Windows 10: Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10

Discus and support Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I 'm considering the Windows 10 upgrade on my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Windows 7 Pro and 4 GB ram , but I'm concerned about several issues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Lee101, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Lee101 Win User

Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10

I 'm considering the Windows 10 upgrade on my Dell Latitude E6410 laptop with Windows 7 Pro and 4 GB ram , but I'm concerned about several issues including whether the laptop is even compatible with W10. I'm on a data cap plan with my isp so W10 update sizes are also a concern. Will Windows Update still allow the option to check for updates but allow me to choose whether to download ? (I usually get large updates near the end of my data quota cycle). Also, does the disk require repartitioning , and if not, can Windows 7 be restored from an image backup ?

:)

Lee101, Nov 9, 2015

2. Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10

I have a Dell XPS 420 that originally had Vista installed. I bought an upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium a couple of years ago. It installed OK. By default the hard drive is partitioned with:

450 GB on drive C and

14.9 GB on Recovery Drive E

After the Windows 7 install I only have 1.2GB of free space on the recovery drive. Is this going to be enough for Windows 10?

Before the Win 7 install I'm sure there was ALOT more free space on this drive - but I'm afraid to go deleting files from here in case I mess things up.

Any advice appreciated!

StrontiumDog, Nov 9, 2015
  3. Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You may clear some space by following the suggestions below, as the space you mentioned will not be enough for Windows 10 upgrade.

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

Note: This involves deleting temporary and junk files. Please make sure you have the backup of your data.

In addition to that, uninstall the programs that you do not use:

Uninstall or change a program

Once you have freed up some space, refer:

Upgrade to Windows 10 for free

Also see:

Windows 10 FAQ & Tips

Hope this information was helpful.

Sahil Bali, Nov 9, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

RE : Will Windows Update still allow the option to check for updates but allow me to choose whether to download ?
    No. Windows Updates are to be installed automatically.
    With Win 7 Pro, you will have the option to "delay" updates installation for 30 days. But after that, updates will be downloaded and installed automatically.

RE : Also, does the disk require repartitioning
    No. Not unless you want to dual boot Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro.
    For the time being, you need to do an upgrade install of Win 10 over your Win 7, or the installed Win 10 will not get activated.
    This restriction is soon to be removed so that user can clean install Win 10, and activate it with the valid Win 7, or Win 8/8.1 product key.

RE : can Windows 7 be restored from an image backup ?
    Yes. You can reinstall Win 7 Pro anytime if you are not happy with Windows 10 Pro.
    My suggestion is to make sure you create a Win 7 installation disk, or a set of Recovery disks which you will use to reinstall Win 7.
    I have a Acer Aspire pre-installed with Win 7 without an installation disk. I created a set of what they call it Factory Default disks. It is a set of 4 DVDs in my case.
    I had used the set to reinstall Win 7 twice over Win 10.

davidhk, Nov 9, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If the connection is WiFi, the connection can be set to metered and only priority updates will be downloaded automatically.

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2015
  6. Lee101 Win User
    Thanks for the responses.....Under the circumstances I think I'll have to stay with Windows 7 at least for now.

Lee101, Nov 9, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    The choice is yours. There is no hurry anyway. The free upgrade offer is valid up to July 29th, 2016.
    I know you did that already, just to make sure that you will keep Windows update set at Manual.

Please read this excerpt ................... Source
    We will soon be publishing Windows 10 as an “Optional Update” in Windows Update for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers. Windows Update is the trusted, logical location for our most important updates, and adding Windows 10 here is another way we will make it easy for you to find your upgrade.
    Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.
    If you are on a metered connection on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, then you have the option of turning off automatic updates. We strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats. If you choose to do so, we recommend manually checking Windows Update frequently, perhaps when you are on a non-metered network and consider the installation of all “Recommended” and “Important” updates. Windows 10 will not automatically download updates on a metered connection unless there is a security issue addressed within the update. In addition, Windows 10 contains a number of features for those on metered connections, including monitoring data usage by application and setting data usage quotas.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Concerns about upgrading to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Concerns upgrading

2. Insider build 25295 won't upgrade/update nor allow me to change any options concerning...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Insider build 25295 won't upgrade/update nor allow me to change any options concerning...: My OEM Windows 10 64bit Windows Pro laptop running Windows 11 Insider build 25295 won't upgrade/update nor allow me to change any options concerning Insider options. It is borked and resetting the PC does not fix the problems. Can I purchase an installation Windows 11 Pro...
  3. Insider build 25295 won't upgrade/update nor allow me to change any options concerning...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Insider build 25295 won't upgrade/update nor allow me to change any options concerning...: My OEM Windows 10 64bit Windows Pro laptop running Windows 11 Insider build 25295 won't upgrade/update nor allow me to change any options concerning Insider options. It is borked and resetting the PC does not fix the problems. Can I purchase an installation Windows 11 Pro...
  4. Multiple Home PCs - Upgrading Concerns

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Multiple Home PCs - Upgrading Concerns: Here's my issue. I have 2 xbox, and 3 gaming PC, and two previous PCs that I reformatted the hard drives on I realize now that was a mistake before getting the license codes one was a Win10PRO and one was a Win10HOME and throwing away the PCs. I have 1 active PC...
  5. Upgrading Win7 to Win10, concerned that I will loose my Lexmark Pro205

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading Win7 to Win10, concerned that I will loose my Lexmark Pro205: History: 2 Win10 laptops in our home. 1 Win7 desktop that I have refused to allow Win8.x or anything to touch.... But, I have now met crunch time, because TurboTax refuses to let me use Win7 with their software. I am using a Win10 ASUS TUF laptop for daily use of late, I...
  6. Upgrading Win7 to Win10, concerned that I will loose my Lexmark Pro205

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading Win7 to Win10, concerned that I will loose my Lexmark Pro205: History: 2 Win10 laptops in our home. 1 Win7 desktop that I have refused to allow Win8.x or anything to touch.... But, I have now met crunch time, because TurboTax refuses to let me use Win7 with their software. I am using a Win10 ASUS TUF laptop for daily use of late, I...
  7. Will need to upgrade to windows 10 soon, and here are my big concerns and can anyone...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will need to upgrade to windows 10 soon, and here are my big concerns and can anyone...: I have windows 7 64 bit on an HP probook. I have been very pleased with windows 7 and wish Microsoft would not stop supporting it but am resigned to it. So since I waited, I have to pay. I am hoping I can do that reasonably, but I also am going to need help. I want to...
  8. Questions concerning the Upgrade from Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 professional

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions concerning the Upgrade from Windows 7 professional to Windows 10 professional: Soon, I will have to make a decision to upgrade my Windows 7 professional operating system to Windows 10 operating system. I have been using Windows 7 professional on my current PC for several years and purchased many third party software programs that were designed for...
  9. Ready to upgrade but driver concerns

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ready to upgrade but driver concerns: I've finally plucked up the courage to upgrade from W7 to W10 but I have concerns about driver compatibility. The 'Get Windows 10' app says things are OK but I'm not convinced. For instance, these are current drivers that are out of date and since this list was compiled I've...
  10. PC hardware upgrade pending but have privacy concerns about Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    PC hardware upgrade pending but have privacy concerns about Win 10: Hope it's okay to post this in General, I couldn't really see a better area on the forum. So I have a dilemma - I'm currently running Windows 7 64-bit and love it. I do though want to completely upgrade my ancient PC to something faster, more hard disk capacity, more RAM,...