Windows 10: Conexant APO Agent Causing Sound Input Issues, High CPU and Disk Usage, and Always Using...

Discus and support Conexant APO Agent Causing Sound Input Issues, High CPU and Disk Usage, and Always Using... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I noticed recently that the internal microphone system did not function properly on my HP Spectre x360 15-df0xxx running Windows 10 (v1903);... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hassan_99, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Hassan_99 Win User

Conexant APO Agent Causing Sound Input Issues, High CPU and Disk Usage, and Always Using...

Hello,

I noticed recently that the internal microphone system did not function properly on my HP Spectre x360 15-df0xxx running Windows 10 (v1903); the main issue was how it processed sound input. For example, when recording sound and then playing it back, it sped the recording up a bit, made it squeak, and sometimes there were crackling sounds in it. Additionally, the laptop's battery is draining faster than normal, the fans turn on frequently, even when the laptop is idle, and system experiences minor lags.

So, I go on task manager and find that Conexant APO Agent is the only process that is significantly consuming resources: using around 17% CPU and writing around 27 MB/s to disk. When I researched it in connection to the issues I was experiencing, I found that it indeed was the culprit (see https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...s-down-due-to-Conexant-APO-Agent/td-p/7223766).

So, I first reinstalled all my audio drivers. I tested two versions: the audio drivers that came from Windows update and then the newer ones from HP Support Assistant. The good news is all sound processing issues were gone (hopefully), but Conexant APO Agent still has a very high cpu and disk usage and still always uses my microphone (I don't know for what - scary -), thus draining my battery, on the two driver versions.

As I cannot explicitly prevent just CXAPOAgent64.exe from using the microphone on Windows, I went on msconfig => services => unchecked Synaptics Audio Service (apparently Conexant APO Agent is part of the Synaptics Audio Service, fun fact: Synaptics acquired Conexant Systems LLC) then restarted. This prevented Conexant APO Agent from starting and my system went back to normal; no fans constantly turning on and no high cpu and disk usage. This was all good until I tried playing a video on YouTube: 2 seconds in and it makes a popping sound then error message saying something about an audio failure. I immediately turned back on Synaptics Audio Service from msconfig and that solved that problem.

Other things I tried:

- Disabling audio enhancements for the microphone. As soon as I unchecked the setting, control panel froze until I closed Conexant APO Agent from task manager (yeah this Conexant thing is causing major problems all over my PC), makes sense because it's always using the microphone.

So in conclusion, I'm still stuck with Conexant APO Agent doing God knows what in the background, and don't know what else I can do. A safe, kind of temporary solution I found was just closing Conexant APO Agent from task manager (it reopens again immediately and goes back to using microphone but cpu and disk usage is lowered). Synaptics' website don't have a technical support contact email or anything (just sales stuff), so if anyone else has a similar issue or knows how to help, please advise. If, currently, there is no other possible solution to deal with Conexant APO Agent, then I want to raise this issue somehow so that the audio driver company responsible for using it on HP devices like mine can fix/optimise their driver. Also, could it be a Windows version issue?

Thanks,

Hassan

:)

Hassan_99, Oct 8, 2019

2. Conexant APO Agent high disk usage

I have Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit 1903 and I have always problem with program Conexant APO agent and his high disk usage. I have SSD and this program always write/read about 20 MB/s. Is any way how to stop it?

Jan Rajnoha, Oct 8, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Conexant APO Agent high disk usage

Hi Jan

Many users have had the same problem with Conexant APO Agent, they have disabled / uninstalled that and that fixed the problem and their Audio still worked . . .

DaveM121, Oct 8, 2019
  4. Conexant APO Agent Causing Sound Input Issues, High CPU and Disk Usage, and Always Using...

Conexant APO Agent high disk usage

Hi Dave,

I often kill Conexant. I tried find way, how to disable it, but without success. Do you have any advice?

Jan Rajnoha, Oct 8, 2019
Thema:

Conexant APO Agent Causing Sound Input Issues, High CPU and Disk Usage, and Always Using...

1. Conexant APO Agent Causing Sound Input Issues, High CPU and Disk Usage, and Always Using... - Similar Threads - Conexant APO Agent

2. High cpu usage issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High cpu usage issue: For the past week or so my cpu randomly goes to 100% usage and it causes my programs to freeze while that happens. The programs i found that are causing this is scvhost.exe and service host: state repository ... I dont know what to do to fix it so hopefully someone can help...
  3. High cpu usage issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High cpu usage issue: For the past week or so my cpu randomly goes to 100% usage and it causes my programs to freeze while that happens. The programs i found that are causing this is scvhost.exe and service host: state repository ... I dont know what to do to fix it so hopefully someone can help...
  4. high CPU and disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    high CPU and disk usage: My laptop has been with this problem for days in which sometimes the programs do not respondor they take a long time to respondI already restored windows and I still have the same problemthe cpu reaches 70%and disk 100%...
  5. High CPU and Disk usage.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    High CPU and Disk usage.: My 3 year old PC suffers from high CPU and Disk usage. If one is normal the other goes up to %100. This continues for more than a year. I cleaned my PC, changed the thermal cooler of the CPU, resetted the whole system but still couldn't get rid of the problem. The weird...
  6. Conexant APO Agent high disk usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Conexant APO Agent high disk usage: I have Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit 1903 and I have always problem with program Conexant APO agent and his high disk usage. I have SSD and this program always write/read about 20 MB/s. Is any way how to stop it?...
  7. CPU/DISK high Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CPU/DISK high Usage: hello guys, I have a Laptop MSI GL72 6QD since 2 days ago i started having some problems with high usage of cpu/disk/gpu more than as the usual. the game i used to play is a mmo but it just started happening from nowhere . [ATTACH]...
  8. CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CertPropSvc causes high CPU usage: Hello, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that my computer started to slow down due to high CPU usage. After some research I figured out that this is caused by a service called CertPropSvc (Microsoft Smartcard Certificate Propagation Service). If I manually stop the...
  9. High CPU usage causes Sound problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High CPU usage causes Sound problems: Hi I don't know if I'm posting this question in right section, so I apologize to moderators in advance. I've installed Windows 10 on this laptop and I'm having sound issues. When I boot up Windows sound is fine, however after an hour is starts getting crackling and clipping...
  10. High cpu and disk usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High cpu and disk usage: Hi everyone I have an old Acer laptop. It has the issue of consuming high levels of disk and CPU when applications are running. I tried to do windows 10 reset, but the issue still exist. Thanks in advance 82730

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WHAT IS CXAGENT CONEXANT APO AGENT

2. conexant apo agent hp