Windows 10: Computer won't wake up from sleep

Discus and support Computer won't wake up from sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I understand, but I'm referring to hot-keys that are independent of the OS. Typically on a laptop there's a function key which switches the function of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nights, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Computer won't wake up from sleep

Tried that too, don't have PC in front of me but think it's Fn+F4. Can try again, may be mis reading the correct icon on F-key.

paulcstone, Oct 15, 2015
  2. gerrard23 Win User

I've had the same experience, although i think its more being let down by Samsung than Microsoft. the Windows 10 free upgrade asserts that my samsung laptop is compatible, and the Samsung website agrees, offering upgrade advice and firmware. So I upgraded in July/Aug, and win10 is definitely superior, but had to restore back to Win7 due to the time it takes to constantly reboot to get back up and running from sleep. I keep checking periodically but neith MS nor Samsung appear to be addressing this. Will stick with Win7 until the laptop wears out and consider my options then. Might have to be a new IPAD with keyboard!

gerrard23, Nov 14, 2015
  3. GeorgeT Win User
    Well I'm starting again, however this I have tried for about a week and seems to be the only thing that works. In Power Options I made it to Never (Screen), Never (sleep). However, I can manually put my computer to sleep and it works great, wakes up, etc., but any other way (power option) it just freezes. I have not tried the Ctrl-Alt-Del yet to restart from a freeze; however, on my machine it is Ctrl-Alt-Del then Tab 7 times followed by enter, then down three for restart.

GeorgeT, Nov 25, 2015
  4. ogia Win User

Computer won't wake up from sleep

paulcstone - THANK YOU for this helpful post. I am also having this problem and nothing seems to work until I followed your advice.

In my case, I'm on Windows 8 with an ASUS laptop. I've always had trouble waking it from sleep and a couple of months ago I changed some settings about waking it up and it mostly took care of the issue until this past week.

I also noticed if I close the lid on my laptop and leave it unplugged for a while, I am just asking for trouble when I try to turn it on again. I did this the other day, and ever since then it has taken me 15-20 minutes to get the laptop to turn on. (I hold the power key down for varying times until I get lucky - sometimes it turns back on, other times it reboots.)

So yesterday, every single time I tried to wake up my laptop I had the problem. Last night, I couldn't get it to reboot at all UNTIL I found this post. I laughed as I did CTRL+ALT+DELETE and followed the keystrokes you described. But the next thing I knew, my laptop had rebooted and I was back in! I went to turn on my laptop again this morning and it wasn't working. Tried your steps again and - BOOM! - back in. You are the first person I have seen that figured out that it is the screen that isn't turning on. It makes total sense. My laptop lights up and the computer "dings" like it's awake but I just can't see it because the screen is lighted, but blank.

What I hate most is that I'm a multi-tasker so I have lots of tabs and programs open and I lose everything if I leave my laptop and have to reboot.

5. ogia Win User
    I have a function key to toggle the video output (for me it's fn+F8). I made a point to remember what strokes would be required if I couldn't see the screen. I tried that today and the computer "dinged" like it accepted the setting but I still couldn't see the screen.

6. This to sounds like a power plan config issue as well as network wake on lan issue. There are many combinations of solutions that will eventually fix the problem. There are many users here that have experienced this problem and have settled on some combination of fixes that worked for them. I can say from my experience it happens almost always when MS performs a magnificent update of their OS. Please search the forum for solution.

lopedoggie, Dec 5, 2015
  7. ogia Win User
    I actually checked to see if any new updates had been performed. I have automatic updates turned off. This laptop has been giving me trouble since I bought it in Sept but this week has been the worst and it was after I had closed my laptop and left it unplugged overnight. Battery was still alive in the morning, but I couldn't get it to wake up (turns out it's just the screen that won't wake up...)

8. Computer won't wake up from sleep

RAM(virtual memory) settings have some part to play in this. Thinking too small of a setting may upset the ability to return computer(wake from sleep) to last known state.

lopedoggie, Dec 6, 2015
  9. rcooke78 Win User
    So I created an account just to answer this, and hopefully this easy solution will help a few of you out. I was having the same problem with Windows 7, sometimes when I would put my asus laptop to sleep and try to wake it up later, only the cpu would wake up, but not the monitor. At the time I would close and reopen the lid and the screen would come on, and it was a tad annoying but tolerable. Once I upgraded to Windows 10 it was all the time, sleep but no screen wake up, and closing and opening the lid did nothing at all. I had to shut it down completely and boot back up. I don't like to leave my computer running non-stop, and I came here and saw many others with the same problem.

