Windows 10: Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates

Discus and support Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, I have a problem with about 7 / 8 PC's on our network that report in to our WSUS server claiming to be 100% up to date with updates etc. On... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Paul Messer, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates

Hi All,

I have a problem with about 7 / 8 PC's on our network that report in to our WSUS server claiming to be 100% up to date with updates etc.

On closer inspection most of these PC's are running Windows 10 version 1709. Having run an SLMGR /DLI on one of them I can see it reports the version as WindowsR Operating System, OEM_DM Channel.

With the exception of the 7 / 8 PC's I've mentioned all the other PC's show as needing feature updates to the various versions of windows and as we have it configured in our WSUS server they all automatically install security and critical updates.

These PC's however haven't installed ANY updates since 2017 which is a bit of a concern.

If I check for updates on the PC's Windows update checks which seems to take for ever to do anything but then reports as up to date.

Has anyone come across this issue and if so were you able to resolve it without reinstalling the operating system ? :-.

:)

Paul Messer, Oct 7, 2020

2. update is not showing in wsus console.

Below update is not showing in WSUS (version 6.3). Pls let us know the reason for this ???

• Windows 10 1709 (64-bit) – KB4073290
    • Windows 10 1709 (32-bit) – KB4073291
    • Windows 10 1703 – KB4057144
    • Windows 10 1607 – KB405714
    Regards

Vijay Radhakrishnan

VijayRadhakrishnan, Oct 7, 2020
  3. qubit Win User
    The WSUS support thread

This thread is for all things WSUS (Windows Server Update Services). Discussion, installation questions, problems all go here.

What is WSUS? It's basically a big file cache for all your Windows/Microsoft updates, so all your updates are only ever downloaded over the internet once. Instead of getting your updates directly from Microsoft whenever you reinstall your operating system, you point Windows to your local WSUS server instead. This makes downloading the multi-gigabytes of updates way faster using your internal network and also saves your internet bandwidth, which is often metered and limited.

Note that it requires Windows Server to run. I recommend running the latest Server 2008 R2 for performance, stability and security, if you can. This is a 64-bit only OS. And yes, the server can update from it's own WSUS server too. *Cool Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates :cool:

I've got links to a few resources below and I'll be adding more goodness to this post and the next one, as people make useful contributions to this thread.

Some WSUS resources to get you started:

The manual: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939796(WS.10).aspx

WSUS home: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/wsus/default.aspx

WSUS forum: Technet forums - WSUS

WSUS wiki: www.wsuswiki.com

POINTING WINDOWS TO THE WSUS SERVER

Note that this procedure is all you have to do on Vista and 7. XP requires a little extra and the whole update process isn't as transparent or efficient.

- Click the Orb at the bottom left of the desktop aka 'Start' button
    - In the search field enter GPEDIT.MSC
    - In the Local Group Policy Editor (LGPE) console that appears, navigate to: Computer configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update
    - Double click the Specify Intranet Microsoft update service location Group Policy setting. Note that Not Configured is showing in the State column

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates WSUSsetup01.png

- The dialog box opens. Note that the Not Configured radio button is selected

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates WSUSsetup02.png

- Enter the server details, by clicking the Enabled radio button and entering the same details in both Options fields. The server's name is the standard Windows name. My server is called afterburner *Smile Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates :)

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates WSUSsetup03.png

- Click OK. The main LGPE window now looks like below. Note that Enabled is now showing in the State column.

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates WSUSsetup04.png

- Close the LGPE window

- Open the Windows Update window. It should now show You receive updates: Managed by your system administrator

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates WSUSsetup05.png

Now, whenever you check for updates, Windows will access your WSUS server instead of looking over the internet to Microsoft's servers.
    If you want to change it back at an time, simply change the Group Policy setting back to Not Configured.

qubit, Oct 7, 2020
  4. Lackó Win User

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates

Windows 10 x64 bulid update 2004 for WSUS error

Lás

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to ask for your help regarding WSUS bulid update error. We have a business environment with 350 clients running various desktops like Windows 10 Pro X64 OS, with update management provided by WSUS. We want to upgrade our machines to the 2004
    build, however for more than 250 machines, this runs into errors.

The error message is "0x800705b4". By manually running the upgrade on a desktop, it will be updated to 2004 without any problems.

In the case of 50-60 machines, it was also installed from WSUS, although machines with the same type and the same program environment.

May I ask your advise that there may be some history update that is absolutely necessary before the 2004 bulid update,

or perhaps for older bulilds, this can only be done in step by steps.

Should the OS of the server running WSUS be newer than 2012?

We welcome any suggestions that may be a central solution to the problem.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Yours sincerely,

László

Lackó, Oct 7, 2020
Thema:

Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates

1. Computers running various old versions of Windows show in WSUS as not needing any updates - Similar Threads - Computers running various

2. WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows: Hi all,I have a WSUS Server, It still running normally but cannot show latest version of Windows. Example attach file: this machine has been upgrade from Windows 10 Pro version 1903 to Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 but the WSUS Server only show build number 19041 2004. It makes...
  3. WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows: Hi all,I have a WSUS Server, It still running normally but cannot show latest version of Windows. Example attach file: this machine has been upgrade from Windows 10 Pro version 1903 to Windows 10 Pro version 22H2 but the WSUS Server only show build number 19041 2004. It makes...
  4. WSUS cannot show latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 22h2 update is not showing up in WSUS

Windows 10 22h2 update is not showing up in WSUS: We recently updated our WSUS server to Server 2022 in order use it for Windows 11 updates and future Os. I am running into an issue the update/upgrade/feature update for 22h2 it only shows up as being available for Windows 11. The Windows 10 version does not show up in the...
  6. Powershell & WSUS - How to get needed updates on a single computer ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Powershell & WSUS - How to get needed updates on a single computer ?: Hello there,I would like to get through WSUS API and Powershell a list for needed / failed updates on a single computer. I'm very beginner with Powershell, I can get computer information, I can get all needed/failed updates on WSUS server but I did not succeeded to match both...
  7. Powershell & WSUS - How to get needed updates on a single computer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Powershell & WSUS - How to get needed updates on a single computer ?: Hello there,I would like to get through WSUS API and Powershell a list for needed / failed updates on a single computer. I'm very beginner with Powershell, I can get computer information, I can get all needed/failed updates on WSUS server but I did not succeeded to match both...
  8. Various applications not showing any text

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Various applications not showing any text: Hello, since at least the past 2 days I've been seeing a handful of applications with no text at all, notable ones being File Explorer rarely but happens on occasion, Command Prompt and Task Manager. Wordpad is experiencing something similar, but the characters there are...
  9. Old version of windows not showing any updates.

Old version of windows not showing any updates.: I'm using an old version of windows 10 and I want to update it. I tried to update it from settings but it's not showing any update. So, I want to update my PC.Please help me....
  10. Computers do not download WSUS updates

Computers do not download WSUS updates: Hi, Implement in the network of my work the role of wsus in server 2019, I made the configuration as it should be in the wsus console, policies by GPO, 2 groups one of machine and another of servers, the PCs communicate with wsus and it records everything perfect, but when...