Windows 10: Configuring a new router

Discus and support Configuring a new router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am currently using a Linksys E2500 router behind my cable modem and everything is working. I'm going to get a new router (Asus wifi 6 capable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by snifferpro, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Configuring a new router

I am currently using a Linksys E2500 router behind my cable modem and everything is working.

I'm going to get a new router (Asus wifi 6 capable router) that I will use to eventually replace the Linksys E2500.

My question is as follows;

Can I connect the new Asus router to a lan port on my existing E2500 and configure the new Asus router with the same or similar settings as the E2500? I would then disconnect the E2500 router from the modem, and connect the new Asus router to the cable modem.

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Thanks

:)

snifferpro, Sep 11, 2020
  2. Tryx3 Win User

New Router

I suggest that you
    ask a question of your own
    as tagging posts onto existing questions does not normally attract much attention in this forum.

For your question, I suggest you use a title that sums up the problem such as
    Computer keeps losing connection to the router

In the categories that appear underneath your question, I suggest you select Windows, Windows 10, Network & internet, PC.

In your question description, I suggest you split your explanation up into the following sections to help make the situation more readily understandable. Your existing posts have comments about symptoms mixed up with comments about other subjects and it
    is all very difficult to comprehend.

1 Your equipment & its configuration [Dell 23 computer running Windows 10 Home/Premium 32/64 bit, connected to home(?) network through a xxx router with a modem/cable connection to internet].

• Clarify the types of connection you have tried [LAN/WiFi].
    • Clarify which bits of equipment have been replaced.
    • Add a comment that your other [Win8.1?] computer connects to the router without any problems through its LAN/WiFi.

2 Any unusual applications or unusual software configurations.

• You ought to explain Drive Support & CCleaner Professional usage or you'll just get people asking you to do so later.
    • Clarify your reference to Windows media center. It is not compatible with Windows 10.
    • I never stream video so I don't know if that involves any special configurations that could usefully be explained for your readers.

3 Exactly what the problem symptoms are.

• State whether the problems are apparent only on LAN connections or also on WiFi connections.
    • State whether the problems are apparent if you connect to other equipment such as a smartphone's mobile hotspot.
    • Explain anything that seems to affect the symptoms such as, but not limited to, Windows update.
    • Explain when the problem becomes apparent [when trying to connect / after doing something specific like receiving streaming video / ...]

4 What rectification action has been tried and what effect it has had.
    Avoid saying "did not work" or similar as that can often mask useful information.

4.1 What you have done

• Clean reinstallation of Windows 10 Home/Premium {if I understood you correctly},
    • Replacing various bits of kit [list them],
    • Resetting the router,
    • Setting the router up from scratch again,
    • Trying a different router.

4.2 Action by Dell - both what they have done and what they have said.

4.3 Action by Geek squad - both what they have done and what they have said.

4.4 Action by anybody else - both what they have done and what they have said.

I will not be able to help as I have never had any router problems so have not developed any expertise on the subject [I have never thought routers were either compatible or incompatible with OSs. I thought they were as independent as, say, USB memory
    sticks.]. My router is an Edimax BR-6226n and it works correctly with my Dells. I have also used my phone's mobile hotspot as a router sometimes and it also works correctly.

Best of luck to you,

Denis

Tryx3, Sep 11, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Sep 11, 2020
  4. Solaris17 Win User

Configuring a new router

is there any demand for a system configurator?

Processor(V) <--drop down arrow
    -AMD(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---AM2(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---939(V)
    ----List of CPU's
    -Intel(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---775(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---771(V)
    ----List of CPU's

etc etc.

Solaris17, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Configuring a new router

1. Configuring a new router - Similar Threads - Configuring router

2. Modem/Router Features. How to configure Port Triggering ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Modem/Router Features. How to configure Port Triggering ?: Hello everyone,,. I have a brand new laptop with windows 11. So I'm really trying to get this right and seeking knowledge and education,,I know is the key. I've had more than my fare share of security breaches within the cyber theater. For me it has been,, at times a haunting...
  3. Modem/Router Features. How to configure Port Triggering ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Modem/Router Features. How to configure Port Triggering ?: Hello everyone,,. I have a brand new laptop with windows 11. So I'm really trying to get this right and seeking knowledge and education,,I know is the key. I've had more than my fare share of security breaches within the cyber theater. For me it has been,, at times a haunting...
  4. Delete STC_WIFI_6682_AC in SSID Configuration Router IP Address for your Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete STC_WIFI_6682_AC in SSID Configuration Router IP Address for your Computer: Yes, I did you you do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-stcwifi6682ac-in-ssid-configuration-router/189f1aa1-d11c-4667-8786-801761a3661f
  5. Delete STC_WIFI_6682_AC in SSID Configuration Router IP Address for your Computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete STC_WIFI_6682_AC in SSID Configuration Router IP Address for your Computer: Yes, I did you you do this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-stcwifi6682ac-in-ssid-configuration-router/189f1aa1-d11c-4667-8786-801761a3661f
  6. Delete STC_WIFI_6682_AC in SSID Configuration Router IP Address for your Computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to configure my new TP-Link modem router to allow a VPN connection on Windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to configure my new TP-Link modem router to allow a VPN connection on Windows?: I have a router from the ISP that is working ok but with a very short range for WIFI. I bought a new TP-Link router. I did the quick setup nice and easy however when it attempts an Internet Connection Check it fails ALTHOUGH internet is working fine and WIFI is good. But...
  8. Can't browse webpages or access router configuration when connected to computer via Remote...

Can't browse webpages or access router configuration when connected to computer via Remote...: I'm currently away from my Windows 10 PC which I am connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. I can't seem to be able to access any web pages they keep timing out, but I am able to access local devices on my network i.e. IP Cameras. However, I am unable to load the...
  9. Can't browse webpages or access router configuration when connected to computer via Remote...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't browse webpages or access router configuration when connected to computer via Remote...: I'm currently away from my Windows 10 PC which I am connected to via Remote Desktop Connection. I can't seem to be able to access any web pages they keep timing out, but I am able to access local devices on my network i.e. IP Cameras. However, I am unable to load the...
  10. Is it possible to remotely configure my router for wake on lan?

Is it possible to remotely configure my router for wake on lan?: I've been away from home for over a year now, and have been successfully using wake on lan to access my home pc. However, the router seems to have died now. I have a friend who's tried rebooting it for me, but apparently it only stays on for a few seconds and then shuts down...