Windows 10: Computer will freeze and make me automatically restart using power button.

Discus and support Computer will freeze and make me automatically restart using power button. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a CyberPower Computer that has been freezing and forcing me to restart for the last couple months. Currently, it is mostly happening when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JackJ138, May 16, 2020.

1. JackJ138 Win User

Computer will freeze and make me automatically restart using power button.

Hello, I have a CyberPower Computer that has been freezing and forcing me to restart for the last couple months. Currently, it is mostly happening when I am playing games. However, after I restart it once it does freeze it may freeze again sometimes. I do not get any sort of warning or error code that it will freeze.

Specs:

Processor - Intel Core i7-6700k

Graphics Card- AMD Radeon R9 390 Series

Motherboard- MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MS-7A12

RAM- 16GB

:)

JackJ138, May 16, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Use the power button to turn off the computer at Welcome screen

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to turn off computer at the Welcome screen using the power button.

Ideally, if no user has logged in to the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, I would suggest you to check the settings for power button. Refer the steps mentioned below and see if that helps:

1. Press Windows key + X, and select
      Power Options.
    2. Click on Additional power settings.
    3. Now, click on Choose what power button does from the left pane.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    5. Select Shut down from the drop down for
      When I press the power button.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you may also want to check the Group Policy Settings, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Navigate to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Power Management\Button Settings.
    4. On the right pane, double click on Select the Power button action (plugged in), click on
      Enabled and select Shutdown from the drop down for
      Power Button Action.
    5. Repeat step 4 for Select the Power button action (on battery).
    6. Restart the computer.

If a user has logged in to the computer and then logs off from the computer, the computer will shut down by pressing the power button. However, if a user is logged in to the computer and locks the computer using the
    Windows key + L combination, the power button will not shutdown the computer. You will have to use the power button on the lock screen to shut down the computer.

If you do not see the shutdown button, please refer the article Shutdown:
    Allow system to be shut down without having to log on

If the issue persists, I would suggest you to provide a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub. The Feedback hub lets you tell Microsoft
    about any problems you run in to while using Windows 10 and send suggestions to help us improve your Windows experience.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 16, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Computer freezes and restarts automatically

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that your computer freezes and restarts automatically.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know if you make any recent software or hardware changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Try the steps listed here:

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Corrupt System files.

2. Conflict between external devices third party applications.

Method 1:

Unplug all the external devices connected to your system (except the Keyboard and mouse) and check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the
    provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 3:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in the
    search box.

b. Right-click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
    Enter.

Note: Do not close the Command Prompt Window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, May 16, 2020
  4. Computer will freeze and make me automatically restart using power button.

Unable to get into desktop screen, but can get into with forcefull restart using power button.

Hi Colinito,

I would surely assist you for sure.

Before I proceed further, I would like to know the information below,

• Did you make any recent changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to disconnect all he external devices connected to the computer and reconnect it. This is to check if the issue is conflicted to the external devices. Once you are boot to computer install
    all the pending updates.

Also install all the Windows pending updates.

I suggest you to
    install the updates again, and restart the computer.

• In search type Check for updates and hit enter.

• Click on Check for updates, Windows will automatically download the latest updates.

Method 2: Try updating the display driver through device manager and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Display Adapter.

• Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update driver software.
    Also install the latest updated display drivers from the manufacturer website from the below link provided.

laptops and netbooks :: lenovo g series laptops :: lenovo g585 notebook - GB

Since the computer freezes while botting and as it take too long time to boot to desktop screen, I suggest you to follow the below steps.

Method 3: follow the below step for
    Fast startup to boot to the computer.

I suggest you to follow the Fast startup option Settings, if you are able to boot to the desktop screen.

• You may also try enabling the Fast Startup.

• Press Windows
      + X key and click Control Panel.

• Click on Power options.

• Click on "Choose what the power buttons do".

• Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable". If it prompts to click on yes, then click
      yes.

• Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (Recommended)" under shutdown settings.

• Click Save changes
      to configure the settings.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Computer will freeze and make me automatically restart using power button.

1. Computer will freeze and make me automatically restart using power button. - Similar Threads - Computer freeze automatically

2. My laptop randomly freezes and makes a buzzing sound and i have to use power button but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop randomly freezes and makes a buzzing sound and i have to use power button but...: recently bought a MSI RAIDER GE76 for gaming and every now and then it would freeze up and make the buzzing and I turn off my laptop for an hour or 2. I tried to reinstall the graphics driver from what I read online, but I am still getting this problem. Anything else that I...
  3. My laptop randomly freezes and makes a buzzing sound and i have to use power button but...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop randomly freezes and makes a buzzing sound and i have to use power button but...: recently bought a MSI RAIDER GE76 for gaming and every now and then it would freeze up and make the buzzing and I turn off my laptop for an hour or 2. I tried to reinstall the graphics driver from what I read online, but I am still getting this problem. Anything else that I...
  4. My laptop randomly freezes and makes a buzzing sound and i have to use power button but...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. My computer screen keeps freezing, making me have to restart.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer screen keeps freezing, making me have to restart.: I keep getting frozen screens and sometimes BSODs. When I open Event viewer after I restart I get this message: "The inpoutx64 service failed to start due to the following error: The driver was not loaded because it failed its initialization call." How do I fix this?edit: I...
  6. My computer screen keeps freezing, making me have to restart.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer screen keeps freezing, making me have to restart.: I keep getting frozen screens and sometimes BSODs. When I open Event viewer after I restart I get this message: "The inpoutx64 service failed to start due to the following error: The driver was not loaded because it failed its initialization call." How do I fix this?edit: I...
  7. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...: The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was wrong, tried sfc /scannow and it said it fixed something two of the several times I ran it ~5, but it keeps just doing it. Any...
  8. Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer keeps freezing, often needing a restart pressing the power button and, less often,...: The title is pretty self explainatory. I could be doing anything and then the screen just freezes. Already performed a memory check and nothing was wrong, tried sfc /scannow and it said it fixed something two of the several times I ran it ~5, but it keeps just doing it. Any...
  9. Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Restart Requires Holding Down Power Button: Hello,We just got a refurbished PC with Windows 10. It has a weird issue that I can not figure out.When you select to do a restart, the screen comes up that says "Restarting...", and then the monitor goes black, all the lights turn off, and you can not hear any sounds coming...
  10. Automatic restart is literally making me buy a Macbook

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic restart is literally making me buy a Macbook: Is THERE anyway to stop auto restart? For a week now I'm trying to render out a 3D scene so I leave my project over night to render for its 7ish hours time to completion. BUT windows restarts. YES, I check for updates every day, PC says "you're up to date", dirty little liar....