Windows 10: Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

Discus and support Computer will not boot after adding second HDD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by OneT2112, May 30, 2019.

1. OneT2112 Win User

Computer will not boot after adding second HDD

I added a new HDD to my desktop. My computer started fine, but did not pick up the new HDD, so I restarted my computer. However, it did not boot. I disconnected the new HDD, but it is still not booting. I keep coming to this screen.

Computer will not boot after adding second HDD [​IMG]

I tried solving the issue using Command Prompt and System Restore, but they all resulted in errors. I made sure everything was connected properly. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this?

:)

OneT2112, May 30, 2019
  2. JFox963 Win User

Adding second hdd

I have added aa second hdd to a dell inspirion desktop. I am going to install win 10 on it. There is win 7 on the original hdd which still works. The plan is to use the new hdd as the principal drive when all the installs are finished on it. I will then
    delete the Win 7 on the original hdd, IF I should, and use it for non-critical storage until it fails.

I have been told that I should unplug the original hdd when installing win 10 on the new drive,

so as not to mash up the boot process on each.

With the only OS now disconnected, how can I load my Home Full Version on this new drive?

As I'm copying programs and files from the old to the new hdd how do I boot up the win 7 hdd?

Lastly what size partitions should I set up on the new hdd prior to the new WIN 10 install?

Is there a knowledge base article that addresses these issues?

Any help or suggestions are much welcomed.

JFox963, May 30, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 30, 2019
  4. Sasqui Win User

XP Boot HDD taken from Failed MB - Get Files?

Just as I suspected... :shadedshu Can't access the Document and Settings for some users on HDD unless I've booted from it and logged in as the user - in this case myself...

Next step boot the old HDD on a different computer in safe mode, with fingers crossed.

Sasqui, May 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer will not boot after adding second HDD - Similar Threads - Computer boot adding

2. Wont boot after i cleaned my second hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wont boot after i cleaned my second hdd: Hi, i my computer decided to not work after i cleaned the data from my second hdd drive today. Let start from the begining, i hade a hdd drive as my first drive and i hade it for 3 years then i upgraded to a m,2 ssd 3 months ago. I cloned the data from the hdd drive to my m.2...
  3. Wont boot after i cleaned my second hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wont boot after i cleaned my second hdd: Hi, i my computer decided to not work after i cleaned the data from my second hdd drive today. Let start from the begining, i hade a hdd drive as my first drive and i hade it for 3 years then i upgraded to a m,2 ssd 3 months ago. I cloned the data from the hdd drive to my m.2...
  4. Wont boot after i cleaned my second hdd

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  6. Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 2019 Server won't boot after adding a HDD: I've had this issue before. I have a clean install of WIndows 2019 Server on a HP Proliant Gen8 Microserver.I installed it with just a SSD.I then powered it off and added a HDD which is GPT and NTFS formatted with data on it. But it won't boot afterwards and gives...
  7. Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Longer Boot Time after adding HDD, Is this normal?: I have noticed on my computer that the boot time takes much longer than normal. I bought a Dell Inspiron Laptop Link to amazon for specs that came with an SSD and no hard drive. The laptop was able to be partially upgraded with new components, I have since added more RAM,...
  8. Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow boot after either new HDD added and windows update: Hi. A couple of days ago I added a HDD to my PC for expanded storage (Its not a boot drive and has the lowest boot priority of all my drives). It showed up and worked no problem and I used the PC for the rest of the day as usual with no problems. When I went to power off I...
  9. Windows 10 won't boot after adding second drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 won't boot after adding second drive: Recently, I transferred the hard drive from my laptop to my PC to use as a second drive. Now, when I try to turn the PC on, it won't boot. In order for me to boot the PC, I need to remove the second drive, turn of the PC then after it is fully booted, plug the second drive...
  10. Adding second computer to "Microsoft Account"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding second computer to "Microsoft Account": I hope this is the right group, I use two laptops, when I sign into my Microsoft Account, it is only showing one. I would like for it to show both. But when I click add device it's only talking about xbox's, and such, is there any way to add a second computer....