I tried an easy solution, and it works fine. I changed the power settings to hibernate the computer when I press the power button, and so when I press the power button again, it wakes from hibernation quickly, and the screen comes on with it. I know some here just maybe want to turn the screen off, and on a laptop you already have a function key for that. But I don't want to be using electricity all day with my computer running with the screen off. Sometimes the running cpu actually affects my antenna tv, a couple channels, but now that I can hibernate and wake it quickly and easily, I've solved all my problems.

I hope this helps. It's an older asus, a42jz, and I just timed it, 20 seconds to wake up from hibernation. I'm perfectly okay with that.

rcooke78, Jan 10, 2016
  10. montoban Win User
    Hello,
    Not a computer whiz but I had the same problem. Computer wouldn't wake up. Black monitor screen, sometimes would flash once. Could get computer to turn on sometimes with after turning power button on and off. Tried all the suggestions. Finally, replaced the monitor with an old one I had. Viola. Problem was the monitor all the time. Computer was waking up fine. Sometimes it's something simple. Check all the hardware, too. Learned my lesson, believe the little blinking LED lights. Thanks.
    I have a desk top.

montoban, Jan 17, 2016
  11. Glad this helped. I'm still working w my band aid solution, which is disabling anything happening when cover is closed, and either manually putting laptop to sleep or shutting down when not in use.

paulcstone, Jan 17, 2016
  12. Try changing the hard disk sleep time to never

SNIPEDGHOST, Feb 24, 2016
  13. Computer won't wake up from sleep

Hard disk sleep didn't work so trying hybrid on in sleep

SNIPEDGHOST, Feb 25, 2016
  14. turn on the hybrid works for me

SNIPEDGHOST, Feb 25, 2016
  15. Saiyan90 Win User
    I have this problem. When the computer stays suspended for too long it then won't wake up by simply pressing on the mouse and have to click on the laptop's power on button.

This didn't used to be an issue before but after reinstalling Windows 10 fresh is. Aside this, it works perfectly.

Saiyan90, Mar 3, 2016
Thema:

Computer won't wake up from sleep

1. Computer won't wake up from sleep - Similar Threads - Computer won't wake

2. Computer won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't wake up from sleep: My PC won't wake up from sleep using my mouse; my mouse just turns on for 2 seconds then turns off again. If I use the power button it goes into a loop of being on for 10 seconds then being off for 10 seconds then back on etc. I just have to press the power button for 5...
  3. Computer won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't wake up from sleep: My PC won't wake up from sleep using my mouse; my mouse just turns on for 2 seconds then turns off again. If I use the power button it goes into a loop of being on for 10 seconds then being off for 10 seconds then back on etc. I just have to press the power button for 5...
  4. Computer won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Mouse won't wake up computer from sleep.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse won't wake up computer from sleep.: When my computer goes to sleep, power light is blinking on the computer so perhaps it's deep sleep, moving the USB attached mouse does not wake it up. Allow mouse to wake is enabled: [img] This used to work, even with 2004 but somewhere with one of their updates it...
  6. Mouse won't wake up computer from sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse won't wake up computer from sleep.: When my computer goes to sleep, power light is blinking on the computer so perhaps it's deep sleep, moving the USB attached mouse does not wake it up. Allow mouse to wake is enabled: [img] This used to work, even with 2004 but somewhere with one of their updates it...
  7. Computer won't wake from Sleep.

Computer won't wake from Sleep.: My computer won't wake from sleep. It is a clean install of windows Ver 1909 Build 18363.836. I have reinstalled several times. When I move the mouse or use the keyboard the power light stop blinking comes on steady, the fans start up, it checks the DVD player, the activity...
  8. Computer Won't Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer Won't Wake from Sleep: Hiya, Recently, my PC won't awaken from being asleep. When it's asleep and I press the power button, the fans all spin up (sounds like max rpm), but no display. This means I have to hold the power button to restart it. I have tried updating all the drivers but to no avail -...
  9. Computer will not wake up from "sleep"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer will not wake up from "sleep": I built my own PC, and although all advanced power settings are set to never sleep (including never turn off hard disk), it frequently freezes and will not wake up. It sends a buzzing to my Focusrite 2i2 powered speakers, which is what happens normally when the machine is...
  10. Computer Waking Up From Sleep

Computer Waking Up From Sleep: [ATTACH]I recently built my new gaming rig and I usually set my power and sleep settings to sleep after 2 hours of idle. I realized when it goes to "sleep" It actually turns off but still responds to a press of a key and saves the session. When it turns on it goes through the...