Windows 10: Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive?

Discus and support Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a new Dell i3670 with win10 and UEFI. There seems to be no method of booting from a flash drive containing an image file connected to a USB port... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jim8080, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jim8080 Win User

Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive?

I have a new Dell i3670 with win10 and UEFI. There seems to be no method of booting from a flash drive containing an image file connected to a USB port if I have major problems and the computer will not finish startup. Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC appears to assume the computer is running. Is there an approach? A local technician says no.

Jim

:)

Jim8080, Feb 11, 2019

2. Computer booting up slow and unable to add files to flash drive

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.
    Follow these steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

• Press Windows key + W and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click System Maintenance.
    • Follow the on-screen instruction to run the troubleshooter.
    I suggest you to place the computer in Clean boot
    and check.

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

With regards to USB flash drive as its not working with different computers as well, you may need to get in touch with the USB flash drive manufacturer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 11, 2019
  3. USB Flash drive made bootable

Hi Nelson,

Check if there is any slide switch on the side that provides write protection. It show's a closed and open lock on each side. We suggest to follow these steps below:

• Insert the USB flash drive into the USB port.
    • Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Search textbox and press Enter.
    • Find Disk Drives and expand it.
    • Find the USB flash drive you want to format, and double-click it. It opens the
      Properties dialog box.
    • Click Policies tab.
    • By default, the Optimize for quick removal option selected, switch it to Optimize for performance and then press
      OK.
    • Now open Computer. Right click on the USB Flash Drive and select Format. The Format dialog box now appears.
    • Select NTFS in the File System field.
    • Press Start and wait while the process will be completed.

You can also connect the USB drive on a different computer and try formatting.

Let us know how it goes.

Martin Bar, Feb 11, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Copying movie to Flash Drive

Hi Todd,

One way on how to save and move files to a flash drive is by using the File Explorer in Windows 10. To assist you with your concern, to save your movie file to a flash drive, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Connect your USB flash drive to your PC.
    • Navigate to the folder or location where you save your movie files.
    • Right-click on the movie file and select
      Copy
    • Right-click on the Start menu, and select
      File Explorer.
    • On the left-pane, double-click on This PC.
    • Double-click on the drive letter that correspond to your USB flash drive.
    • Right-click and select Paste.
    • Wait for the process to complete the transfer.
    • Once you’re done, you can safely remove your USB flash drive.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Sher Amo, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer will not start, how do I boot from a flash drive? - Similar Threads - Computer start boot

2. how do i make a start up drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i make a start up drive: Is there a way to make a start-up using a back up drive? If so, how do I do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-make-a-start-up-drive/12a496b4-4fb9-461d-81f5-326d730c67db
  3. How do I Install win10 on a hard drive using a bootable flash drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I Install win10 on a hard drive using a bootable flash drive?: I downloaded the Media Creation tool and used it and Rufus to create a bootable flash drive. I'm ready to use the flash drive for a clean install. There's a tutorial covering this topic - I read it last night, but cannot find it today. Can someone help? I remember there were...
  4. i go to start then how do i find computer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    i go to start then how do i find computer?: I go to start then how to I find computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-go-to-start-then-how-do-i-find-computer/f2f78a90-58b1-4b2c-9726-ccf00292105a
  5. how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu?: how do I add an app from my computer to the start menu? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/how-do-i-add-an-app-from-my-computer-to-the-start/1cd07736-5445-458e-ba29-dedbc7af75e0
  6. How do I prevent Windows 10 from booting from an old installed drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How do I prevent Windows 10 from booting from an old installed drive: I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 some time ago, and recently the original hard drive refused to boot, apparently due to boot sector errors. I have installed a new hard drive and loaded Windows 10, and installed all required software. Although I have marked all partitions on...
  7. How do I stop computers from syncing?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I stop computers from syncing?: Have used Windows since the mid-90s. A few years ago I was given an iPad mini because I needed a tablet. After fighting with it for a few years I got a tablet running Win10. I've found that after setting up the tablet, changes on the tablet were also made on my desktop. How...
  8. How do I set up a repair flash drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I set up a repair flash drive?: How do I set up a repair flash drive? 49685
  9. How do I get this computer started

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I get this computer started: My wife's ASUS UL80V is in trouble. She chose to install Windows 10 and then forced to have the updates installed. After the most recent update, can't get the machine to start. When we push the power on, things look normal for a few seconds, even the little S/U tune...
  10. How do I boot from dvd drive on HP laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I boot from dvd drive on HP laptop?: How do I boot from dvd drive on HP laptop? According to Google it says press esc repeatedly and then f9. I did this and it did not work so I went into the BIOS and changed boot order to cd/dvd drive at the top but it will not boot do I have to press another key? Thank you in...