything is set as before. But now computer keeps waking up at random moments around 30min to 1hour after being put to sleep and "powercfg -lastwake" shows that it's the ethernet module that wakes computer up, although it's set to wake from only Magic Packet. What the hell? *Sad

I also checked my router log files - only magic packets being sent are from my phone when I genuienly needed to wake up PC. Also I don't want to disable WOL functionality altogether, because it's very convenient to remotely wake and access home PC.

Could someone suggest what to try next?

:)

FakeUsername, Nov 8, 2016
  2. Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Nov 8, 2016
  3. Windows 10 randomly wakes up from hibernate with source unkown

I'll take it as:

tick: Allow this device to wake the computer

and the sub-entry

tick: Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

Both under Power Management

Under advanced I've enabled "Wake on Magic Packet"

and disabled "Wake on Pattern Match"

"I'll be back"

PeterKyllesbeck, Nov 8, 2016
  4. Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled

Same question - details and feelings all the same (if that matters). Anyone have any insight into this matter?

Typhoon859, Apr 9, 2018
Thema:

Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled

1. Computer wakes on LAN, even if Magic Packet is enabled - Similar Threads - Computer wakes LAN

2. Computers not waking on LAN command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computers not waking on LAN command: Small network, 14 Windows 10 21H2 computersSome will wake on Remote Connection or Wake-On-Lan command, others will not, unable to wake one even when it is being used by another userAll show NIC as wake armedHybrid Sleep offWake Timers enabledOCI Express Link State OffUSB...
  3. Wake on LAN magic package comes through but does not wake up the laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wake on LAN magic package comes through but does not wake up the laptop: Hi guys, I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 5 and I have checked most of the settings for WoL to work and on Wireshark, I can see that the magic package comes through when I send it via a WoL app on my phone, but my Laptop does not wake up. Does anyone know how to fix it? submitted by...
  4. My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only.

My WiFi is waking my PC from sleep, even if I've enabled magic packets only.: I have configured my PC so only magic packets can wake it from sleep, yet it seems like my network card is responsible for waking it up from sleep. Have this happened to you? submitted by /u/BuldozerX [link] [comments]...
  5. Computer wakes from WOL without sending magic packet

Computer wakes from WOL without sending magic packet: I recently enabled Wake on LAN and Wake on WAN so that I can easily Remote Desktop from my iPad when away from my desk, whether I’m on my home network or not. Everything is working as intended, but I’ve noticed my PC wakes from sleep and hibernate randomly on its own,...
  6. Wake-On-Lan No Longer Works Except for Magic Packet

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake-On-Lan No Longer Works Except for Magic Packet: Hi, I have been using Wake-On-LAN for a number of years, but it recently seems to have begun acting differently. Although I have "only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" unchecked in my Ethernet device's settings, in fact only a magic packet will wake the computer....
  7. Windows 10 rebooting after waking from sleep with WOL magic packet

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 rebooting after waking from sleep with WOL magic packet: Hi there I've been looking around various places on the internet to try and find a solution to this problem but none have presented one yet so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone has encountered a similar one. For years I have been using sleep mode in Windows 10 and...
  8. LAN packet loss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    LAN packet loss: Hello , This is a strange one, every test of ping i got a packet loss using Ethernet cable but when i use WI-FI adapter it's work fine (no packet loss) . Im sure that the router is OK and my hardware & software (motherboard) is OK, i tested with same pc a portable Linux...
  9. Wake-On-Lan only works when I disable NIC "magic packet only" option

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wake-On-Lan only works when I disable NIC "magic packet only" option: I'm running Windows 10 Pro on an Asus P8Z68-VLX motherboard with a Realtek PCIe GBE family NIC. If I tick the "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" option in the Power Management options of the NIC I can't wake the PC using the Wake-On-Lan feature app from another...
  10. Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?: Setting up a Win 10 PC for shares, videos, which will be used lightly. I would like to have it sleep, and not have to do a separate operation to wake it with a magic packet before accessing. Is this possible? Any suggestions appreciated. 37517