Windows 10: Confused about "Activation" of Pre-Installed Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Confused about "Activation" of Pre-Installed Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a new laptop pre-loaded with Windows 10 Pro (and other software). I want to perform various housekeeping steps (pristine image backup, recovery... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JCW2, Dec 13, 2019.

1. JCW2 Win User

Confused about "Activation" of Pre-Installed Windows 10 Pro

I have a new laptop pre-loaded with Windows 10 Pro (and other software). I want to perform various housekeeping steps (pristine image backup, recovery USB key creation, security software installation, etc.) before connecting to the Internet for security reasons. (No domain or company network here, just myself on a small home-office LAN. I do also have a running Windows 7 Pro SP1 system handy for any needed downloads.)

1) Is this even possible, or must I connect to the Internet early in the "Out of Box Experience?"

2) If it's possible to install backup software and perform other baseline tasks before connecting to the Internet, how do I complete activation later on?

(I'm assuming that the activation process is relatively manufacturer-independent, but Lenovo tells me rather vaguely that Windows is "tied to the machine" and "digitally activated." This appears to mean that I need no activation key because it is written in firmware within the machine.)

Thanks in advance for any clarification. -- JCW2

:)

2. Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Dec 13, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Confused about "Activation" of Pre-Installed Windows 10 Pro

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Confused about "Activation" of Pre-Installed Windows 10 Pro

1. Confused about "Activation" of Pre-Installed Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Confused Activation Pre

2. Activate a pre-installed Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate a pre-installed Windows 10: Hello, I have bought a new laptop Acer Aspire 5, which running by Windows 10 S. When I open the settings page it shows the following message; YOU NEED TO ACTIVATE WINDOWS BEFORE YOU CAN PERSONLISE YOUR PC. How I can find the activation key? Thank you very much for...
  3. Windows 10 activation confusion

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 activation confusion: I’m getting a new PC in a few days. It doesn’t have an activated copy of windows though. My laptop, however, does. This isn’t a laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10, I got it and it came with Windows 10. Can I transfer that copy of Windows over to my new PC? submitted by...
  4. Windows 10 pro pre installed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 pro pre installed: I want to double my ram from 8g to 16g will this cause a loss of my product key? Actually what modifications can i make without loosing the key? I have lost my key several times in the past on earlier versions of windows....
  5. Change the language for pre-installed Windows 10 Pro

Change the language for pre-installed Windows 10 Pro: Hello Support, I have a Thinkpad laptop with a German version of Windows 10 Pro pre-installed. Originally the laptop had Windows 8 (and a license key for it in the BIOS) and this was updated by the seller. What I want to do is change this installed Windows 10 Pro to...
  6. Windows 10 Activation confusion

Windows 10 Activation confusion: I have a laptop which it used to have Windows 8.1, I reset this laptop but I lost my Windows 8.1 License Key, so, I wanted to install Windows 10, I used the media creation tool to make a usb boot drive, I used it on my laptop and it worked, I did the usual setup for windows...
  7. Windows 10 activation confusion

Windows 10 activation confusion: Hello, so i've had until now (2 hours ago) a fully activated windows 10 pro, with the activation message : windows is activated with a digital license linked to your microsoft account Now, i've done a command or two, and apperantly ive messed up the entire thing, now it's...
  8. Confused about java and Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Confused about java and Windows 10: okay I use IE, Chrome and FF, I can get java installed and works properly for Chrome and FF however, IE seems to have a problem, on the java site it offers 2 different versions, one for IE and one for others but it seems no matter what I do IE refuses to see it I use WD...
  9. Confused about clean install partitions

Confused about clean install partitions: Hi all, The Clean install tutorial for USB UEFI booting mentions that 4 partitions are installed. Quoted below: The 4 partitions are these below. It is critical that these 4 partitions remain in the exact order as they are •Paritition 1 - Recovery •Partition 2 -...
  10. Still confused about downloading and installing win 10

Still confused about downloading and installing win 10: Hello all, My first call, probably just me but I am still not clear on how to go about my upgrades to win 10. I have 2 desktops and 1 Laptop. My main comp is a fairly new machine Windows 8.1Pro with OS on 250 GB SSD 64 bit second desktop: Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit...