Windows 10: Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates.

Discus and support Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Since summer last year, we have issues with every cumulative update from Microsoft. The update stops around 10% of our laptops and tablets. We have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DominikErdle, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates.

Since summer last year, we have issues with every cumulative update from Microsoft. The update stops around 10% of our laptops and tablets.

We have the issue on Lenovo T480, T470, T470s, T460, T460s and on Dell tablets. This issue does not affect our desktop PC’s.

After the cumulative update, the laptop stops to boot. We experience two different versions of this issue.
    1. Laptops get stuck on a black screen with the small loading circle on the bottom, it doesn’t finish loading to display the Windows login screen. It does not freeze, but even after more than 30 minutes, it does not change.
    2. Laptop is displaying the troubleshoot menu after three failed boot attempts.

In both versions, Windows Startup repair is not able to fix the issue. We found out that if we boot up the system in Windows safe mode and keep it in the safe mode login screen for 5-10 Minutes the laptop is able to boot normally without any issue. Sometimes you can see Windows rolling back the update in safe mode before it shows the login screen.

Either after the workaround the update is installed, or we are able to install the update without any issue until MS releases the next Cumulative Update for windows.

All the systems are installed with the same custom image, but they have different Windows build versions on them (1603 up to 1803). All other Windows Updates are up to date.
    We already tried to update the Intel ME Firmware, as it looked like laptops in our test group with newer versions had fewer issues. However, this did not help us with a bigger rollout.

It doesn’t matter if we deploy the update using our WSUS or download it from Microsoft online. The first time we saw this issue was in summer 2018 and since then, we can reproduce this issue with every cumulative Update for windows.

It seems as though systems that had the problem on an earlier cumulative update are more likely to have be affected after the next cumulative update. However, there are also some systems, which only had the problem once.

Does anyone else has the same issue? If yes how do you avoid that?

***Title modified from: cumulative update -> boot problem on Lenovo and Dell devices***

:)

DominikErdle, Feb 12, 2019

2. windows update stuck at installation screen and cannot get to desktop

Hi Sue,

To understand the issue better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Is the computer stuck in the Installing updates screen?
    • For how long is the computer stuck in the screen?
    • When was the computer last updated?
    • Is the screen showing any percentage of installation?

Sometimes the installation might take a long time to install if the update is of large size. So, I suggest you to wait for sometime and check if the system boots to the desktop. If it is taking a longer time, then perform a Power Drain by following the steps
    provided below:

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Thank you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Hendry Win User
    Windows 10 stuck at black screen

hi, i tried upgrading my windows 7, but failed 5 times.
    step 1 on copying files are 100%
    step 2 installing features n updates are 100%
    step 3 FAILED, it stuck on black screen and freeze, nothing i can do besides force restart and its restored to my windows 7 back.

any idea how to solve this? it's always stuck at 75% step 2 and when go to step 3 is freeze ( 5 times in row, i'm thinking give up or buy new laptop with windows 10*Biggrin*Biggrin*Biggrin)

p.s i'm currently downloading ISO file to blank DVD hopefully it's worksComputers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates. :)

Hendry, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates.

Black Screen During Driver Update Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates. :(

I reinstalled my laptop back to factory settings, and I wanted to update the GPU drivers. But when I try, the screen turns black during the update, but the computer is still running. I was forced to turn off the computer and turn it back on. I used system restore, so now I'm using the default drivers that came with the laptop. Can you guys suggest anything?

mrpubnoobz, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates.

1. Computers get stuck at black screen while installing cumulative updates. - Similar Threads - Computers stuck black

2. Computer stuck on black screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer stuck on black screen: My computer has been stuck on a black screen with a cursor, I've tried everything and nothing has worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-stuck-on-black-screen/09b2e030-d065-4ad4-bfed-6d8911ada148
  3. Computer stuck on black screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer stuck on black screen: My computer has been stuck on a black screen with a cursor, I've tried everything and nothing has worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-stuck-on-black-screen/09b2e030-d065-4ad4-bfed-6d8911ada148
  4. Computer stuck on black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows stuck in black-screen while updating.

Windows stuck in black-screen while updating.: Hi. Recently, I was using my laptop when Windows 11 asked me that my "Battery not detected".Several sources told me to disable then re-enable these 2 things. https://www.digitbin.com/no-battery-is-detected-on-windows-11-fix/* Picture of the items to disable and re-enable*Now,...
  6. Windows stuck in black-screen while updating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stuck in black-screen while updating.: Hi. Recently, I was using my laptop when Windows 11 asked me that my "Battery not detected".Several sources told me to disable then re-enable these 2 things. https://www.digitbin.com/no-battery-is-detected-on-windows-11-fix/* Picture of the items to disable and re-enable*Now,...
  7. Black Screen While Computer is Running

Black Screen While Computer is Running: Hello, I was recently updating my laptops operating system, and while I was updating, my charger got unplugged, forcing my computer to shut down. Now when I try and turn on my computer, all of the keyboard lights turn on and you can hear the fan running, but the screen...
  8. LiveKernelEvent - Computer get stucks / black screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    LiveKernelEvent - Computer get stucks / black screen: Good day,several times a day it happens on the computer at work, most often in Word, it happens that the computer gets stuck, the screen goes black, does not respond for a while, then an image appears and the computer starts reacting again.I found errors that appear in the...
  9. Stuck updates and black screen

Stuck updates and black screen: Hi community While trying to install feature update to 1903 In my windows 10 enterprise build 10240 pc during updating the screen goes black . Even after waiting for hrs still doesn't shows anything and CPU doesn't respond as when i click caps lock the light doesn't get on....
  10. Black screen while updating

Black screen while updating: I have Windows 10. It happens that the PC starts updating automatically; screen in blue background and messages of "do not turn off equipment, 30% completed etc" For some reason, the process is not completed and I am left with the screen in black, rather lightly illuminated....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update working on updates at 75% for 2 hours

2. windows update took a long time to load black screen