Windows 10: Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots

Discus and support Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I ran the system update yesterday March 5, 2019 on my ASUS laptop. Originally it was running on Windows 8.1 but has been running happily on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by No Quibbles, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots

Hi

I ran the system update yesterday March 5, 2019 on my ASUS laptop. Originally it was running on Windows 8.1 but has been running happily on Windows 10 for over a year. With yesterday's update it won't restart. I let it run for a couple of hours yesterday when it was doing the update and manually shut it down a couple of times after that to see if I can get it to work. I let the rotating circle of dots run over night and then turned the laptop off an on this morning - still no joy.

Can you assist?

thanks

:)

No Quibbles, Mar 5, 2019
  2. MikeVan80 Win User

Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots

I have a 5 year old Dell desktop PC. All the drivers are up to date. It was originally running Windows 8.1 and updated to Windows 10 over a year ago. All updates have been installed since then. This restart problem started after I installed the Windows
    10 Anniversary Update.

Since Windows 10 only does automatic updates it also TRIES to restart after the updates are complete. It shows the Dell logo and will stall at the Windows rotating circle of dots screen, with the circle of dots running in the center bottom of the black screen,
    there is no disk drive activity except an occasional brief flash of the drive light. It will stay there for hours.

In frustration I pushed and held the physical power button, in violation of all warnings, since I couldn't access the Windows/Start virtual power button, wait about 30 seconds and power up again. Sometimes I have to repeat the sequence (off-wait-on) three or
    four times in a row but eventually it boots normally and presents the Windows log-on screen. I get sweaty palms every time I see an update thinking that one of these times it is going to die.

No error codes. High speed wired versus wireless Internet connection, running Norton Antivirus, plenty of physical memory.

The PC has a 300 GB disk that is less than half full, all packaged or downloaded standard software, nothing out of the ordinary, no modifications, no viruses, no warnings. In between updates the computer runs normally, boots and shutdowns OK. I have tried
    to manually restart and the same thing happens – stalls at the dreaded rotating circle of dots.

Version 1607 build 14393.1198

How can I get it to restart after an update?

Any help appreciated....

MikeVan80, Mar 5, 2019
  3. Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots

I have let the computer sit overnight - 8+ hours - after the update has tried to restart and stalled and the rotating circle of dots is still there unchanged the next morning. I don't think it is a matter
    of waiting - I watch/listen to the hard drive and initially it churns and seems to be busy. When it stops I do the off-wait-on cycle (sometimes 3 or 4 times) which has worked every time so far. When Windows is running normally I manually select Restart from
    the Start menu, even though there is no update in progress or pending, it also stalls in the same manner.

The computer will Shutdown with no fault and power up using the manual power button every day.

Can you tell me when you're doing the hard power off? Are you waiting on the circle black screen for a certain amount of time before powering off?

LukasStrautins, Mar 5, 2019
  4. MikeVan80 Win User

Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots

I have let the computer sit overnight - 8+ hours - after the update has tried to restart and stalled and the rotating circle of dots is still there unchanged the next morning. I don't think it is a matter
    of waiting - I watch/listen to the hard drive and initially it churns and seems to be busy. When it stops I do the off-wait-on cycle (sometimes 3 or 4 times) which has worked every time so far. When Windows is running normally I manually select Restart from
    the Start menu, even though there is no update in progress or pending, it also stalls in the same manner.

The computer will Shutdown with no fault and power up using the manual power button every day.

MikeVan80, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Computer won't restart after updates in Windows 10, stalls at rotating circle of dots - Similar Threads - Computer won't restart

2. Stuck On Restarting With Dots Circling

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck On Restarting With Dots Circling: I bought a new laptop, but it was defective. So I decided to return the laptop since it had all of my information; I had to restart without backing my files. The percentage of the restart was fine. The problem is that the laptop screen has been stuck on restarting with the...
  3. Windows won't start. Spinning circle dots now showing.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows won't start. Spinning circle dots now showing.: Hi guys. I have very old laptop without battery. When I turn it on, Windows won't start. After the usual BIOS messages appear, a spinning circle of dots not showing on a black screen with the "Windows" logo. I watched few of videos about this sitiuation, all of them won't...
  4. Windows 10 stuck on blue screen with rotating dots

Windows 10 stuck on blue screen with rotating dots: When I turned on my computer today, I first received a black screen with the windows icon and the following message: "Fixing C: Stage ___, Total ____ %, ETA____". After that I was redirected to a blue screen with the white rotating dots, and have since been stuck on that...
  5. Stuck in rotating circle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck in rotating circle: I have a gaming PC that I bought 4-6 years ago with my friend helping me build it (lack of pc knowledge) it runs fine 3 days when I was applying thermal paste on my processor, everytime I turn on the PC it would beep once and then turned off (I solve it by realizing that the...
  6. Black Screen with circling Dots

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen with circling Dots: I have been having trouble with windows 10. One of the articles suggested to hold down the start button 3 times and start the PC 3 times. I did and the screen started going through stages of fixing. The Screen went black with the circling dots for the last 6 hours or so. I...
  7. Win10 stalling before login after spinning circle

Win10 stalling before login after spinning circle: Win10 stalls after the spinning circle.i have made attempts using community help, but nothing has worked. Difficulty i only have an ipad and a mac to work with. I tried to dl the win10 iso, but it wont fit on a 16gb thumb drive, iso dld using mac i recently installed the aug...
  8. Computer won't restart after latest update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer won't restart after latest update: After the Sept 11 "critical update", my computer wouldn't restart. It would run the hardware diagnostics, which showed nothing, and then would recycle again and again to "repair". I had to revert the system to the last restore point a few days ago to regain access to my...
  9. Win10 won't load - It stalls at the dots circling animation

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10 won't load - It stalls at the dots circling animation: It loads only enough to show its dots-going-around animation, but then it never goes past that. And that's whether I have called it from the rEFInd loader or from the Live USB Installer drive. I decided to try again and wait longer on the Live USB Installer drive this time....
  10. Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Help with machine stuck on update with rotating dots: I have been using win 10 for quite a long time and am happy with it. This evening when I was opening up a word document it behaved strangely . I could shut it down but after that everything stopped working. Ctrl alt delete wont respond. I had to shut down the computer using...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 wont restart after update

2. windows 10 wont restart to update

3. computer wont restart windows 10

4. windows update restart circle dots ,
  5. wont restart after update windows 10,
  6. windows 10 restart after update stalls,
  7. w10 dont run dots circle,
  8. windows wont restart after update,
  9. computer wont restart on windows 10,
  10. May 2019 windows update has left black screen with rotating circle,
  11. windows 10 restart lockup rotating dots