Windows 10: Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives

Discus and support Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two portable hard drives that were working fine a few days ago, recently I tried to plug them in and nothing shows up in files. When I go to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by t b help, Mar 4, 2024.

1. t b help Win User

Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives

I have two portable hard drives that were working fine a few days ago, recently I tried to plug them in and nothing shows up in files. When I go to eject it shows eject portable. I believe it is something with my laptop and not my drive as a regular USB pops up fine but these do not.I have tried resetting my laptop and a few of the common "fixes" for when a hard drive issue like this pops up but nothing seems to be working.When I tried having a diagnostics run, it said the problem was fixed for "Windows Update Configured to never install drivers", I am not very tech savvy and am unsure what th

:)

t b help, Mar 4, 2024
  2. Pozzie Win User

Folder contents disappear from portable hard drive

Hi

I am transferring files from a couple of computers (-all WIN 10, 1803 build) to a portable NTFS hard drive. I have regularly done this before, so its not new and I have not had issues.

But on 2 recent occasions, after a cut and paste from an internal computer hard drive, a duplicate folder has appeared in the hard portable drive, and the contents of the original folder on that portable hard drive have disappeared: the message is the "folder
    is empty". However, when I right click and open "properties" of that original folder, the number of files and the data is definitely not zero and is comparable to all of the prior contents.

I have read up about NTFS folder/file ownership and permissions and have re-assigned both in case I had stuffed this up at another time (The files were coming from different 'owners'). But no help: I cannot access nor even list the missing files.

I have run anti-virus : no issues.

Any suggestions to recover these files would be much appreciated.

Pozzie, Mar 4, 2024
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Portable hard drive and windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with connecting
    portable hard drive in Windows 10.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, I would need more information from your end.

• Is the hard drive getting detected on the computer?

• Do you face any issue while using other USB devices?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Missing Windows Update.

2. USB port is damaged.

3. Damaged hardware.

Try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run hardware troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows Key.

b) Type Troubleshooting in the search box and hit
    Enter.

c) Click on Hardware and sound.

d) Click on Hardware and device and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to install all the available Windows Updates and also latest chipset driver from the computer manufacturer website. You may also try connecting the hard drive to a different USB port.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Mar 4, 2024
  4. btarunr Win User

Toshiba Introduces New Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drives

In an exceptional blend of data protection, portability and simplicity, Toshiba has unveiled the newest addition to its Canvio line of portable hard drive solutions – the Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drive family for the PC. Developed with ultimate usability in mind for the everyday consumer, the Canvio Basics requires only a single step to start saving and transporting important files: Plug it in. With no necessary software to install and available with 320 gigabytes (GB1), 500GB, or 750GB of storage space, the Canvio Basics offers a hassle-free, high capacity storage solution right out of the box.

“With the Canvio Basics line, we wanted to bring an effortless digital storage solution to the masses,” said Manuel Camarena, product manager for consumer storage at Toshiba Storage Device Division. “This new drive offers a sleek solution with plenty of storage capacity for the growing amount of digital content, from photos and videos to music and documents. The Canvio Basics is a convenient and versatile choice for anyone who needs the peace of mind that comes with high capacity portable external storage.”

Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives 137a_thm.jpg

The Canvio Basics’ one plug ease-of-use is complemented by the drive’s stylish design, courtesy of a glossy black finish and soft, rounded edges. Despite its light weight and diminutive size, the Canvio Basics hits above its weight when it comes to keeping files safe. An Internal Shock Sensor, Ramp Loading Technology, and a three year Limited Warranty combine for added peace of mind whether going from the dorm to the lecture hall, the home office to the conference room, or wherever else the Canvio Basics is needed.

Beyond its technical capabilities, the practicality of the Canvio Basics design is evident in the drive’s pocket-sized form factor, which not only makes it easy to carry, but also conforms to Toshiba’s environmental efforts to reduce the quantity of materials used in production. In addition, the Canvio Basics’ packaging is made from 100 percent recyclable materials.

Toshiba’s Canvio Basics Portable Hard Drives and the complete lineup of Canvio Portable Hard Drives can be found at major retailers and online outlets. For a full list of retailers, please visit this page. Suggested retail prices (USD) by capacities are:
    • $79.99 for the 320GB Canvio Basics
    • $99.99 for the 500GB Canvio Basics
    • $119.99 for the 750GB Canvio Basics

btarunr, Mar 4, 2024
Thema:

1. Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives - Similar Threads - Computer won't pop

2. Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives: I have two portable hard drives that were working fine a few days ago, recently I tried to plug them in and nothing shows up in files. When I go to eject it shows eject portable. I believe it is something with my laptop and not my drive as a regular USB pops up fine but these...
  3. Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't pop up files for any portable hard drives: I have two portable hard drives that were working fine a few days ago, recently I tried to plug them in and nothing shows up in files. When I go to eject it shows eject portable. I believe it is something with my laptop and not my drive as a regular USB pops up fine but these...
  4. Portable hard drive and accessing files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive and accessing files: I have located my portable hard drive on my laptop Windows 10, but I'm struggling to locate the files. I've tried the "hidden files" option but all I see is my hard drive icon. Can anyone help me to view the files? Thanks...
  5. Portable hard drive

Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  6. Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer

Portable Hard Drive Not Appearing In File Explorer: Hi! I'm having an issue where my Portable Hard Drive Brand is Seagate to be exact will only appear in device manager. I believe this had happened when I formatted for Xbox back in ~October 2019 and uninstalled a game off it later on. I don't know how to reformat this and...
  7. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  8. Portable hard disk drive won't show up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Portable hard disk drive won't show up in file explorer: Hello I have a Dell portable hdd that has segate ST1000LM024 HDD but it won't open in file explorer but I opened it It works fine the lights are on and there is sound of the cd inside the hdd running....
  9. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...
  10. No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.

No window pops up when I plug in my USB portable hard or flash drive.: When I plug in my USB flash drive or portable hard drive I don't get a window that pops up. Both drives will make a sound and show up in ThisPC so I have to go there to use them. Is there any way to fix this? 54378