Windows 10: Computer will not recognize keyboard on start up

Discus and support Computer will not recognize keyboard on start up in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; When I turn on my desktop computer, the lights on my USB connected keyboard will briefly flicker on and then turn off. The keyboard is then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tristanosaur, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Computer will not recognize keyboard on start up

When I turn on my desktop computer, the lights on my USB connected keyboard will briefly flicker on and then turn off. The keyboard is then unresponsive, and I cannot log on because I can’t input my password. The computer and keyboard worked fine for two years until one time I plugged in my iPad and the keyboard stopped working.

The keyboard does work before the windows screen loads, so I can enter BIOS. The second I see the windows 10 logo the lights turn off and the keyboard stops working.

I have tried two different USB keyboards to no avail. I have connected them to my laptop, and they ar functional. My external drives power on when the computer does, so I’m assuming that th USB ports are working (I’ve tried them all). Since the keyboard does not work, I am unable to try updating the drivers.

What do I do?

:)

Tristanosaur, Feb 27, 2018

2. My computer will not recognize a keyboard or mouse on any USB port.

I actually had this problem fixed by using the "Recovery" option from a recovery point set 4 days in the past. That worked for 1 week until I was presented with an update to iTunes and The Cloud. I selected the update option, so my computer automatically
    downloaded and installed both updates. These updates must have been performed in the recent past and while my recovery unloaded them, they were back to be re-installed. Once I had the updates and restarted my computer, boom, no keyboard or mouse would work
    in any usb port. I was back to square one.

Feeling confident I could restore the computer to the same date, I went through that procedure again but, to my dismay, found out the computer simply would not do what I wanted it to do. No matter what recovery point I selected, I got an error box that some
    file would not load and the recovery had failed. It told me to turn off Windows Defender, which I did, to no avail. I still got the error box. This time I had to use the "RESET" computer option. That uninstalled ALL my apps and programs but kept my files.
    Afterwards, I could pick and choose what I wanted to re-install, so I chose not to put iTunes or The Cloud back on. Everything's been working fine since then.

JamesPack1, Feb 27, 2018
  3. My computer will not recognize a keyboard or mouse on any USB port.

Something about Windows Update recovery. I looked like it fixed and update issue but I just restarted it and it still has the same problem. Now it says: Security Center Services not running. I tried to turn that on but it wouldn't let me. I just tried
    to use Recovery but it says the recovery system is not working properly. Unknown error, etc. I'm blocked at every turn it seems. Looking now a Advanced startup and possibly using the "Reset this PC" option next.

JamesPack1, Feb 27, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Computer will not recognize keyboard on start up

There have been recent problems with Spectre and Meltdown.
    Windows updates were produced and they had unforeseen side effects.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ectre-meltdown
    There is a known problem with recent Windows updates with USB ports (problems with mouse and keyboard).
    The fix is to remove the latest Windows update.
    Look at these links to see if any of them are applicable to your situation:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...stalling-the-j
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ry-13-2018-upd
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...date-kb4074588

zbook, Feb 27, 2018
  5. Lange666 Win User
  6. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer will not recognize keyboard on start up

1. Computer will not recognize keyboard on start up - Similar Threads - Computer recognize keyboard

2. Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.: My keyboard doesnt turn on when my PC does. It does work fine when it comes from sleep mode instead of a full restart.When i unplug the USB to reconnect it often gives me a connect sound and then a disconnect sound. i retry this with different USB ports until it works.My...
  3. Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard doesnt start up with the computer on start up.: My keyboard doesnt turn on when my PC does. It does work fine when it comes from sleep mode instead of a full restart.When i unplug the USB to reconnect it often gives me a connect sound and then a disconnect sound. i retry this with different USB ports until it works.My...
  4. Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs: Recently, the start menu has been unresponsive to keyboard inputs. I cannot enter letters to search items, pressing escape does not exit out of the menu, etc. It is working fine with every other app and windows but just not on windows default apps and start menu.The mouse is...
  5. Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs

Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs: Recently, the start menu has been unresponsive to keyboard inputs. I cannot enter letters to search items, pressing escape does not exit out of the menu, etc. It is working fine with every other app and windows but just not on windows default apps and start menu.The mouse is...
  6. Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs: Hi there.Recently, the start menu has been unresponsive to keyboard inputs. I cannot enter letters to search items, pressing escape does not exit out of the menu, etc.The mouse is still recognized and usable.This issue occurred out of nowhere. I have not edited any files or...
  7. Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs

Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs: Hi there.Recently, the start menu has been unresponsive to keyboard inputs. I cannot enter letters to search items, pressing escape does not exit out of the menu, etc.The mouse is still recognized and usable.This issue occurred out of nowhere. I have not edited any files or...
  8. Start Menu Does Not Recognize Keyboard Inputs

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Computer not recognizing Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse

in Windows 10 News
    Computer not recognizing Monitor, Keyboard or Mouse: You may experience a situation where your Windows 10 computer is not recognizing the Monitor, Keyboard, or Mouse. In this article, we are going to suggest ways using which you can fix the issue yourself, before going to a support technician. Computer not recognizing Monitor,...
  10. Keyboard not recognized at start up before it even get to windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard not recognized at start up before it even get to windows: I've logged in on my work laptop to type this. My machine has the OEM USB keyboard. It recognizes the mouse and when it booted in the safe mode and asks which country I'm in, I click USA and it does not find it via the troubleshooting option. However, in the safe mode system...