Windows 10: Computer won't reboot after defragmentation

Discus and support Computer won't reboot after defragmentation in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. I have a computer which has Windows 10 on it (this was free upgraded from Windows 8 installed). I recently did a Windows defragmentation on it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by CZT, Oct 15, 2016.

1. CZT
    CZT Win User

Computer won't reboot after defragmentation

Hi. I have a computer which has Windows 10 on it (this was free upgraded from Windows 8 installed). I recently did a Windows defragmentation on it and the computer said it had to restart to finalise which I did. However, it wouldn't shut down, so I switched it off by holding the off switch down. Now on starting the computer it comes on with the Orion sign on the screen but the little wheel (dots going round and round) to say it is thinking and getting ready to go to the mainscreen just keeps going round and round and doesn't boot. What has happened, and how can I fix this? *Sad

:)

2. Query about Disk Fragmentation on Windows 10 computer

Hello Leroy,

We realize your concern in this regard.

Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer. Removable storage devices such as USB flash drives can also become fragmented. Disk Defragmenter in Windows rearranges fragmented data so your disks and drives can work
    more efficiently. Disk Defragmenter runs on a schedule, but you can also analyze and defragment your disks and drives manually.

In view of the same, doing defragmentation of the disk on a weekly basis won't cause any issues. So, I suggest you to keeping initiating the defragmentation process on regular basis for best results.

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 15, 2016
  3. M BERNARD Win User
    Windows key does not function

WITH WINDOWS 10, WINDOWS KEY WON'T WORK TO GET TO MY START PAGE. AFTER USING MY COMPUTER FOR A WHILE. IF I REBOOT, THEN IT WORKS, THEN AFTER A WHILE IT DOESN'T WORK AGAIN.

Original Title:WITH WINDOWS 10, WINDOWS KEY WON'T WORK AFTER USING MY COMPUTER FOR A WHILE. IF I REBOOT, THEN IT WORKS.

M BERNARD, Oct 15, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

This sounds like it may be a failed update which required a restart - maybe. The precise error message might help to distinguish that.

Can you boot the system from a Win 10 install medium? (free to download/burn/create)- Microsoft media creator

If you had System Restore enabled you might be able to use a restore point via your boot disk (Repair your computer).

Have you been using system imaging or disk imaging? We repeatedly recommend this, as this means you can restore your PC to a previous working state usually without help and make it easy to get out of difficult situations.

dalchina, Oct 15, 2016
  5. CZT
    CZT Win User
    Thanks Dalchina for your reply. Issue is now resolved.

6. dalchina New Member
    Thanks for letting us know.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer won't reboot after defragmentation - Similar Threads - Computer won't reboot

2. Computer won't run after reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't run after reboot: My computer is older but whenever I have to restart it like if the electricity goes out or I have to download an update it always takes hours to turn back on. This most recent time it rebooted at 4:00 the night before and it still won't turn on. My computer is running but...
  3. Computer won't run after reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer won't run after reboot: My computer is older but whenever I have to restart it like if the electricity goes out or I have to download an update it always takes hours to turn back on. This most recent time it rebooted at 4:00 the night before and it still won't turn on. My computer is running but...
  4. Computer won't run after reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  6. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Defragmentation: I would like to check my hard drive for Defragmentation. How would I go about doing that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/02375801-2bf1-4b07-8868-e19461a73fbd
  7. Defragmenter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Defragmenter: Since doing the Windows 10 May 2020 update last week my Disk Defragmenter /Optimiser shows not run. I have run the optimiser which seems to work OK but when I next reboot it shows not run ! I have performed a Scannow scan unsure what to try next any feedback would be...
  8. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defragmentation: My pc is not completing the defragmentation windows pop up and message saying I am not in Administrator A/c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defragmentation/19327b67-a672-4ead-9ec0-eed5edf6ffa1
  9. Defragmentation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Defragmentation: My D folder (system folder) is showing 100% fragmented. I have run multiple times disk defragmentation, analyze and optimize but it remains unchanged. It would really be nice if any suggestion could solve this problem. TiA....
  10. Disk Defragmenter Won't Open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Defragmenter Won't Open: Dear Sir or Madams, How to fix error of when i click to open disk defragmenter on windows 10 64bit and nothing happen,i means disk defragmenter application not openup. so Please Advice Me Sir, or Madams!!!!!! Thanks,Slom Monster...