Windows 10: Configuring a new BCD file

Discus and support Configuring a new BCD file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi There, How's it going? Due to some corruption I have to create a new BCD file, that is along with installing a new boot folder on the windows-boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TroubleShot, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Configuring a new BCD file

Hi There, How's it going? Due to some corruption I have to create a new BCD file, that is along with installing a new boot folder on the windows-boot partition. (My set up uses MBR). I know how to enter a lot of the BCD entries but not all of them. So I know this for the bootmgr and the bootloader of the OS. When it comes to the Ramdisk entries, there are two, WinRe.wim for the windows recovery partition and the OEM recovery partition; some will say why still use the OEM? And I also know what to do for WinRE. But would the entries be similar to WinRe for the OEM recovery - just change the drive, path and GUID? More importantly, in entering the bootloader settings, i.e. the OS, is this enough to include Winresume.exe (resume) and memtest.exe (memory test) as these are picked up automatically as they are also in system32 / windows? Or will I also need to enter these settings too? If so, any one know how? It has to be similar to the bootmgr and bootloader? Do I include the switch for the debugger settings? Must I also add the hypervisor settings? (I know these). That leaves the EMS settings? Then how about two device options which are the Ramdisks for WinRE and OEM - have those, but would about this second option - does what I know cover these already? From bcdedit /enum all ; there are also the Ram Defects, Global, Boot Loader and Resume Loader Settings, where two of these cross over with the above cases. It would be good for any assistance anyone can offer for BCD entries of a new BCD file. T.

:)

TroubleShot, Jun 10, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

How to clean up BCD entries? Rebuild the BCD?

This is normal that under Recovery Environment, The letters are re-assigned. This is why you have to be careful and select the correct one.
    @dictum
    Advice: Never use Easy BCD with Windows installed using GPT disk. Use Easy UEFI instead provided you know what you are doing. Easy BCD only works with MBR disk type.
    Base on the screen shot above. Your disk 0 is your new Windows and your disk 1 contains the old Windows. Disk 3 contains a 512MB Fat32 partition and I don't know what that is. I suggest you disconnect disk 3 for now before proceeding.

Let rebuild new BCD's for both disk 0, and disk 1. Please follow step by step on the 2 screen shots below. On step 3, write down the drive letter for PM981_New. In the screen shot, My Windows is still assigned to C but it might be different from yours. In step 10, if the drive letter is different than C, then use the letter in step 3.

Do exactly the same for disk 1, this time select disk 1 in step 4 and assign letter V in step 7, Use V and the drive letter for Old Windows in step 10. This will create a new BCD for PM981_Old and you will be able to boot separately from boot menu.

From boot menu, select which one to boot from.
    Once booted into Windows. If you wish, you can set up dual boot for Windows old & New. Under This PC, look for the drive letter of the offline Windows and type:
    bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the letter of the offline Windows

Configuring a new BCD file [​IMG]

Configuring a new BCD file [​IMG]

topgundcp, Jun 10, 2021
  3. File :\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc0000034

Hi Zeuss.

Error 0xc0000034 is displayed when either the bootmgr file is corrupt or missing or the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) is corrupt or missing. We would like to know more about the issue that you are encountering. Please provide the following
    information:

• Were there any changes made on your computer before this issue came up?
    • Do you get the same error code 0xc0000034?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you have done so far?

We look forward to your response.

Melowin Mar, Jun 10, 2021
  4. WayneFulp Win User

Configuring a new BCD file

BCD File Rebuild and BIOS

Our IT department updated my pc to 1803 not realizing that I have an X299 motherboard and a Samsung NVME SSD boot drive. I came in the next day to get the BCD File error BSOD with error code 0xc000098 (a known bug but not fixed a year after discovery).
    Our IT department looked up this issue and decided to rebuild my BCD file and was (we thought) successful implementing this solution. My pc then booted from the previous NVME SSD drive. I had migrated my OS from the 256GB SSD to a new 500gb SSD, both NVME.
    No troubles for a year booting from the 500gb disk and now it boots from the old 256gb drive which I did not wipe on purpose. I boot into the UEFI ASUS bios on the pc and the boot order configuration only lists one option for position 1 to 4. Before each position
    listed each bootable device. First of all why in the world would a Windows update and BCD file rebuild screw with the BIOS and second how do I get the proper C: drive boot with to way to change the boot order in the BIOS?

WayneFulp, Jun 10, 2021
Thema:

Configuring a new BCD file

1. Configuring a new BCD file - Similar Threads - Configuring BCD file

2. File: Boot\bcd. the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File: Boot\bcd. the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry: Здравствуйте, попытался я обновить свой Win 7, до Windows 8.1. Сначало пробовал через BIOS. По итогу получил ошибку file: boot\bcd oxc000000e. Решил попробовать через файл Setup.exe, но тоже не получилось ошибкв: версия этого файла несовместима с используемой версией windows...
  3. File: Boot\bcd. the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File: Boot\bcd. the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid os entry: Здравствуйте, попытался я обновить свой Win 7, до Windows 8.1. Сначало пробовал через BIOS. По итогу получил ошибку file: boot\bcd oxc000000e. Решил попробовать через файл Setup.exe, но тоже не получилось ошибкв: версия этого файла несовместима с используемой версией windows...
  4. Cannot rebuild BCD files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot rebuild BCD files.: I restarted my PC after messing with ASUS files on my computer, ASUS is mb manufacturer and I'm getting a blue screen with the error code 0xc0000225. I've searched the internet for fixes and none of them have worked yet. The most promising solution, repairing my BCD files,...
  5. Cannot rebuild BCD files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot rebuild BCD files.: I restarted my PC after messing with ASUS files on my computer, ASUS is mb manufacturer and I'm getting a blue screen with the error code 0xc0000225. I've searched the internet for fixes and none of them have worked yet. The most promising solution, repairing my BCD files,...
  6. Missing BCD file, 00xc000000f error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Missing BCD file, 00xc000000f error: I've already seen a similar thread, but the solution didn't work for my case. Also, pretty long one, I apologize.So, it all started when I was trying to upgrade to an M.2 drive from a SATA SSD. I used AOMEI cloning service to clone everything I had on the SSD to the M.2.I was...
  7. BCD ERROR File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BCD ERROR File: \Boot\BCD Error code: 0xc000000f: Suddenly my laptop start getting slow and on the second day start showing blue screen with this code:RecoveryFile:\Boot\BCDError code : 0x000000fI ran boot rec /rebuilkdbcd but it did not solve the problem. system restore is not working as well.Please help me...
  8. bcd

bcd: your pc device needs to be repaired the boot configuration data file does not contain valid information for an operating system file :\boot\bcd error code :0xc0000098 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bcd/5560998a-6316-4d28-ba64-f70b569ac8ef
  9. How To Fix No BCD File?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Fix No BCD File?: I have searched the forum and there's lots of hits. But very tedious going through them looking for the one that fits. If someone know which thread answers my problem then perhaps they could give me a link to it. This Win10 computer won't boot since a power outage last...
  10. BCD File Rebuild and BIOS

BCD File Rebuild and BIOS: Our IT department updated my pc to 1803 not realizing that I have an X299 motherboard and a Samsung NVME SSD boot drive. I came in the next day to get the BCD File error BSOD with error code 0xc000098 (a known bug but not fixed a year after discovery). Our IT department...