Windows 10: Computer wont startup

Discus and support Computer wont startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was copying a cd to a flash drive when the screen did this. [img] It was flickering back and forth when this happened. I captured the pic with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Winuser, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Winuser Win User

Computer wont startup

I was copying a cd to a flash drive when the screen did this.

Computer wont startup [​IMG]

It was flickering back and forth when this happened. I captured the pic with my phone. When I tried to restart the computer the fan would start then shut right off repeatedly. I was hoping it was the power supply so I replaced it. It still did the same thing. Then I tried disconnecting all the SSD's(3) and every thing that was hooked to the computer except the monitor with the same results. Next I tried removing the CMOS battery to clear the settings. Now the fans will run but the computer will not boot. I don't even get a beep. I tried removing one memory stick at a time and still no boot or any beeps. If I remove both memory sticks I get a beep. Could this be a memory problem or did my HP Envy die? I don't have any memory sticks to try. What really makes this even worse is that this is my dual boot Windows 10 RTM Pro & Insider Pro computer. If I have to replace this computer is there any chance of my saving my Windows 10 Insider Pro Build?

:)

Winuser, Dec 9, 2016
  2. StixxBman Win User

Window's 10 Bootable disk creation

thank you, but what if i wish to keep everything i have and its a simple "my computer wont boot up or unlock" is there anything that can be put on a CD burnable disk (more reliable than USB) to force the computer to boot past any passwords or locks cause
    the computer itself wont allow startup cause of some glitch with a password/boot sequence?

StixxBman, Dec 9, 2016
  3. DPC Watchdog Violation

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite s70t-B

Note i uninstalled that one and computer wont start properly after rebooting.

I chose option to startup and fix and its attempting repair

Guess computer didnt like when i uninstalled it

HeLPnEEdeD_145, Dec 9, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Computer wont startup

This is more then likely a video card problem. Do you have a separate video card, or are you plugging your monitor into the Blue VGA port on the back of the computer?
    If a card, try removing it, cleaning the connecting edge, blowing out the dust in the slot and re-seating it.
    If you have the choice of a Video card or the VGA, remove the card and use the onboard VGA.

spunk, Dec 9, 2016
  5. Winuser Win User
    I'm using the onboard video card. I did try a video card from another computer but it won't even boot to the bios so I can disable the onboard video. Something similar to this happened before. I had to replace the power supply and switch to the onboard video. I would like to try different memory sticks only the ones I have wont fit. The one thing I don't want to do is lose my Insider Pro build. Every thing else I can reinstall. I did make Macrium images a day before the new Insider Build was released so I have all my files. I was looking on the Micro Center web site and I didn't really see anything I like in my price range. Being a HP Envy I don't know if I can find a motherboard that would fit.

Winuser, Dec 9, 2016
  6. spunk Win User
    When you install a Video Card, it automatically disables the onboard VGA, you shouldn't have to disable it in the Bios.
    The fact that you are not getting a POST Beep means there is a hardware problem.
    If you have removed all Data cables for all drives from the motherboard end and removed all but one stick of RAM and the computer won't boot to the Bios then it is either the Motherboard or CPU.
    You can reset the CMOS by shutting down the computer, pulling the power plug, pressing the power button to release any stored power. Removing the Jumper pin on the motherboard called CMOS+PW, wait 5 seconds and replace the jumper, plug everything in and see if you can boot to the Bios and set it to Default.

spunk, Dec 9, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    After playing with it I managed to get it to boot. I went to Walmart and when I came back I reinstalled the video card and left everything else unhooked. When I started the computer this time I kept getting 6 beeps which according to HP is the video card. Then I shut it down and removed the video card and plugged the monitor back into the onboard video and this time I got the menu about no boot device. I shut it down hooked everything back up and only got the fans running again. To shorten my story what I finally tried was tapping lightly on the CPU cooler and I was able to get back into the bios and change some of the settings. Right now it's running with one SSD booted into my Windows 10 Pro RTM. Here are some questions I have.
    1. On a Intel I5 CPU is the onboard video a part of the CPU?
    2. Is it Possible I just need to remove the CPU and clean it or should I buy a new CPU? Tapping on the cooler got me thinking.
    3.Would buying a new Video card work if the onboard video is bad? The video card I tried may be bad. It's been in a old computer setting in a shed that isn't climate controlled. The only computer I can try it on is on my new HP Pavilion and I'm not going to chance frying it.
    If I had some thermal paste I would try cleaning and reseating the CPU tonight. I really like this computer and after looking at some of the desktop computers at Micro Center there was nothing that I saw that would make a good replacement in my price range. Most of them had a laptop DVD drive and no room for my three SSD's. A couple of them didn't even have a wireless card.

