Windows 10: Configure automatic updates and metered connection

Discus and support Configure automatic updates and metered connection in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have my connection set as metered to give me more control over Windows updates. And from reading blog posts, Windows won't download feature updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by HeyCori, Mar 5, 2019.

1. HeyCori Win User

Configure automatic updates and metered connection

I have my connection set as metered to give me more control over Windows updates. And from reading blog posts, Windows won't download feature updates when metered is on. However, it will download security updates which is what I want.

Can I use group policy to configure automatic updates so it happens on a particular day/time?

Additionally, if I turn on "allow updates to be downloaded automatically over metered connections," does that mean Windows will also download feature updates as well?

:)

HeyCori, Mar 5, 2019
  2. R-T-B Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update Might Force Updates Even on Metered Connections

A wording change in the latest build of the upcoming Creators Update for Windows 10 has users on metered connections worried. In previous Microsoft Insider's builds of the Creators Update, the section of the license agreement pertaining to automatic updates said "updates will be downloaded and installed automatically, except over metered connections (where charges may apply)."

In this latest build, the wording has been changed to a more worrisome version implying updating may still happen for important updates: "We'll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we'll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly."

Configure automatic updates and metered connection 18da3be5bc06_thm.jpg

Obviously, this implies critical updates and such may still be pulled from a metered connection without prior user consent. Considering many "critical updates" from Microsoft today come in the form of "Patch Tuesday" rollups often nearing a gig, this could get expensive on a metered connection where users pay by the gigabyte or worse.

Source: HotHardware

R-T-B, Mar 5, 2019
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Mar 5, 2019
  4. Configure automatic updates and metered connection

OneDrive - Metered Connection

Hi Sayyid,

Since you're using a SIM to be able to use the internet, Windows 10 automatically set your connection as metered if your Internet service provider limits the data you can use.

You can turn the Set as metered connection option to OFF by following these steps:

• Click the Internet access icon from the Taskbar.
    • Click the network where you are connected, then click Properties.
    • Locate and toggle the Set as metered connection to OFF.

Let us know if the message still appears after following the above mentioned steps.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

Configure automatic updates and metered connection

1. Configure automatic updates and metered connection - Similar Threads - Configure automatic updates

2. Why Updates are automatically downloaded when i'm on metered connection.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why Updates are automatically downloaded when i'm on metered connection.: Hi As per my subject why is windows downloading updates when i am on metered connection and have not initiate the download. It just starts downloading the Cumulative Update Preview by itself. You can also see that the Download button is still there waiting for me to click....
  3. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  4. Metered Connection Disables Automatically after enabling

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered Connection Disables Automatically after enabling: When I try to set my Mobile hotspot as metered Connection when I click Toggle button is turning into blue but when I revist the Connection property window it shows metered Connection is in off position. Metered Connection disabling automatically. Kindly help me in this regard...
  5. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  6. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...
  7. Windows now doing automatic updates over metered connection

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows now doing automatic updates over metered connection: I have metered connection on and auto. download over metered off. This worked to prevent automatic updates until 2018-11-14, when it downloaded lots of updates anyway. Does anyone know what has changed? Is there any way now to prevent auto. updates with Windows Home? 121724
  8. Updates on a metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  9. Configuration of the metered connection features

Configuration of the metered connection features: Hi As a metered connection via Ethernet or via Hi-Fi disables or limits some features of Windows 10 Home v1607, it is possible to configure some of this functionality so that they work in a standard way? Thanks Bye 62280
  10. Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10: Since the Creators Update the mysterious wording in Windows Update has puzzled many, and Microsoft hasn't exactly been forthcoming. Just what updates are "required to keep Windows running smoothly"? [img] It doesn't help that the behaviour of updates over metered...