Windows 10: Computer's permissions messed up

Discus and support Computer's permissions messed up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Erik_836, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Erik_836 Win User

Computer's permissions messed up

I downloaded Cisco WebEx Meetings for an interview and now my computer's permissions are all messed up. I am unable to access things that require administrator access like command prompt. I was also unable to run an executable I downloaded, update one of my games, and can't even open task manager. I was completely unable to uninstall programs from my computer. I try to run a program or access command prompt and nothing will happen for 3 minutes, then an error will appear stating "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." This is the only error I have gotten for every program I've tried to run.

I checked to see if my account still has administrator access and it does. I also manually checked the cmd.exe and taskmgr.exe permissions as well and gave my account full access to them but still got the same error. I tried opening task manager through non-administrator command prompt and it said "access is denied."

Is this some kind of virus I unknowingly downloaded or is this an issue with windows? I'm not sure if this has anything to do with Cisco, it's just the last thing I downloaded. I can't even run sfc/scannow.

:)

Erik_836, Jun 30, 2020
  2. erixx Win User

Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

Forget it and get Windows 8! *Smile Computer's permissions messed up :)

Messing with permissions is really for advanced users, you can't win the Kernel with a crowbar *Smile Computer's permissions messed up :)

erixx, Jun 30, 2020
  3. silkstone Win User
    Windows 7 - Messed up permissions

So, while trying to delete some folders, i ended up messing up permissions for all of my folders.

I cannot use things like MSconfig.exe, it tells me settings cannot be saved. Word gives me errors and is unable to save to the normal.dot template, and when i restart my computer it hangs before the desktop unless i press one of the F-keys (not sure which one as i mash them).
    -pressing the F-key here does not give me a menu, it just allows windows to load for some strange reason. While windows is loading, if i do not press the f-key the computer crashes and i cannot even ctr-alt-del to restart.

Is there any way to reset permissions to default?

I am on an administrator account and UAC is off. I know a re-install will fix it all, but it's annoying to have to do that *Frown Computer's permissions messed up :(

silkstone, Jun 30, 2020
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

CHKDSK messed up

Continue with zbook's excellent instructions.

But if you want to try and get into the BIOS again just to check:
    From your product's website:
    Opening the Startup Menu during system startup on computers

Follow these steps to open the Startup menu when the computer is powered off.

1. Turn on the computer.
    2. Immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

You should get this option:

Computer's permissions messed up [​IMG]

Also: please don't forget to answer Golden's question regarding how the keyboard is connected.

Thema:

1. Computer's permissions messed up - Similar Threads - Computer's permissions messed

2. My Computer Is messed up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer Is messed up.: I updated my Windows 10 computer to Win11 several years ago!, earlier this year I went to bed leaving my computer running and updating before shutting down. Now my computer takes 30 minutes to boot and many programs won't run at all. I can't find my Windows key but will...
  3. My Computer Is messed up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer Is messed up.: I updated my Windows 10 computer to Win11 several years ago!, earlier this year I went to bed leaving my computer running and updating before shutting down. Now my computer takes 30 minutes to boot and many programs won't run at all. I can't find my Windows key but will...
  4. Computer very messed up..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer very messed up..: So I bought Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and was going to download a game. It got stuck in preparing so I went to go check and see about any Windows Updates. Turns out I had some. I started to download them but then those were stuck in downloading 0%. I went to go troubleshoot but...
  5. Computer very messed up..

Computer very messed up..: So I bought Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and was going to download a game. It got stuck in preparing so I went to go check and see about any Windows Updates. Turns out I had some. I started to download them but then those were stuck in downloading 0%. I went to go troubleshoot but...
  6. Computer badly messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer badly messed up: I'll get straight to the point to not bother you with unneeded information.I tried factory restarting my Windows 11 computer with the reset settings Remove everything > Local reinstall > Clean data, Delete files from all drivesThen I got the message "There was a problem...
  7. Computer badly messed up

Computer badly messed up: I'll get straight to the point to not bother you with unneeded information.I tried factory restarting my Windows 11 computer with the reset settings Remove everything > Local reinstall > Clean data, Delete files from all drivesThen I got the message "There was a problem...
  8. File permissions totally messed up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File permissions totally messed up: I was transferring data from my ssd to another computer, so I plugged in my ssd to another computer using an external drive. When I tried to access the ssd, it gave me "you don't currently have permission to access this folder" so I clicked continue to get permanent access....
  9. Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Run Checkdisk without messing up the permission?: I have a virtual machine in Hyper-V with Active Directory role installed in it. There is a block level storage attached to the VM through iSCSI. The folders inside the iSCSI volume are shared with different user level permissions assigned to each folders. So, I am facing...
  10. messed up permissions windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    messed up permissions windows 10: Hello all, Dave here. I have done something that I have done before, with windows 7 on down. I had a laptop that had a broken power port, and the battery went dead. I ordered a new power socket. While I was waiting for parts, the owner wanted files off of it. I removed hard...