Windows 10: Configuring Windows Defender/Update via Powershell/registry:

Discus and support Configuring Windows Defender/Update via Powershell/registry: in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have the following powershell script Code: Set-ItemProperty "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" -Name... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by mrjayviper, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Configuring Windows Defender/Update via Powershell/registry:

I have the following powershell script
    Code: Set-ItemProperty "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" -Name DisableAntiSpyware -Value 0x00000001 New-Item -Path "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows" -name WindowsUpdate New-Item -Path "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate"-Name AU Set-ItemProperty "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" -Name NoAutoUpdate -Value 0x00000000 Set-ItemProperty "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" -Name AUOptions -Value 0x00000002[/quote] Basically, it turns off Windows Defender and stops Microsoft from auto-updating my computer. I restarted by computer and when I checked the Windows Defender/Update settings via gpedit, the changes I made via registry are not reflected.
    As a test, I tried:
    • Deleting the entries I made.
    • Configure Windows Defender/Update via gpedit.
    • Export Windows Defender/Update registry setting.
    • Change Windows Defender/Update to an unconfigured state.
    • Close gpedit.
    • Import registry setting from step3.
    • Open gpedit again and check Windows Defender/Update. Both components are still in unconfigured state.
    As another test, I also tried:
    • Configuring Windows Defender/Update via gpedit.
    • Delete Windows Defender/Update registry setting.
    • Open gpedit again and check Windows Defender. Both components are still configured.
    Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Thanks

:)

mrjayviper, Dec 17, 2017
  2. globalr Win User

Unable to Install Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.237.1219.0): Failed [HYPER-V Core 2016]

PCR,

Can you post the answer is the below, and I will mark it as the answer?

Via powershell run the un-install command ->

Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender

-> Reboot

Via powershell run the install command ->

Install-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender

-> Reboot

-> Run Windows update

globalr, Dec 17, 2017
  3. Windows Defender in Windows 10?

I've never used the Group Policy setting for this, so I can't say whether there's any difference in the implementation. This article discusses both of the registry locations:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/defender-enable-pua-pup-adware-protection/

But the PowerShell Set-MpPreference cmdlet is now the de facto advanced configuration interface for Windows Defender on the Home edition of Windows 10; and it also greatly simplifies the configuration of Windows Defender on systems that have the Group
    Policy Editor:

Block Potentially Unwanted Applications with Windows Defender AV

Set-MpPreference (defender)

So this should probably be considered the standard interface for enabling PUA Protection. We generally only use Group Policy to set parameters that can’t be set with PowerShell, like DisableRoutinelyTakingAction:

stop windows defender from automatically removing "threats"

GreginMich, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

Configuring Windows Defender/Update via Powershell/registry:

1. Configuring Windows Defender/Update via Powershell/registry: - Similar Threads - Configuring Defender Update

2. DNS Address Configuration, Registry, PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Address Configuration, Registry, PowerShell: Does anybody know where the registry keys for these settings are located?"Obtain DNS server address automatically""Use the following DNS server addresses:"I couldn't find the settings registry keys or a command to find the source of the DNS address through Powershell or...
  3. DNS Address Configuration, Registry, PowerShell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Address Configuration, Registry, PowerShell: Does anybody know where the registry keys for these settings are located?"Obtain DNS server address automatically""Use the following DNS server addresses:"I couldn't find the settings registry keys or a command to find the source of the DNS address through Powershell or...
  4. DNS Address Configuration, Registry, PowerShell

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. An option to fast disable Windows Defender via Powershell in 20H2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    An option to fast disable Windows Defender via Powershell in 20H2?: Hello! I really need some help with disabling Windows Defender automatically using powershell or any legitimate 3rd party tool which has an option to be run from a command line. I have to configure Windows PC and VM's. It is Windows 10 Pro not server and they are not...
  6. powershell and windows defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    powershell and windows defender: everytime i start my computer powershell wants my permission to disable windows defender and a bunch of other stuff. i cant deny it permission because it just keeps asking again. why is this and how do i get rid of it?...
  7. OneDrive configuration via PowerShell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OneDrive configuration via PowerShell: Hi, after first launch and configuration of Win10, the last part which is not done automatically in my Script is OneDrive configuration. Is it possible to somehow run OneDrive from PS and then let it configure itself with already registered credentials for...
  8. Take registry key ownership via CMD or Regini or Powershell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Take registry key ownership via CMD or Regini or Powershell: Hi ! I have a little problem. In my workplace we use Win 10 IOT LTSB. I have a task that i must clear the safeboot funkction of the Windows system. I googled for solving the problem, and i get answer that i must change registry key names...
  9. Enable Hey Cortana via registry, powershell or cmd? Windows 10 v1703

in Cortana
    Enable Hey Cortana via registry, powershell or cmd? Windows 10 v1703: Is there a way to enable the "Hey Cortana" always listening voice activation option through a powershell command or registry command or even just on the command line? Trying to automate restoring Cortana through GPO after it had been disabled by GPO (corporate decisions). I...
  10. Configuration Registry Corrupted!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Configuration Registry Corrupted!: Hello, so recently I had to download iTunes on my computer so I can put some music on my friend's iPod. I noticed when iTunes installed, it rolled back the installation of AMS (Apple Mobile Support) driver. Because of this, I was not able to connect said iPod to my...