Windows 10: Configure VMware Workstation

Discus and support Configure VMware Workstation in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi, Based on a scenario, I have queries as following. VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop. As guest OS, Windows 7,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by ugn10, Apr 21, 2016.

1. ugn10 Win User

Configure VMware Workstation

Hi,
    Based on a scenario, I have queries as following.

• VMware Workstation 12 Pro is installed in a Windows 10 Desktop.
    • As guest OS, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2012 R2 are installed in VMware Workstation.
    • I have to do a setup for networking practice with guest OS.
    • I have DHCP enabled router installed by the internet service provider.
    Network setting of all guest OS is bridged and I have to install and configure DNS, DHCP and AD in Windows Server 2012 R2.

I am not able to configure DNS and DHCP in Windows Server 2012 R2.
    I read, only one DHCP can be configured in a LAN and already a DHCP-enabled router in this LAN.

Please guide me a tip and trick for setting up networking with guest OS in this scenario.

I believe, I explained well.

:)

ugn10, Apr 21, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Apr 21, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    VMWare 4.0.2 & Windows 10

Does the VMWare website offer any insight?

P.S. The name is now VMWare Workstation Player.

BulldogXX, Apr 21, 2016
  4. sml156 Win User

I guess you want to use Server 2012 for DNS so turn off DNS on the router and give it a static IP, Once you setup DNS on the server and point it to your router which is your gateway all your computers should get their IP from the server.

sml156, Apr 21, 2016
  5. ugn10 Win User
    Hi,

Thank you for replying and you guessed correct.
    For practice, I want to install DNS, DHCP and AD on Windows Server 2012r2. And Windows Server is installed as a guest OS on VMware Workstation.
    You told, "turn off DNS on the router and give it a static IP, Once you setup DNS on the server and point it to your router which is your gateway all your computers should get their IP from the server."
    I already tried the above steps. The router is a WiFi-router, installed by my ISP, and as per my ISP, static IP can't be configured on it.
    Normally more than one DHCP isn't configured in a LAN but because of this scenario, please guide me some tips & tricks.

Regards
    Sanjay

ugn10, Apr 26, 2016
  6. sml156 Win User
    You could configure your server to use the physical LAN card and use Virtual LAN cards for all the other machine's, It would probably be easier to get another router and disable DNS on that one.

sml156, Apr 26, 2016
  7. ugn10 Win User
    Please elaborate the steps. What I need to do?
    Will I be able to do all steps by keeping Windows 10 as a Host OS and other (Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2) as Guest OS? and will I be able to use internet from the same DHCP-enabled Wifi Router?

ugn10, Apr 27, 2016
  8. sml156 Win User

That must be one hefty machine, With the roles you want Server 2012 r2 that will be a minimum of 4 gigs and 7 and 8.1 are at least 1gig each.

But that's not what you asked, I would search the web for a good tutorial on creating a Home lab with VMware 12 and Windows server 2012 R2

sml156, Apr 27, 2016
  9. you can have multiple DHCP servers. I suspect your issue is that your 2012 R2 is getting its IP via DHCP from your router. Give the 2012 R2 VM a static IP and you should be able to set up DNS and DHCP on it.

kjlkjadfasdfasd, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Configure VMware Workstation - Similar Threads - Configure VMware Workstation

2. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  3. Vmware Workstation and W10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vmware Workstation and W10: I am running W10.Can anyone suggest why I am having trouble using VMware on my class 3 Dell 5430 laptop running W10? I was able to install Vmware but when I tried to open it the next day it would not open. I was also unable to connect a USB 3.0 Flash Drive but I could connect...
  4. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VMware Workstation and Memory integrity: Since I discovered Memory integrity feature in Windows Security I have left it always enabled. But sometimes I should turn it off by rebooting my PC in order to work with virtual machines. I tried to enable hypervisor and VM-related components in Control Panel as it described...
  5. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware Workstation and Memory integrity: Since I discovered Memory integrity feature in Windows Security I have left it always enabled. But sometimes I should turn it off by rebooting my PC in order to work with virtual machines. I tried to enable hypervisor and VM-related components in Control Panel as it described...
  6. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. VMware workstation 12 player

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware workstation 12 player: I have used Hyper V mainly, but have given the latest VMware a go. So far I'm liking it. Something it does that Hyper V didn't is allow me to connect USB device. I have not figured out the setting so I can see my host drives though. How do I enable that? [img] 23361
  8. VMWare Workstation 10.4

VMWare Workstation 10.4: VMWare Workstation 10.4 is on the street. Up and running, and at the moment haven't had any problems running any OS. 2753
  9. vmware workstation 12.5.2

vmware workstation 12.5.2: Hi folks If you are running Linux Hosts this version of VMWARE workstation (and similar release of vmplayer) seems to have fixed problems of "wobbly mouse" etc -- also when scrolling inside the GUEST in windowed mode --I.E Windowed mode WITHIN the guest the scroll is...
  10. VMWare workstation 11 no internet.

VMWare workstation 11 no internet.: Hi, I've done a clean install of windows 10 Pro but am now unable to get internet on a guest VM on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 . I just get a yellow ? Ethernet controller in device manager. I tried my legal copies of Windows Me and Windows 3.11 and can get...