Windows 10: Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

Discus and support Computer will not boot after adding second HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OneT2112, May 30, 2019.

1. OneT2112 Win User

Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I disconnected the new HDD, but it is still not booting. I keep coming to this screen.

Computer will not boot after adding second HDD [​IMG]

I tried solving the issue using Command Prompt and System Restore, but they all resulted in errors. I made sure everything was connected properly. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this?

:)

OneT2112, May 30, 2019
  2. JFox963 Win User

Adding second hdd

I have added aa second hdd to a dell inspirion desktop. I am going to install win 10 on it. There is win 7 on the original hdd which still works. The plan is to use the new hdd as the principal drive when all the installs are finished on it. I will then
    delete the Win 7 on the original hdd, IF I should, and use it for non-critical storage until it fails.

I have been told that I should unplug the original hdd when installing win 10 on the new drive,

so as not to mash up the boot process on each.

With the only OS now disconnected, how can I load my Home Full Version on this new drive?

As I'm copying programs and files from the old to the new hdd how do I boot up the win 7 hdd?

Lastly what size partitions should I set up on the new hdd prior to the new WIN 10 install?

Is there a knowledge base article that addresses these issues?

Any help or suggestions are much welcomed.

JFox963, May 30, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 30, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

XP Boot HDD taken from Failed MB - Get Files?

Just as I suspected... :shadedshu Can't access the Document and Settings for some users on HDD unless I've booted from it and logged in as the user - in this case myself...

Next step boot the old HDD on a different computer in safe mode, with fingers crossed.

Sasqui, May 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer will not boot after adding second HDD - Similar Threads - Computer boot adding

2. Adding a second HD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding a second HD: I would like to add the HD from my previous desktop to my new desktop. The few articles I've read have only to do with a NEW HD, not a loaded one and require formatting which I fear will erase the HD. Is this doable? Both are system 10. Any links would be appreciated....
  3. Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding a second monitor to a Dell computer with only a VGA port: I have a Dell laptop which has only a VGA monitor port for adding a second monitor. How can I attach a second monitor using this VGA port and still make use of virtual desktop? If I add the second monitor it automatically opts to use the chip set that monitor 1 is using and...
  4. Windows won't boot after adding second graphics card or enabling iGPU

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows won't boot after adding second graphics card or enabling iGPU: Here is my system info: Windows 10 pro 64 - ver 1809 - build 17763.195 i7-8700 Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard 64GB (4x16) Ripjaws V series DDR4 2666 CL15 2 x ADATA XPG SX6000Pro 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 M.2 2280 NVMe drives (RAID 1) PNY Quadro P2000 graphics card PNY Quadro...
  5. Adding second display

Adding second display: I am trying to connect a second monitor to my Inspiron 13 tablet using an HDMI cable. How do I get this to work? The monitor is on, but I am not finding anywhere in settings on the tablet it add it....
  6. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...
  7. Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crash/Freeze Seems Random after adding a second USB external NTFS HDD: I recently added a USB WD MyBook external HDD. Also have a USB My Passport HDD. A few days after adding the MyBook, and every few days after that I am getting system freeze, where the mouse and keyboard (also USB wireless) stop responding. Only way is to power off/on to get...
  8. Second HDD Super Slow.

Second HDD Super Slow.: I have installed Windows 10 on my C:\ (SSD) but D:\ (Regular HDD) is super slow and i think it has something to do with admin rights and stuff. Anyone know how to fix this? Sometimes when opening folders with alot of videos (20+) It takes Windows 10 a super long time to...
  9. Install second hdd

Install second hdd: Hi. Just decided to install a second HDD to hold my documents photos etc how would I set that drive H to save my items. I want all my stuff to save to that H HHD automatic upon selecting save as. My C drive has the O/P and all programs. Any help please. Thanks. 89943
  10. How to boot off second HDD using EasyBCD

How to boot off second HDD using EasyBCD: I have a Win 7 "crap" partition on the second HDD in my system. I use it when I need to to run tests, like downloading some new utility. Up to now, I've been using the BIOS with boot priority override to boot into this drive. So today I used EasyBCD and added another boot...