Windows 10: Confused about clean install partitions

Discus and support Confused about clean install partitions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, The Clean install tutorial for USB UEFI booting mentions that 4 partitions are installed. Quoted below: The 4 partitions are these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GregH, Aug 24, 2015.

1. GregH Win User

Confused about clean install partitions

Hi all,

The Clean install tutorial for USB UEFI booting mentions that 4 partitions are installed. Quoted below:

The 4 partitions are these below. It is critical that these 4 partitions remain in the exact order as they are
    •Paritition 1 - Recovery
    •Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
    •Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
    •Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

Why are 4 partitions necessary and does this mean I am going to have a C\, D\, E\ and F\ all on that one disc? Do I have to do it this way. As I have other SSD and HDD discs, don't really want multiple partitions. Is it better like this?

This is for my Desktop PC, not a laptop

:)

GregH, Aug 24, 2015

2. failed update

I have spent days looking at all sorts of solutions to failed updates. I still cannot install them and am now totally confused about what will happen now.

Will these updates be sent to my computer again at a later date?

I have downloaded Win 10 to a memory stick. If I install from this, will it install as an upgrade or as a clean install?

If it is a clean install, will it create a partition or will it overwrite Win7?

tonywright, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Clean Install Confusion

Hi Bron,

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

1. Do you want to perform a clean installation of the Windows 10?

2. In which drive have you taken the backup please specify exactly?

It is never safe to delete any system files or setup files of the system without taking backup of those files.

Reply us with the above information to assist you better.

Anup Karkal, Aug 24, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Once Windows 10 is installed, you can right click on "This PC" in file explorer, click Manage, then I think it is Disk Management. The only drive letter you need assigned is C: for your Windows operating system partition, the other partitions do not need drive letters. You right click on each partition listed and "Change or remove drive letter" and you can make your drives and partitions whatever drive letters you want (except for WIndows, once it is installed) and remove drive letters from those partitions you don't need to access.

You can even create an empty folder and then map an entire partition or disk to it.

Once the system boots and control is handed over to the Operating System, it is the OS that controls the drive letters. That's why people who dual boot will end up with their Windows 7 on drive C: when booted into Windows 7 and Windows 10 will be on drive C: when booted into Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Aug 24, 2015
  5. GregH Win User
    Awesome thanks a mil! Going to do this now as I am not happy with the way Windows is behaving after an upgrade install.

GregH, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Confused about clean install partitions - Similar Threads - Confused clean install

2. Windows 11 clean install overall confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 clean install overall confusion: New Dell inspiron 16 5260, 16gb ram, 1TB ssd- attempting a clean install from usb drive. New to the procedure, so learning/struggling as I go. 'Was unable to detect drives once I finally getting to "custom install" screen also a learning process- initially did f2 and set bios...
  3. Clean Install - Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install - Partitions: Hello Forum, I attempted to clean install Win 10 Pro v1909 from ISO on a DVD. I simply clicked on the ISO setup file, and let the system do its thing. Typically, I end up doing these clean installs several times for various reasons. This was my first attempt at a clean...
  4. Windows clean installation confusion

Windows clean installation confusion: I am trying to do a fresh clean install of windows 10 by "Just delete my files" option because windows is not working properly as it should due to many bugs and corrupt or missing system files or services. I have a few doubts regarding this and I need help for that. 1. Will...
  5. Clean Install Partitions Query

Clean Install Partitions Query: My laptop has become somewhat slow to login and switch between accounts. I want to do a clean install. See the partition map below. The 500GB SSD has two main partitions - C: for system files and X: for backups. I'm happy to wipe C: and the other system partitions but want to...
  6. Confusing partitions on HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Confusing partitions on HDD: I have 2 HP laptops running Windows 10. The nice thing about having two is the ability to compare them when something looks a little off or suspicious.One of my laptops had a terrible time with upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 (Computer A). The other was very smooth (Computer...
  7. Clean Install Partition Question

Clean Install Partition Question: Hi, I just did a clean install of Windows 10 Home x64. After watching a few YT videos I am now a bit concerned. After selecting "custom installation" I get to the drive screen. I have an SSD and an HDD for data. The HDD I left alone and for the SSD I deleted all the...
  8. Confused about Secure Boot being Enabled before Win10 clean installs

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Confused about Secure Boot being Enabled before Win10 clean installs: I am kind of mixed up and confused and have been given mixed answers on my question here (on different forums). I have created a Win10 bootable USB recently with the Media Creation Tool and in the UEFI settings, I enabled Secure Boot. Of course, with Secure Boot being...
  9. About "clean install"

About "clean install": Windows 10 has a recovery option, comprising of two choices. I know the differences among them, so, yeah. My question is: what's the difference(s) between a bootable disc and recovery? 37283
  10. Confused about License requirement for clean install...

Confused about License requirement for clean install...: I have a PC I want to install Windows 10 on, clean. I have a Win 7 Pro license key. In instructions I read about installs it says to use a Windows 10 license key. As you probably guess, can I install Windows 10 from a USB drive and use a Windows 7 Pro license key? 37296