Windows 10: Confused about EFS encryption

Discus and support Confused about EFS encryption in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Meisha, May 31, 2019.

1. Meisha Win User

Confused about EFS encryption

EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page:
    Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free I am from encryption now. The note says the system will still encrypt when copying files, and I'm only safe from encryption when moving files. I'm not sure if that means my system will continue to encrypt a file every time I copy it, or if I'll be free of the problem now. Could anyone please tell me in which circumstances my system will continue to encrypt my files? Thank you for your help!

:)

Meisha, May 31, 2019

2. Win 10 pro EFS Encrypting File System Problem (Dell)

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to help you.

I suggest you to start the Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • Search for Encrypting File System (EFS) Service.
    • Double click on Encrypting File System (EFS) Service and click on
      Start button.
    • Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to
      Automatic.
    If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to post the same question in TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue. Follow the below link to post your question in TechNet forum.

Technet forums

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, May 31, 2019
  3. desk77 Win User
    Backup the EFS encryption key file

Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker.
    I did some search online and I got the list of all encrypted files: there are thousands of files and belongs to Apps, like facebook, onedrive, inkscape and so on.
    So my questions are:
    • why did that message suddenly appear?
    • why are those files encrypted?
    • do those files have to be encrypted?
    • bitdefender has just found Gen:Trojan.Heur2.GZ.@FZ@bq2Abpn in temp folder. Could I have got a ransomware that is encrypting all files?
    Thanks in advance!

desk77, May 31, 2019
  4. Confused about EFS encryption

Can I recover encrypted files with EFS without having key.pfx file ?

Hi Michael,

The Encrypting File System (EFS) is a built-in encryption tool for Windows. It is used to encrypt files and folders on your computer. You can reverse the encryption to access your files again. To decrypt folders, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the folder or file, then click Properties.
    • Click the General tab, then click Advanced.
    • Uncheck the Encrypt contents to secure data checkbox.
    • If you are decrypting folders, select the option Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files.
    • Click OK, then click OK again to exit the window.
    Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Johann Eva, May 31, 2019
Thema:

Confused about EFS encryption

1. Confused about EFS encryption - Similar Threads - Confused EFS encryption

2. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  3. EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EFS encryption: Does anyone know how to open/unlock files that have been encrypted using the Windows 10 EFS security when the motherboard quits and the SSD and HDD have been encrypted using the EFS?Windows 10 Proto encrypt: select folder in explorer>r click properties>general...
  4. EFS encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  6. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFS encrypted files: I don't have the encryption certificate but seem to have the encryption file key on a USB drive. Is there a way to recover a deleted certificate? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/efs-encrypted-files/7e1a837d-3e08-4156-8e6f-f3b71ecc89d4
  7. EFS encrypted files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. EFS encryption for OneDrive folders

EFS encryption for OneDrive folders: Hi, in our organization we have EFS encryption policy to encrypt all files and folders in Desktop and Documents. We are going to activate OneDrive For Business backup know folders synchronization but EFS stopped to encrypt local files on the Desktop everything ok for...
  9. Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS)

Question about Windows Encrypting File System (EFS): Hi I've been playing around with EFS but I cannot currently test this one thing that popped to my mind. I have a laptop with an SSD (Local disk C:\) and a HD (Local disk D:\). Windows installed on SSD, personal files kept on HD. Windows is protected with a user account with...
  10. Confused about EFS encryption

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused about EFS encryption: EFS encryption has never been anything but trouble for me (and probably for most people), and I would love to be able to turn it off completely. I followed the steps on this page: Disable Auto Encrypt Files Moved to EFS Encrypted Folders in Windows and I'm wondering how free...