Windows 10: Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached

Discus and support Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently was given a new computer when I began working for a new employer. The files from my previous computer on one drive were now on the new one.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LarryG825, Nov 3, 2021.

1. LarryG825 Win User

Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached

I recently was given a new computer when I began working for a new employer. The files from my previous computer on one drive were now on the new one. Some of these were personal so I moved the ones I wanted from One Drive to an external drive. Since then, if I boot up without the external drive attached, the only icon appearing on my desktop previous computer is the recycle bin, and there is a message about the external drive missing. Also, all of the program files that were in the taskbar are missing. I even copied the files I removed back to One Drive, but the problem persists. No system

:)

LarryG825, Nov 3, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Laptop won't boot with new external hard drive attached.

The problem is probably in your BIOS . . .

• Plug in the external HDD
    • Boot into BIOS
    • Make sure the external drive is not above your internal HDD in the boot order list
    • Enable or disable USB Legacy Boot, whichever setting allows your system to boot with the external HDD plugged in . . .

DaveM121, Nov 3, 2021
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Boot with external HD attached.

I think you need to explain a little more. A computer will start perfectly well with an external hard drive attached. Just start a you would normally.

BulldogXX, Nov 3, 2021
  4. Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached

External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Nov 3, 2021
Thema:

Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached

1. Computer will not boot normally without external drive attached - Similar Threads - Computer boot normally

2. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  3. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD: HDDs in Question:- SSD, containing the OS 500GB- Original HDD 2T- New HDD 4TMy PC was running low on memory, so I purchased a new Internal HDD 4T to replace the 2T HDD. I also purchased a 5T external to copy the files from the old HDD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the old...
  4. PC Won't Boot Normally Without External HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer refusing to boot normally

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer refusing to boot normally: My computer is refusing to boot. Whenever it gets to the Windows logo screen the loading icon starts to lag then eventually freezes. I can boot into safe mode but not into normal Windows. If it matters, I'm running Windows 10 Build 2004. My CPU is a Ryzen 3 2200G, and my GPU...
  6. Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached: So this question is asked here and there with nothing concrete. I have an alienware alpha with Windows 10. Whenever I plug in an external hard drive Seagate Backup Plus NAB90MJS 2019 the computer goes into black screen. Things I have tried: 1. Using Legacy BIOS 2....
  7. Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer won't boot with external drive plugged in.: Version 1903 (OS Build 18362. 476) I've got an external drive where I keep many of my private files. I have shortcuts to them on the desktop. No system files are on it. If the drive is plugged in, the computer won't start. It will start only if that drive is unplugged....
  8. External Backup Drive (see snip attached)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Backup Drive (see snip attached): Dell laptop, Win. 10, i7 intel processor, C: Drive SSD 250 Gb, F: Drive, 500 Gb external HDD backup. Computer often tells me I have insufficient space for a backup (scheduled for every day)."Manage Windows Backup Disk Space" confirms I have less space than required so I...
  9. Boot with external HD attached.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot with external HD attached.: Not computer literate. How to start computer with external HD attached? If can't then how make external HD boot disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/boot-with-external-hd-attached/4c1991c9-4df4-4d2f-8229-af92c7d5131b
  10. Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Allowing Computer to boot without secondary drive: All right, so I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is installed to the SSD, but apparently Windows likes to create a boot partition on every drive that's connected when you install, which led to me not being able to boot without the secondary drive. This is usually not a problem...