Windows 10: Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

Discus and support Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Zazabar, May 9, 2016.

1. Zazabar Win User

Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V.

I have them both set up, but I don't seem to have any options to enable any sound in the hardware section of Hyper-V. Is it not possible to use these operating systems with sound? I used to use Windows Virtual PC 2007 and sound worked perfectly on those, both on 98 and XP.

:)

Zazabar, May 9, 2016

2. Installing a Virtual OS using Hyper-V

Windows 10 doesn't come with the XPMode that windows 7 did, you get Hyper-V not Virtual PC.. THat being said, even if you get a copy from a retail store and pay for XP, you will still have issues installing it on a Hyper-V terminal.. I run a Cluster of Hyper-V
    servers, and the XP, 2k, 98, etc all require specific Drivers that Microsoft does not provide for Hyper-V... If you end up purchasing XP retail, make sure you can find the Vmware 3.2 Driver pack from Vmware's website.. However they don't work with all hardware,
    you have to have a Dell system in order for them to actually work with XP in Hyper-V otherwise you get basic VGA drivers, no NIC, and issues with sound..

If you need XP, you are better off going back to windows 7.

themanindbox, May 9, 2016
  3. I miss XP

There may be third party apps that make it look similar to XP but I doubt you will find anything trying to emulate Win 98.

Actually you might simply be better off running a virtual windows xp machine from within windows 10 machine. In win 10 there is the ability to run "virtual" machines under something called Hyper-v. You would simply start win 10 as normal then launch hyper-v
    and from then on you could/would be working in XP

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 9, 2016
  4. Berton Win User

Virtual PC 2007 is old and could be support for newer hardware isn't there. Win98 didn't have as much in the way of drivers for various devices whether on the motherboard or as add-ins, nearly always needed driver software that accompanied the devices. The computer in your System Specs is, quite literally, too good for the old Operating Systems.

Berton, May 9, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Sound on Hyper-V seems a bit of an "Iffy" proposition -- it might work with settings in RDP when acessing the VM or you might be able to set the sound device as a Pass thru device. I think though you'd still have to get the sound via RDP.

HDMI output confuses matters still further -- an HDMI splitter could be an answer RCA (and often optical) sound out as well as Video in full HD -- these are fine and usually work up to 1920 X 1080p (full HD). Another advantage is any HDMI encryption is usually stripped off by these devices too.

There's no problems though if you have a multi-media server such as PLEX running on the VM -- sound can be played by remote devices that can access the server -- you don't even need a sound card at all on the Host if your multi-media servers are just playing on remote devices (TV's etc).

If you need sound and are running Windows as a HOST machine I would tend to go for something like vmware / vbox -- HYPER-V seems more geared to workplace type servers where sound isn't usually important.

As far as old OS'es are concerned - Para-Virtualisation is used (vmware tools etc) which provide Virtual drivers for sound / video etc so for Older OS'es using vmware and VBOX is a much better bet. Full virtualisation on older OS'es running on modern hardware is probably impossible to achieve anyway -- back in the days of Win 98 who had heard of a 64 bit CPU running a PC except in an Engineers mind in some expensive computer Lab at places like IBM etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2016
  6. Kari Win User
    Hi Zazabar, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Hyper-V only supports audio in these two cases:
    • Hyper-V Enhanced Mode > guest must be Windows 8 or later, Windows Server 2012 R2 or later
    • Remote Desktop Connection > all Windows guests, also legacy versions (Windows 7 and earlier)
    For instance I get the audio on my Windows XP Pro virtual machine in Hyper-V when starting it from the Hyper-V Manager, then connecting to it from host using Remote Desktop.

Kari, May 9, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks @Kari for clearing that up

I thought for older OS'es the probable way would have to be via RDP but wasn't sure.

Same when using HDMI as your main Monitor out too --since those earlier OS'es won't have drivers for HDMI either --RDP avoids the issue of course.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2016
  8. Zazabar Win User

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been very busy as of late. I'll check this thread again after work and have a response ready. Thanks for the posts, fellas.

Zazabar, May 13, 2016
  9. Zazabar Win User
    Alright, I finally got everything set up. I have all of my credentials set up to allow me to remotely connect to my Virtual XP and allow access to all my current computers folders and all that. The sound on my XP is still not working or enabled. I'm sure I've missed something here, I'm just not sure what.

Zazabar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Configuring sound with Windows 98 and XP on Hyper-V. - Similar Threads - Configuring sound Hyper

2. Hyper-V Sound

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V Sound: I have an Android VM running in Hyper-V on Windows 10. I would like to establish at least sound on the Android VM. I have followed the instructions as per https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/58091-use-local-devices-resources-hyper-v-virtual-machine-windows.html without...
  3. Windows XP under Hyper-V - no network or sound.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows XP under Hyper-V - no network or sound.: I’m trying to install XP under Hyper-V & although it installs fine I find that the network disconnects immediately & states little or not network, also there’s no sound as it says there’s no audio card installed. I suspect XP is too old for Hyper-V. I require an older version...
  4. Hyper-V and Windows 95/98?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V and Windows 95/98?: My main goal is to be able to play: Goosebumps Escape from HorrorLand for the PC. It is a Windows 98 point and click game. I'm trying to find out whether or not it is possible for me to use HyperV to create a Windows 95/98 VM using the existing hardware that I already have,...
  5. Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V

Sharing XP Files from Hyper-V: I'm running Windows XP on Windows 10 with Hyper-V. How do I share files between XP and the c drive on my physical computer? This was so easy with VPC 2007. 29817
  6. Can't use mouse/keyboard for windows 98 setup on hyper-v?

Can't use mouse/keyboard for windows 98 setup on hyper-v?: So I am installing a virtual machine of win 98 using hyper-v mainly for the sake of playing old games and nostalgia reasons. I get up to this part and I cannot use my mouse/keyboard anymore [img] So is there a fix to this problem? 70178
  7. Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?

Hyper-V, Windows XP, how to enable sound?: Hi, I just created a virtual machine with Windows XP. Now I'd like to get the sound working in the virtual machine. But I can't see how. Can anyone help, please? 30409
  8. Hyper-V no sound

Hyper-V no sound: Is there anyway to get sound with the various VM's that I have created in Hyper-V ? I am currently using it in 8.1 Pro. Larry 4927
  9. Hyper-V: Windows XP 64 bit > cannot configure network adapters

Hyper-V: Windows XP 64 bit > cannot configure network adapters: Hello All: I am new to Hyper-V, so please pardon any stupid question(s) . . . I have researched this but do not seem to be able to pin down my problem. I have set up the virtual machine with a legacy network adapter but it does not work (tried the other way as well and...
  10. Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V

Display Drivers for XP Not working in Hyper-V: Hello Everyone! Thank you a head of time for you time and efforts! THE QUESTION: How do I fix my display drivers in XP in my win10 Hyper-v virtual machine? WHAT HAPPENED: Installed XP in Hyper-V (Win10). For some reason now the display drivers are not installing....
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. enable wav windows 98

2. install windows 98 hyper v