Winuser, Dec 10, 2016
  8. Winuser Win User

Computer wont startup

I now have everything plugged in and I'm on my Insider build. I don't know if the tapping on the CPU cooler is what worked or I just got lucky. I'm not going to mark this as solved for awhile. I'm still open to suggestions in case this happens again. This is the second time I had this trouble. I don't remember if I had the video flicker like that before. I did have a video problem and the start and stop problem. I do remember I had to remove my video card so I could use the on board video plus I had to replace the power supply. What my thought then was that the power supply fried the video card.

Winuser, Dec 10, 2016
  9. spunk Win User
    I would remove Heat Sync and clean off the thermal paste, re-seat processor, reapply fresh paste. I think there is an issue with your Video card, so rather then buy a new computer, I would replace the Video card.

spunk, Dec 10, 2016
  10. Winuser Win User
    I'm going to try cleaning the CPU and heat sink and see what happens. I need to get some thermal paste first though. I'm hoping that my local Electronics/Radio Shack store sells it. If not I'll have to try Staples or Best Buy. I did try using a video card from a old computer and that didn't help. I don't remember in detail but I did have a similar problem like this before. What I had to do to fix it was go back to the on board video and replace the power supply.

Edit: Forgot to add that I already have a new computer. I bought it the last time I had this problem. I didn't want to give up on this computer so I kept messing around with it. Finally I found out that the video card and the power supply was bad. A new power supply and going back to the on board video got it back up and running. I prefer this old HP Envy 700-074 desktop over my new HP Pavilion. *Smile

Winuser, Dec 12, 2016
  11. Winuser Win User
    I think I'm going to have to buy a new computer. Now when it comes out of sleep I get a message that something happened and it's collecting info and going to restart. My wireless mouse isn't responding the way it should. This happens on the RTM build and my Insider build. I have a local shop that is working on a price to build me a desktop. I don't like any of the OEM builds I priced.

Winuser, Dec 14, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    My desktop finally died today. Now when I turn it on only the fans run. I don't even get a beep when I remove the memory. I'm pricing a custom built computer at a local shop.

Winuser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer wont startup

1. Computer wont startup - Similar Threads - Computer wont startup

2. Windows 10 wont startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 wont startup: I am pretty new to pc, so when I saw that my radeon software was unistalled I was confused so I reinstalled it, something messed up, so I unistalled it and reinstalled again, windows couldnt verify the user, so I had to unistall and reinstall agains but the third time, I had...
  3. startup shortcut wont run

in Windows 10 Support
    startup shortcut wont run: win 10 v1909 I copied a shortcut for realtemp to both all users & my startup folder & it wont run on bootup. I know its possible cause I have coretemp in there & it runs. 178398
  4. Computer Startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Startup: For some time now, actually it's been months, my PC would wake up from sleep mode even after I set it to powerbutton-only activation. Moreover this keeps happening without an apparent pattern. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? submitted by /u/Keon20p4 [link]...
  5. Windows wont load upon startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows wont load upon startup: Hi all hope someone can help. PROBLEM: I reset my Lenovo B50 all in one desktop it was running Windows 10 and its 5 years old and sluggish as hell so I thought I would start a fresh took all my personal docs off onto a external hard drive. Reset looked like it worked...
  6. Laptop wont startup after changing startup mode to safe

Laptop wont startup after changing startup mode to safe: After being paranoid about viruses I went into the startup settings and changed the mode to safe startup, now whenever I try try to power on the laptop it shows the dell logo then the screen goes black. The screen isnt off, just black. None of the F buttons or the escape...
  7. Explorer.exe wont start at startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer.exe wont start at startup: this has been going for a many months now and it’s getting annoying. I tried advanced system care and said it can fix it but it did not. submitted by /u/shot785 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5bi99/explorerexe_wont_start_at_startup/
  8. Computer wont boot

Computer wont boot: My computer seems to have died. An info message says: The Boot Configuration data for your PC is missing or contains errors The message also gave me instructions to create a Windows Installation Disc, restart the computer, and click "repair your computer". I did this...
  9. Computer Startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Startup: Hello, When we first turn our HP Desktop, it goes to black screen with spinning dots and wont go any further. I've done the system restores and it wont do it. It gives me an error code. Source: AppxStaging Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps An unspecified error...
  10. Startup diagnostic loop. Wont finish and restarting wont work

Startup diagnostic loop. Wont finish and restarting wont work: I have been dealing with this all day. No progress. I have tried turning it on and off again, I tried reseting, one try keeping my files and one try deleting them, neither working. I tried finding posts and videos that might help, and I cant even get to the first step. I...