Windows 10: Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7

Discus and support Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a LAN with 3 Pc's all running win7 connected. The LAN switch also connects the internet modem and 3 network attached stores for various data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Davidk, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Davidk Win User

Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7

I have a LAN with 3 Pc's all running win7 connected. The LAN switch also connects the internet modem and 3 network attached stores for various data types (media, backups) that - because of the LAN - are independently accessible from any of the PC's. All of the NAS devices are mapped into windows explorer on each PC for ease of use: using standard copy and paste methods to get files from on-PC to NAS, or vice versa, just worked. But the NAS devices had to be visible to explorer on any PC when explorer opened for that to happen.

This topic revisits one I raised some months ago concerning configuring the LAN from a clean win10 install, and I abandoned the effort because the reply detail was simply inadequate to use, and follow up questions were not answered. Maybe the forum experts thought I was just dumb, but not answered. The further details below will explain that. I am hoping that this time there will be a more complete response, in detail.

Upgrading to windows 10 from 7
    method 1 - the MS preferred way - an in-place upgrade on the desktop machine. This carried over all the NAS settings in windows explorer, and under win10, I could access the NAS devices as I previously had. The internet was also available.

HOWEVER altho win 10 ran, this method broke my video studio editing applications, and as I use these extensively, on a daily basis (apart from windows , the email package and a browser, the most used applications on the machine) this method wasn't acceptable.

method 2 - a clean install. I know from other Video Studio users that a clean install runs the video studio applications successfully. So I tried the clean install approach. And this method completely disconnected the upgraded PC from any of the network stores on the LAN. The internet via the LAN was available.

And in this condition, I could not, NOT find a way to configure the NAS stores so that they could be even seen by explorer, let alone function as mapped drives. Everything I tried had missing steps, questions about this or that went unanswered. But I know it can be done under win10 because the in-place upgrade method had it just right. So, not acceptable, reverted win7, where it all works fine.

Trying again: configuring networked storage under win10
    Is there a detailed procedure for configuring a LAN-based network storage device so that it can operate as a mapped drive in windows explorer???

:)

Davidk, Jun 2, 2020
  2. Kem Mon Win User

Set Broadband Internet Connection Network Configuration

Hi,

Upon analyzing the details you have provided, kindly run the
    Network and Internet Troubleshooter
    and check if there's any changes. To run the
    troubleshooter,
    follow these steps:

• On the search bar, type
      Troubleshooting.

• Choose
      Network and Internet.

• Run the following
      Troubleshooter:

• Internet Connections.

• Network Adapter.

• Incoming Connections.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you try to
    renew
    your
    IP address. To do this, follow these steps:

• Open
      Command Prompt
      as
      Administrator.

• Type the following command:

• Ipconfig/release
        and hit
        Enter.

• Ipconfig/renew
        and hit
        Enter.

• Exit.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    is there any demand for a system configurator?

Processor(V) <--drop down arrow
    -AMD(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---AM2(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---939(V)
    ----List of CPU's
    -Intel(V)
    --Socket(V)
    ---775(V)
    ----List of cpu's
    ---771(V)
    ----List of CPU's

etc etc.

Solaris17, Jun 2, 2020
  4. Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7

Windows 10, Start menu and Explorer Quick Access configuration.

Hello,

I come from an Upgrade of Win7 to Win 10 Pro (Desktop PC using mouse and keyboard).

1) Start menu: How can I create subfolders within the menu left or right in the panel? How can I changed the alphabetic list to a self configured sorted one?

In Win7 I have had a very big sorted structure of all installed programs under Program and its folders with subfolders and there subfolders. Now all is in a terrible confusing alphabetic list.

( I.e in you can see now:

uninstall

uninstall

uninstall

uninstall

for different programs.) Also, the panel is really to small to get all my folders and programs grouped there

2) Windows Explorer - Quick Access configuration?

In Win7 the "quick access" I had configured with a lot of own settings. Rename Entries without changing the real folder name. Add some network accessed subfolders. The quick access in Win 10 is also completely terrible. No change I can do make now. Renaming
    the link will rename the real folder to! Network subfolders can no more added. Microsoft has make the things much worse in there default settings. How can I fix this?

Many thanks for an explained answer?

HaraldLangner, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7

1. Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7 - Similar Threads - Configuring Network Storage

2. what to do with folder labeled "win7" after upgrading from win7 to win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    what to do with folder labeled "win7" after upgrading from win7 to win10?: the problem is when i download a program or look at a website, it has a low picture quality and it bugs me. my theory is that my os still thinks im windows 7 because i found out that i have a folder named "win7" and the files and programs from my desktop is copied in that...
  3. performance issue after an upgrade from win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    performance issue after an upgrade from win7: i upgraded from windows 7 to 10 via usb and before my booting time was alot faster and my computer keeps frrezing in short intervals i tried troubleshooting but no issue was found i have 8gb ram i5 processor and i have around 90 gb free in my system drive and 100gb in the...
  4. Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7

Configuring Network Storage in Explorer after upgrade from win7: I have a LAN with 3 Pc's all running win7 connected. The LAN switch also connects the internet modem and 3 network attached stores for various data types (media, backups) that - because of the LAN - are independently accessible from any of the PC's. All of the NAS devices are...
  5. Blank icons after upgrading from Win7 to 1903

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank icons after upgrading from Win7 to 1903: We have a task that upgrades our Windows 7 computers to Windows 10, build 1903. Works fine with one exception. Just about all of the system/program icons on the desktop/taskbar and Start Menu are blank. SFC /scannow finds nothing, rebuilding the icon cache does nothing. One...
  6. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  7. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  8. After Upgrading from win7 to win10, nothing works.

After Upgrading from win7 to win10, nothing works.: I recently done an upgrade from Win7 Pro to Win10 Pro and having issues. For starter, the start menu doesn't open. Search, Settings, Updates & Securities, Apps & Features and the list goes on will not open. Event MS Edge doesn't open. Basically anything that belongs to...
  9. trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10

trouble accessing Win7 computer using NETWORK in Explorer from Win10: I have three computers (two are running Windows 7 and one is running Windows 10). I am trying to share files between the three machines. From both windows 7 machines, I can access all three machines. However, I cannot access either windows 7 machine from my windows 10...
  10. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716