Windows 10: Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing

Discus and support Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got a new hard drive and installed Windows 10 Home on it. For the last 2 days after being on for awhile it started to type out a lot of 1s. I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MFriedrichs, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing

I just got a new hard drive and installed Windows 10 Home on it. For the last 2 days after being on for awhile it started to type out a lot of 1s. I am almost positive this is from my number pad because when I turn num lock off it would jump to the end of the page. Yesterday it switched and started typing 2s and it would scroll down when I turn num lock off. I have tried using different keyboards and this still happens. I checked the sticky keys and it is off and the shortcut is turned off.

:)

MFriedrichs, Apr 27, 2020
  2. tracy2016 Win User

Where can I get the candidate characters while typing in traditional characters?

I am trying to type in Traditional Chinese, but the candidate list does not show at all!

It is impossible to type two keys as you suggested. Is there any way I could type in traditional characters as I do in simplified characters?

Can you help me solve this problem? Many thanks.

tracy2016, Apr 27, 2020
  3. double characters

Hi Jay, my name is Max and I'm an independent advisor.

I suggest you check if your keyboard is faulty. Connect the keyboard to a different USB port (if it is a USB keyboard) or a different computer.

If your keyboard is not a culprit, perform the steps below to disable Num Lock:

- Go to the Start menu to find On-Screen Keyboard, open the On-Screen Keyboard and check if characters are doubled when typing

- If the characters are doubled when typing, type a character to check if the Fn + Num Lock keys are highlighted while typing

- If yes, press Fn + Num Lock keys together on the keyboard to disable the active Num Lock and check if it helps.

If Num Lock key is active, it results in characters being typed twice.

Max Newman, Apr 27, 2020
  4. Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing

ALT Key Codes for Special Characters List

I find it easier to just press the key with 1 on it, instead of Alt+(numpad)49 *Wink

Thanks for posting the information and the portable doc.

Every Windows has Charmap in Start | Windows Accessories. It's great if you need a one time character, but not as convenient as learning the few often typed characters such as the ones Dick mentioned.

If you want to go further with characters, beyond this thread then you should take a peek at Charmap

Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing [​IMG]

Slartybart, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing

1. Computer will type out characters for keys I am not pressing - Similar Threads - Computer type characters

2. My computer types out 00 whenever i press ctrl

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer types out 00 whenever i press ctrl: So I have never had this issue before, I left my computer on because i had to go do something and all of a sudden pressing ctrl results in typing a bunch of zero's this is very annoying, I am on a lenovo PC if that helps with anything and I have tried replugging it and...
  3. Keys are typing the wrong characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys are typing the wrong characters: Ive been having an issue in which when I press keys that have two symbols that require shift to type, such as the AT symbol or the brackets, it types a completely different character. For example, pressing shift and 2 produces ", pressing shift and 0 produces = instead of the...
  4. Keys are typing the wrong characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keys are typing the wrong characters: Ive been having an issue in which when I press keys that have two symbols that require shift to type, such as the AT symbol or the brackets, it types a completely different character. For example, pressing shift and 2 produces ", pressing shift and 0 produces = instead of the...
  5. My computer's keyboard keys are typing wrong characters

My computer's keyboard keys are typing wrong characters: Several keys on my laptop are functioning incorrectly, and it's not a hardware related issue. -Backspace key is replacing the previous character with asterisks instead of deleting them -Spacebar is acting as the down key and moves the text after it down a margin while putting...
  6. My computer's keyboard keys are typing wrong characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer's keyboard keys are typing wrong characters: Several keys on my laptop are functioning incorrectly, and it's not a hardware related issue. -Backspace key is replacing the previous character with asterisks instead of deleting them -Spacebar is acting as the down key and moves the text after it down a margin while putting...
  7. My computer's keyboard keys are typing wrong characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Keyboard makes other characters when typing pressing certain keys

Keyboard makes other characters when typing pressing certain keys: i recently bought a new keyboard but now it is makin-g a - signevery time i press these keys zxcvbnm,.- what do i do there has been- -no water damage or anything else since i got it is it hardware or software issue please help :...
  9. When I press the "." key it acts as if I pressed alt. Even while typing this title out it...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I press the "." key it acts as if I pressed alt. Even while typing this title out it...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Gary_Fulman [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jjb003/when_i_press_the_key_it_acts_as_if_i_pressed_alt/
  10. Whenever I press win key + v, I can only type certain characters until I reboot the computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whenever I press win key + v, I can only type certain characters until I reboot the computer: I occasionally press those keys together since I'm switching between different keyboard inputs frequently and it bothers me a lot. It applies to the windows search bar, cortana, explorer etc. Browsers or applications are not affected and work fine. Specifically, I cannot...