Windows 10: Computer won't boot after deleting data partition

Discus and support Computer won't boot after deleting data partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have three drives. Disk 0: Samsung 870 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD (1TB) Disk 1: WD Blue 3.5" SATA HD (1TB) Disk 2: WD Blue 3.5" SATA HD (1TB) I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MisterEd, May 4, 2021.

1. MisterEd Win User

Computer won't boot after deleting data partition

I have three drives. Disk 0: Samsung 870 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD (1TB) Disk 1: WD Blue 3.5" SATA HD (1TB) Disk 2: WD Blue 3.5" SATA HD (1TB) I have a dual-boot: Windows 10 Pro 20H2 on C:\ on Disk 0 Windows 7 Home on K:\ on Disk 2 If I delete partition F:\ on Disk 0 I can no longer boot the computer. The boot aborts with an error message. I did not write down the error description. I can't recreate the problem without making the computer unbootable again. The SSD is a clone of a hard drive it replaced. I had to clone the hard drive again to fix the problem. Note the original boot hard drive and the SSD were the only drives connected during the clone. Here is the output from Bcdedit Code: Windows Boot Manager -------------------- identifier {bootmgr} device partition=C: description Windows Boot Manager locale en-US inherit {globalsettings} default {current} resumeobject {19363769-d016-11ea-b5d8-d1b9305d2b11} displayorder {current} {96d29bee-2ed2-11ea-ac84-ce2c7f9f5214} toolsdisplayorder {memdiag} timeout 30 Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {current} device partition=C: path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe description Windows 10 locale en-US inherit {bootloadersettings} recoverysequence {51021239-cffd-11ea-acbb-85b8bb06dba4} displaymessageoverride Recovery recoveryenabled Yes testsigning No allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075 osdevice partition=C: systemroot \WINDOWS resumeobject {19363769-d016-11ea-b5d8-d1b9305d2b11} nx OptIn bootmenupolicy Standard useplatformclock Yes Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {96d29bee-2ed2-11ea-ac84-ce2c7f9f5214} device partition=K: path \Windows\system32\winload.exe description Windows 7 locale en-US inherit {bootloadersettings} recoverysequence {96d29bef-2ed2-11ea-ac84-ce2c7f9f5214} recoveryenabled Yes osdevice partition=K: systemroot \Windows resumeobject {96d29bed-2ed2-11ea-ac84-ce2c7f9f5214} nx OptIn

:)

MisterEd, May 4, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

The question still to be resolved is why is repartitioning the drive breaking the Windows 10 boot?

Fix Windows 10 boot via command line

Computer won't boot after deleting data partition [​IMG]

The computer boots again.

Extending C:\ partition to unallocated space

Boot is broken again

Fix Windows 10 boot via command line

Computer boots again

- - - Updated - - -

My whole purpose of doing this is to remove partitions D:, E:, and F: and just have one partition C: on the boot drive. Partitions D: and E: have programs installed on them so I can't just delete them. This is especially true for games because in the past I have had some of them no longer activate when reinstalled too many times.

My next step is to start uninstalling programs on the D: and E: partitions. Once done I can delete these partitions. I can then take the next step and extend C: to fill the whole drive. I can then reinstall the programs that were previously removed. The final step is to bring back the data from the deleted F: partition. This will restored from my external backup drive.

MisterEd, May 5, 2021
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Computer won't boot after deleting data partition partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, May 5, 2021
  4. MisterEd Win User

I deleted the F: partition. The computer rebooted OK.

I moved the D: and E: partitions into the new unallocated space. I then rebooted.

Now boot fails...

MisterEd, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Computer won't boot after deleting data partition - Similar Threads - Computer won't boot

2. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...
  3. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot after partition management: Hello, on Windows 10 I recently used "Resize-C/IM-Magic partition resizer" to move my C: drive partition to the left where there was about 500mb of unallocated space. To apply the change it required a reboot, I was then going to extend the partition through Disk Management...
  4. Windows won't boot after partition management

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Deleted a partition looking to recover it and the data with it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleted a partition looking to recover it and the data with it: i was setting up a ssd on my system, i had a spanned partition that at the time went across 2 hdd's, i changed my mind after extending the partition to the ssd and clicked delete without thinking, and now i've lost access to everything that was stored on those 2 hdd's, i have...
  6. Deleted a partition looking to recover it and the data with it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted a partition looking to recover it and the data with it: i was setting up a ssd on my system, i had a spanned partition that at the time went across 2 hdd's, i changed my mind after extending the partition to the ssd and clicked delete without thinking, and now i've lost access to everything that was stored on those 2 hdd's, i have...
  7. Deleted boot partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleted boot partition: 250GB NVme with the system - boot 2TB Nvme - data 8TB sata dynamic disc 2x 4TB sata ssd drives - slower data. This drive was getting full so I got 2 14TB sata drives to create Raid 1 backup When I added the drives and got in to motherboard Raid Array configuration new...
  8. Boot to windows after a linux deleted partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot to windows after a linux deleted partition: Can you help me with my Windows 10 boot. I had a dual boot system with windows 10 and Ubuntu partitions. My computer was running extremely slow in windows so I deleted the Ubuntu partition. Unfortunately I can now no longer boot into anything as my computer diverts to Grub....
  9. Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot Boot After Deleting Ubuntu Partition: I used to work on my PC which had a C Drive (partitioned with Windows and Ubuntu) alongside an E drive for other storage. I deleted the Ubuntu partition and after rebooting the system, it told me that there was a grub error - 'Error: no such partition". After looking up what...
  10. Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows won't boot in UEFI mode, deleted EFI partition.: Okay, so the other week i received a new Clevo P650SE laptop. The laptop only had a 500GB 7200RPM HDD with Windows 10 to begin with, so yesterday i added my Samsung 840 EVO SSD. As i wanted this to now be the primary drive, i made another new installation of Windows onto...