Windows 10: Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive?

Discus and support Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new Dell i3670 with win10 and UEFI. There seems to be no method of booting from a flash drive containing an image file connected to a USB port... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jim8080, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive?

I have a new Dell i3670 with win10 and UEFI. There seems to be no method of booting from a flash drive containing an image file connected to a USB port if I have major problems and the computer will not finish startup. Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC appears to assume the computer is running. Is there an approach? A local technician says no.

Jim

:)

Jim8080, Feb 11, 2019

2. Computer booting up slow and unable to add files to flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click System Maintenance.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot
    and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

With regards to USB flash drive as its not working with different computers as well, you may need to get in touch with the USB flash drive manufacturer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 11, 2019
  3. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Copying movie to Flash Drive

Hi Todd,

One way on how to save and move files to a flash drive is by using the File Explorer in Windows 10. To assist you with your concern, to save your movie file to a flash drive, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Connect your USB flash drive to your PC.
    • Navigate to the folder or location where you save your movie files.
    • Right-click on the movie file and select
      Copy
    • Right-click on the Start menu, and select
      File Explorer.
    • On the left-pane, double-click on This PC.
    • Double-click on the drive letter that correspond to your USB flash drive.
    • Right-click and select Paste.
    • Wait for the process to complete the transfer.
    • Once you’re done, you can safely remove your USB flash drive.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive? - Similar Threads - Computer start boot

2. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  3. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive: As my laptop got bad clusters, and my system not booting, I created a windows 10 bootable flash drive.I have another flash drive 64GB that I formated into NTFS, with GPT partition table, to install windows on it.I started the windows setup process, and when I reached the...
  4. How to install Win10 on a flash drive from a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Setup not booting from Flash drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Setup not booting from Flash drive: Hello, i recently got a new SSD nvme m.2 and connected it everthing was visible but was not working as my hdd still was, i then Went to clone from hdd to SSD but then something was not right. I plugged in my flash drive with new OS setup and deleted all my partition on my hdd...
  6. Windows Setup not booting from Flash drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Setup not booting from Flash drive: Hello, i recently got a new SSD nvme m.2 and connected it everthing was visible but was not working as my hdd still was, i then Went to clone from hdd to SSD but then something was not right. I plugged in my flash drive with new OS setup and deleted all my partition on my hdd...
  7. How do I make a computer boot from a USB thumb drive?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I make a computer boot from a USB thumb drive?: I go into the BIOS and it shows: UEFI boot sources Hard drive Windows boot manager USB hard drive USB floppy/CD Legacy boot sources USB floppy/CD hard drive USB hard drive ADATA SU650 Network controller AMT Windows 10 is on the...
  8. how do i download from flash drive plugin

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how do i download from flash drive plugin: plugged in flash drive to download photos cannot see how to dowmload https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-download-from-flash-drive-plugin/ef67996d-b9d6-4d00-95e3-a701233da1e8
  9. Unable to boot computer from USB flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to boot computer from USB flash drive: hello I have a laptop with bitlocker installed and i do have the login keys for that ... i need to fresh install windows 10 on it and whenever i try to boot with bootable usb device , it doenst work .. the machine has windows 8.1 installed .. my query is whether bit locker...
  10. exporting from computer to flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exporting from computer to flash drive: I have been trying to export a few photos from my computer to my flash drive and can't. Can anyone help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exporting-from-computer-to-flash-drive/9adfc7bc-352c-46f9-a3e8-fb5186d13d24