Windows 10: Configuring File History??

Discus and support Configuring File History?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; 1) Frustrated by File History inflexibility 2) Insists on backing up [mostly**] C Drive folders, meanwhile, I have all Docs/Data/Media on D Drive 3)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sookie(2), Nov 11, 2018.

1. sookie(2) Win User

Configuring File History??

1) Frustrated by File History inflexibility

2) Insists on backing up [mostly**] C Drive folders, meanwhile, I have all Docs/Data/Media on D Drive

3) C Drive is SSD, mostly empty except for OS & related + Apps M$ forced there!

4) Can't find any way to Select/include specific D:\ folders* (ironically I can [theoretically] Exclude folders in Advanced)

5) Used "Get Help" App, only to be told "We don't provide any Support regarding folders or files..."or, apparently, in-built Win10 functions! ---------ARRRRRGH!!!

* 6) Requesting "File History" via Cortana prompts "Opening Backup Settings" (Huh??) - where I now have BU Folder Options?!?

7) Anyone direct me to step-by-step (pref video tutorial) to get File History to actually do something useful/relevant to my needs?

8) Why all the wacky discrepancies between File History [via Control Panel] and Backup Settings [via Cortana/Search/App?]??

** Location This PC/Music is Empty (presumably because all Music is in D:\Music) - Meanwhile This PC/My Pictures is Populated with

GB's of images stored in D:\My Pictures folder) Huh??? Whaaaa? ... How does this make any sense??

:)

sookie(2), Nov 11, 2018
  2. Steve C Win User

Need Serious Help: How To Record Video of What is Done on my PC?

I suggest the following simple steps:

1. Set the autosave options in MS Office to a low value say 5 minutes.
    2. Setup file history to autosave frequently - the shortest period is 5 mins
    3. Install Macrium Reflect Free and configure it to do a daily incremental system backup

You should be well covered if you do the above to protect your key files.

Steve C, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Steve C Win User
    File History not working

File History (FH) is somewhat unreliable. My usual fix is this:

File History - Reset to Default in Windows 10

• Stop FH from the configuration window
    • Delete your FH config files at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration
    • Restart FH and select to use the same backup drive as before

Steve C, Nov 11, 2018
  4. #Jon# Win User

File History not backing up any files

Hello Victor

Thank you for the response. I had already checked that thread, but it hasn't helped me:

• The thread deals with Windows 8's implementation of File History, which is somewhat different to that of Windows 10.
    • Most of the thread deals with setting up File History (which I have already done, precisely following the recommended steps). The third link in the thread might have been useful since it appears to link to a page that deals with troubleshooting File History
      (as opposed to setting it up), but unfortunately the link is dead.
    Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#Jon#, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

1. Configuring File History?? - Similar Threads - Configuring File History

2. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: File History seems to have stopped working. I've tried backing up from my PC W10, 21H1 version to two Passports. Each time I get the "run now" message, then a message only a few seconds later that the back-up is complete, but the total TB/GB amount free figure on the Passport...
  3. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  4. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Configuring a NAS and File History: I have a brand new NAS, I'm trying to configure File History in Win 10 to backup to my NAS automatically. In Explorer, I can see my NAS and all its file but when I try to select it as a backup location from File History, I get "You can't open this location using this location...
  5. Configuring a NAS and File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. File History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  7. File History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File History: I have Windows 11 and cannot find the previous Windows 10 setup page that allowed inclusion of desired files as well as the removal of those not needed by the user. All it appears to do is to save files chosen by the program, most of which I don't need and cannot erase. Can...
  8. File History configuration error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History configuration error: I've just set up file history on my Windows 10 laptop as I just got a new SSD, and thought it would be a good idea to enable file history on my old one. (Both are always inside the computer, but it's still good for when I accidentally delete or overwrite a file.) It worked...
  9. File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File History: For some unknown reason, I opened my laptop and noticed that I had to manually minimize windows to see others. I tried to see if it was connected to setting in file history and found that file history was turned off and it said no usable file drive found. I don't know if it...
  10. File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    File History: Hi. Hope I have posted this in the correct forum - I could not find a 'Backup & Restore' page. I have just purchased a NAS drive and I am going to enable Windows 10 to backup to this using File History. My question is, how does windows store these files? For...