Windows 10: Configuring max/min password age via Local Group Policy on Windows 10 laptops (v1903)

Discus and support Configuring max/min password age via Local Group Policy on Windows 10 laptops (v1903) in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Guys, hope you can advise. I'm following instructions on how to set the min/max password age on a number of Win 10 Pro laptops (v1903) but it's... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Deburgo31, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Deburgo31 Win User

Configuring max/min password age via Local Group Policy on Windows 10 laptops (v1903)

Hi Guys, hope you can advise.

I'm following instructions on how to set the min/max password age on a number of Win 10 Pro laptops (v1903) but it's just not working and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Have followed the simple instructions via SECPOL > Account Policies > Password Policy - but when I set the maximum age to 2days and minimum age to 1day (just so to test it works) nothing happens after 2 days - no prompt that my password has expired etc. I've increased the maximum age to 7 days but still no prompt to change the password after 7 days. Any ideas? Note: they are all standalone laptops so it's the Local Group Policy which I am trying to configure.

Much appreciated.
    All my very best
    Mike

:)

Deburgo31, Nov 29, 2019

2. Windows Defender Group Policy Disabeled

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

As you have stated you want to disable the group policy so that you can run windows defender on the computer.

I would like to suggest few troubleshooting steps:

Method 1: Disable group policy from gpedit.msc

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type gpedit.msc and click Ok.(it will open Local Group policy editor)

• Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender.

• In the right pane of
      Windows Defender
      in Local Group Policy Editor, double click/tap on the
      Turn off Windows Defender
      policy to edit it.

• Select (dot) Not Configured or
      Disabled, click/tap on OK,

• When finished, you can close the Local Group Policy Editor if you like.
    If the issue still persist you can follow method 2.

Method 2: Disable group policy from registry.

Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the
    article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

• Press Window Key +R.

• Type regedit and click. (it will open registry)

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

• Right Click on Window Defender to create a new Dword.

• Click on New and Select Dword.

• Type DisableAntiSpyware.

• Right click on DisableAntiSpyware and click on modify.

• Set the value to 0 instead of 1.

Hope this information is helpful. If the issue still persists, you can write back to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Morris Subba, Nov 29, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    See Applied Group Policies in Windows 10

Hello Sam, *Smile

Your screenshot of the Local Group Policy Editor is normal when you have "Local Computer Policy" selected in the left pane.

You'll need to do the rest of the steps in Option One to see if you have any policies configured.

Brink, Nov 29, 2019
  4. Configuring max/min password age via Local Group Policy on Windows 10 laptops (v1903)

Accessing Password Policy in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to set Password policy. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know what happened when you try to change the policy. Did you get any error message?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

You must log in as administrator to access these settings.

• Press Windows key + R and type secpol.msc
      and press enter.

• The Local Security Policy window will open. Now from the left pane, choose
      Password Policy from under Account Policies.

• On the right side, choose Maximum password age.

• If you wish the password to never Expire, set the value to
    Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 29, 2019
Thema:

Configuring max/min password age via Local Group Policy on Windows 10 laptops (v1903)

1. Configuring max/min password age via Local Group Policy on Windows 10 laptops (v1903) - Similar Threads - Configuring max min

2. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  3. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working: Hi,I tried to prompt the user to input his new password after a period of time. For testing purpose, i set one day on the Maximum password age. However, the requiring input of password was not activated. after one day, the user was still not requested for submitting his new...
  4. Password policy on Local Group Policy Editor not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Absolutely nothing is configured in Local Group Policy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Absolutely nothing is configured in Local Group Policy: Hello, absolutely nothing is configured there, and i'm not gonna search one by one to solve my problem.The problem in question that i'm having is 0x8000FFFF which makes windows update completely unusable and i can't add features which is what i want to have linux subsystem...
  6. Absolutely nothing is configured in Local Group Policy

Absolutely nothing is configured in Local Group Policy: Hello, absolutely nothing is configured there, and i'm not gonna search one by one to solve my problem.The problem in question that i'm having is 0x8000FFFF which makes windows update completely unusable and i can't add features which is what i want to have linux subsystem...
  7. Password age policies

Password age policies: Hello,I have configured and assigned password age policy 90 days but password age effected default policy 42 days.I checked my computer password age policies if it is 42 days or 90 days. It was 90 days.Where else do I need to check?...
  8. Password age policies

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password age policies: Hello,I have configured and assigned password age policy 90 days but password age effected default policy 42 days.I checked my computer password age policies if it is 42 days or 90 days. It was 90 days.Where else do I need to check?...
  9. Local Group Policy Max/Min password age not working (Win 10 Pro v1903)

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Group Policy Max/Min password age not working (Win 10 Pro v1903): Hello to all on TenForums, hope you are keeping well. It's my first post, hope you can advise. I'm following instructions on how to set the min/max password age on a number of Win 10 Pro laptops (v1903) but it's just not working and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Have...
  10. Local Group Policy Max/Min password age not working (Win 10 Pro v1903)

in Windows 10 Support
    Local Group Policy Max/Min password age not working (Win 10 Pro v1903): Hello to all on TenForums, hope you are keeping well. It's my first post, hope you can advise. I'm following instructions on how to set the min/max password age on a number of Win 10 Pro laptops (v1903) but it's just not working and I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Have...