Windows 10: Computer will not sleep.

Discus and support Computer will not sleep. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I am having trouble getting my computer to sleep. Can someone please look at this for me? 6968 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jesse Williams, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Computer will not sleep.

Hi, I am having trouble getting my computer to sleep. Can someone please look at this for me?

:)

Jesse Williams, Jun 10, 2015
  2. Chad68 Win User

MY COMPUTER WILL NOT SLEEP

Real nice ms...push a beta version of this ****..going back to windows 7

Chad68, Jun 10, 2015
  3. CWS666 Win User
    Computer will not go to sleep

My PC has stopped going to sleep for no apparent reason. The screen turns off after 10 minute. The PC will sleep when I press the sleep button but apart from that it doesn't sleep and I am not prompted for a password when I go back on.

Any ideas how this can be resolved please?

Charlie Simpson

CWS666, Jun 10, 2015
  4. rno2 Win User

Computer will not sleep.

Sometimes it is your network adapter. Go to device manager, then network adapters and click on properties. Then click on the power managerment tab and uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer".

5. Fafhrd Win User
    I may be having the same problem! The sleep and hibernate options seem to close down the system, then seconds or minutes later, everything wakes up again! Before I get to the PC everything closes down again.

I believe that there is no stability yet and that these options should not be used with Windows 10 beta versions.

Fafhrd, Jun 10, 2015
  6. linw Win User
    Generalising from your problem to all other systems is drawing a long bow. And what does 'no stability' mean?

I am sure there are very many win 10 systems where sleep works as expected, mine included. (It didn't with 8.1 but that is another very long story!).

7. caperjack Win User
    giving it a whack with a hammer might help *chuckle.
    actually just kidding ,but its almost impossible to help you ,as you give us no info on what the specs are of the computer that will not sleep ,your spec show win7 and 8 ,this is win 10 forum ,so a bit more info about your system ,thanks

caperjack, Jun 11, 2015
  8. caperjack Win User

Computer will not sleep.

my win10 computer sleeps and wakes up just fine and is as stable as it was with win8.1 on it

caperjack, Jun 11, 2015
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    It may well be "drawing a long bow" - the chipset drivers upon which many power options are based are not available as stable final versions for beta OS versions that are appearing for Windows 10, especially for old and probably obsolete hardware such as I am using, but that's what this forum is all about, - pushing the boundaries - i'n'it? *Wink

Fafhrd, Jun 11, 2015
  10. DavidY Win User
    Is the computer not sleeping at all? Or is it going to sleep then waking when you don't want it to?

If it's the second option then this tutorial (to show what events have caused the computer to wake) may help you to diagnose - not tried it in Windows 10 but I'd hope it would be the same:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...iewer-log.html

DavidY, Jun 11, 2015
  11. pcreyn319 Win User
    This fixed my issue.

pcreyn319, Jul 29, 2015
  12. CyberTod Win User
    Had exactly the same problem. And indeed it is caused by the network adapter.
    But I am using it to wake up the computer remotely. So if you need that too do not uncheck "Allow this device to wake up the computer", but instead also check "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer"
    Mine was working fine prior to upgrading. I did not look before. Either this option was not available or was unchecked by the upgrade.

CyberTod, Jul 29, 2015
  13. Woody Win User

Computer will not sleep.

Thank you, I use an app from my mobile to wake my PC up [its on the second floor and I do use it as a media server as well] and your trick worked perfectly for me.

Woody, Aug 1, 2015
  14. Liquidirt Win User
    This is happening to me, I have changed setting on network adapters, Device Manager item settings, nothing seems to work. It goes into sleep mode then wakes up on its own within a matter of seconds. Same thing with hibernating.

Liquidirt, Aug 4, 2015
  15. sdnative Win User
    I just upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. The issue here is when sleep or hibernate are clicked, the computer acts like it's going into that mode but actually shuts down instead. Nothing saved. This is a Gateway NV59 notebook. The desktop PC with Windows 10 works fine. It has nothing to do with the "choose what happens when the lid is closed or power button is pushed" settings. I have then all set to sleep.

sdnative, Oct 20, 2015
Thema:

Computer will not sleep.

1. Computer will not sleep. - Similar Threads - Computer sleep

2. My bluetooth mouse won't wake my computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My bluetooth mouse won't wake my computer from sleep: I have tried the following:1 Gone into device manager and uninstalled the USB composite device associated with the Bluetooth mouse and reinstalled it2 Gone into device manager, right clicked on HID-compliant mouse, clicked on Properties, clicked on Power Management, unchecked...
  3. My bluetooth mouse won't wake my computer from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My bluetooth mouse won't wake my computer from sleep: I have tried the following:1 Gone into device manager and uninstalled the USB composite device associated with the Bluetooth mouse and reinstalled it2 Gone into device manager, right clicked on HID-compliant mouse, clicked on Properties, clicked on Power Management, unchecked...
  4. How can I keep my USB systems awake when I put my computer to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I keep my USB systems awake when I put my computer to sleep?: I have only recently converted to W11 Pro from W10 Pro. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse linked via a receiver plugged into a USB port on my monitor. While I was using W10 I could put the system to sleep and later wake it merely by moving the mouse or hitting a key on the...
  5. How can I keep my USB systems awake when I put my computer to sleep?

How can I keep my USB systems awake when I put my computer to sleep?: I have only recently converted to W11 Pro from W10 Pro. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse linked via a receiver plugged into a USB port on my monitor. While I was using W10 I could put the system to sleep and later wake it merely by moving the mouse or hitting a key on the...
  6. Wifi disconnects in Windows 11 when computer goes to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi disconnects in Windows 11 when computer goes to sleep.: Wifi disconnects in Windows 11 when computer goes to sleep. Could not find a "power management tab" as discussed in other forums. Please be more specific on how to prevent this problem. This is extremely frustrating that the descriptions I have found to correct this issue do...
  7. Wifi disconnects in Windows 11 when computer goes to sleep.

Wifi disconnects in Windows 11 when computer goes to sleep.: Wifi disconnects in Windows 11 when computer goes to sleep. Could not find a "power management tab" as discussed in other forums. Please be more specific on how to prevent this problem. This is extremely frustrating that the descriptions I have found to correct this issue do...
  8. New Build windows 11 computer not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Build windows 11 computer not going to sleep: Windows 11 Pro AMD Radeon HD 6570 dual HDMI Intel 12th Gen i7-12700 3600 MHz CPU Gigabyte B760 Gaming AX Motherboard 64 GB Crucial DDR5 RAM 1TB Crucial NVMe SSD Realtek PCIe 2.5 GB Network adapter Corsair 175R ATX case My computer will not enter sleep mode. This computer is a...
  9. New Build windows 11 computer not going to sleep

New Build windows 11 computer not going to sleep: Windows 11 Pro AMD Radeon HD 6570 dual HDMI Intel 12th Gen i7-12700 3600 MHz CPU Gigabyte B760 Gaming AX Motherboard 64 GB Crucial DDR5 RAM 1TB Crucial NVMe SSD Realtek PCIe 2.5 GB Network adapter Corsair 175R ATX case My computer will not enter sleep mode. This computer is a...
  10. Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Sometimes Won't Turn Off After Shutdown or Enter Sleep Correctly: hello,So I have been having a strange problem. It doesn't happen ALOT but it does happen. Out of nowhere when I shut down the computer in Windows the screen will turn off but the computer will stay on. The keyboard lights and mouse lights go out. Pressing keys does nothing. I...