Windows 10: Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

Discus and support Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Is it possible to use a startup PIN with hardware BitLocker? By hardware BitLocker I am referring to BitLocker managing a drive's built-in encryption... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Michael G999, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

Is it possible to use a startup PIN with hardware BitLocker? By hardware BitLocker I am referring to BitLocker managing a drive's built-in encryption key. For example, for a TCG Opal 2.0 SSD. Or is a startup PIN only an option for software BitLocker? Thanks.

:)

Michael G999, Mar 2, 2024
  2. itsme1 Win User

How to enable/configure BitLocker authentication

In a professional environment, requiring and allowing makes more sense... It is not possible to configure in the bitlocker menu (in step 10 of the tutorial) "Configure TPM startup PIN", "Configure TPM startup key" at the same time, so Microsoft has put "Configure TPM startup key and PIN" . *Biggrin "Do not allow TPM" is not to disable the tpm, but not to use the tpm to unlock the hdd/ssd automatically.

itsme1, Mar 2, 2024
  3. itsme1 Win User

For example in a company, the IT project manager configures "allowing" for 2 options instead of "requiring" to leave the choice of authentication at startup to employees. In the menu shown in step 4 it is only possible to require one option. Still in business if the I.T. wants to require only key and pin together, it needs this third option "Configure TPM startup key and PIN". And also as I said in my previous comment explained otherwise, if the I.T. allowing "Configure TPM startup PIN" and "Configure TPM startup key" in Local Group Policy Editor, employees could not configure both at the same time for startup in step 10 of the tutorial in “BitLocker Drive Encryption” wizard. And, the BitLocker Drive Encryption wizard must not allow this possibility because the employees could configure a thing that the I.T. would not. Yes the setting "Configure TPM startup", on "Require TPM" invalidates the other 3 menus. Menus are confusing because they are designed for businesses. To configure bitloker startup authentication you should go through the BitLocker Drive Encryption wizard and leave the Local Group Policy Editor menus on allow. note: In BitLocker Drive Encryption wizard there is no "key and PIN" option you have to configure it in command line.

itsme1, Mar 2, 2024
  4. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by this. The menu gives the option of either requiring OR allowing. I'm just asking why someone would implement a security measure but then make it optional (i.e. "allowing" instead of "requiring").
    I see that the menu in step 10 doesn't allow you to specify both a key and a PIN, but that still doesn't explain why "Configure TPM startup PIN", "Configure TPM startup key" and "Configure TPM startup key and PIN" need to be 3 separate options in the menu shown in step 4. The third option seems redundant. It seems like all of the possible values of the third option are already covered by the possible value combinations of the first two.
    But if I set the first menu, "Configure TPM startup", to "Require TPM", shouldn't that invalidate all of the other 3 menus, as I've now specified that the TPM alone will be used to unlock the HDD/SSD? These menus are very confusing.

Citizen Snips, Mar 2, 2024
Thema:

Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

1. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN? - Similar Threads - Configure hardware BitLocker

2. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?: Is it possible to use a startup PIN with hardware BitLocker? By hardware BitLocker I am referring to BitLocker managing a drive's built-in encryption key. For example, for a TCG Opal 2.0 SSD. Or is a startup PIN only an option for software BitLocker? Thanks....
  3. Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Configure hardware BitLocker with startup PIN?: Is it possible to use a startup PIN with hardware BitLocker? By hardware BitLocker I am referring to BitLocker managing a drive's built-in encryption key. For example, for a TCG Opal 2.0 SSD. Or is a startup PIN only an option for software BitLocker? Thanks....
  4. BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction: Hi, We want to enable BitLocker Startup PIN using Intune. Is there a way by which the PIN can be setup without User interaction. From my understanding, we will have to set PIN for each computer and requires user interaction. Please help. Thanks in advance...
  5. BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction: Hi, We want to enable BitLocker Startup PIN using Intune. Is there a way by which the PIN can be setup without User interaction. From my understanding, we will have to set PIN for each computer and requires user interaction. Please help. Thanks in advance...
  6. BitLocker Startup PIN without User Interaction

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. BitLocker encryption missing PIN configuration

in Windows 10 Customization
    BitLocker encryption missing PIN configuration: Hi, I need some help on the BitLocker. We have corporate Windows 10 Enterprise OS and need to configure BitLocker to encrypt C drive. However, BitLocker doesn't have PIN option to configure. Anyone can help? Any idea ? [ATTACH]...
  8. BitLocker Startup Options Configured Incorrectly

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Startup Options Configured Incorrectly: Hi, I recently installed a Gigabyte TPM module onto my Gigabyte motherboard to enable BitLocker on my Windows OS drive. However, attempting to configure BitLocker, I get the "Startup options on this PC are configured incorrectly." message. I was in local GPO and enabled the...
  9. The Startup options on this PC are configured incorrectly – Bitlocker error

in Windows 10 News
    The Startup options on this PC are configured incorrectly – Bitlocker error: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to fix the error The Startup options on this PC are configured incorrectly for BitLocker. A user may see this error message when he tries to use BitLocker on a Windows system. [...] This post The Startup options on this PC...
  10. Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10: How to: Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 How to Change BitLocker Startup PIN in Windows 10 [img] Information BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure...